Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old boka30

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
boka30 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-25-02 , 11:59 AM

when someone says that their ring is say 3 carats...is that usaually the total carat weight of the ring?

for example...i have seen 3 carat rings advertised but in reality the total carat weight of the ring is 3 carat...not the center stone.

How do most people describe their ring size? By total carat weight or center stone weight?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GIA

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
GIA is on a distinguished road

Depends...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-25-02 , 12:57 PM

Hi boka30,

When I look around for diamond rings, I notice that most places advertise the ring's total weight (center stone and any accent diamonds included) to make the whole piece seem more. Often you have to ask the retailer specifically the carat weight of the center stone.

Not too many people have asked me "What's the carat weight." Many people that I know think that asking is somewhat rude. But there are those who do ask, especially if they are really close to you. On those rare ocassions someone asks me what the carat size of my ring is, I usually tell them the carat weight of my center stone, then tell them the carat weight of each of my side stones (I have a three stone ring). I think if someone wanted their carat weight to seem bigger, then someone would probably just combine all the carats and say "oh its a three carat" instead of explaining "Well the main stone is two carat and each of the side stones is half a carat" etc.

That's for engagement rings though. For wedding bands that have diamonds, I think most people just say the total carat weight. I have an eternity wedding band (diamonds all around) and I usually just give the total carat weight instead of explaining the points of each and how many there are etc.

GIA signature
Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
dazzled is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-25-02 , 06:25 PM

In order to communicate clearly and honestly, you should indicate the details of your jewelry piece, such as: 3 carat total gem weight (center stone 2 carat) OR if the ring has many stones, you could say total gem weight, 3 carats, contains 24 baguette and round cut stones.

Those who say a ring is 3 carats when there are multiple stones are usually advertising in an attention-grabbing way; such as "Look! A 3 carat diamond ring only $299!!!). It is phoney.

dazzled signature
Astrologer, rock-hound, estate jewelry, connoisseur of beauty
Old mgmsrk

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
mgmsrk is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=43, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-25-02 , 07:06 PM

Do you mean when you talk about your own ring or when someone is selling a ring?
When I see rings for sale they are usually done by tcw than broken down by center stone and than side stones.
If I was to describe my ring to someone I would tell them the center stone size than the size of the side stones. I dislike when people ask how big is that diamond? (except for friends and DT members) I find it rude and normally respond with "I'm sorry did you just ask me what size my diamond is? Why in the world would want to know that?
That normally puts them off. If I like some ones ring I just say wow that is a beautiful ring. I do not need to know how many carats it is. Plus if you have seen many diamonds you can guess pretty close to the size on site.

Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
erin is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-25-02 , 08:52 PM

I think it's cheating to add the total carat weight in when describing a ring unless it's a three stone ring and the two sidestones are pretty large. I just want to know the carat weight of the big stone.

Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

If someone asked...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-25-02 , 11:50 PM

...and I felt *comfortable* answering such a question, I would say .44 carats, even though the total weight is .56 carats. I really only think about the center diamond.

I always assume that it's total weight when I see a ring for sale.

I love my ring.

Em

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic How long is a GIA report valid by westiepup
Up a Topic preliminary fittings posted in Your Proposal & Wedding Stories by clapton
Older:
Down a Topic My new ring from Juan yay by BridgetB
Down a Topic My new ring from Juan yay posted in DIAMONDS by BridgetB