Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 123

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
123 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-07-02 , 09:10 PM

Given that the cut, color, and clarity of a given diamond is all ideal, what would you say is the perfect size carat stone? I know that you would love anything your significant other were to give you etc. and that size is a personal choice. That said, what size diamond would you consider to be realistically ideal. I'm trying to get an average size concensus of what's considered to be a decent sized stone out there.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-07-02 , 09:13 PM

I personally like 0.75-1.00 carats.

Old dbeth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
dbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-07-02 , 09:16 PM

It really depends on your personal preference. Everyone is different. Have you looked at different size stones? For me it would be 1.0-1.25. I currently have a 1 carat. I use to want a 1.5 carat, until I saw my friends, and then I thought it was to big. Some like bigger stones, and some even like smaller stones under 1 ct. If you havn't done so yet, shop around and try different sizes on.

Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

if we are just dreaming here....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-07-02 , 09:17 PM

I'd love to have 2 or 3 ct.....but realistically that would never happen!! =o)
Jess

Old dbeth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

size
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-07-02 , 09:20 PM

I forgot to mention, when you have an ideal cut, they do look bigger than the actual size. People at work always think mine is bigger than 1 carat. (i also have a cathedral setting, so that might add to it.) My friend has a 1.55, and two people at work thought ours was around the same size with hers being " a tad bit bigger". I thought WHOA........there is a HUGE difference between 1 ct and 1.55 ct. But, maybe they don't pay attention to size.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-07-02 , 09:21 PM

It seriously depends on your social circle, your geographic region, and the size of your fingers. However, you're unlikely to go too terribly wrong with a 1.0-1.5.

Quote:
I know that you would love anything your significant other were to give you etc.

I never said that!!! I actually wanted something smaller than he would have bought on his own, however I wanted a better cut than he would have gotten.

Shelby

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 202
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-07-02 , 09:29 PM

Well, for a guy, it's different since I think far fewer men wear diamond rings than women. I tried to wear a woman once, but never mind.

I have a .5 ct which is rather special, but a little small. I am still happy to own it, but prefer about 1.25 ct (7 mm) for a ring. It's noticeable but not outrageous.

A former co-worker had a 1.4 ct stone and we all thought it was positively massive. Personally, I think about a 1 ct makes a fine solitaire for a lady.

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
Suching is on a distinguished road

Depends
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-07-02 , 09:36 PM

on whether you are talking about a round or fancy shape. My Ideal size round would be about 1.5-2.0 ct, but since fancies tend to look a little bigger, I'd be happy with a 1.0-1.5 which I have!

Old kimberly

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
kimberly is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

a question of size?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-08-02 , 01:02 AM

If you have lots of money to spend, two carats is great however if you really do your research you will realize that proportion is king.....go for as close to a perfect cut as you can get and your stone will sparkle like the star it is!

Old ReferenceOrganism

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ReferenceOrganism is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-08-02 , 01:15 AM

Personally, I think a 1-1.25 ct centerstone for a three-stone ring and 1.25-1.5 ct for a solitaire would be ideal.

ReferenceOrganism signature
"Happiness is a warm puppy."- Charles Schulz
Old siloxane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
siloxane is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-08-02 , 01:51 AM

Personally, I believe the size of the stone depends on the desired setting. The setting, especially if there are sidestones can enhance the beauty of a stone or distract attention from the stone. Additionally, the wrong setting can make a beautiful stone (of any size) look tacky. My personal preference is under a carat, but I really do not care for solitares, and my opinion may be biased.

Old GIA

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
GIA is on a distinguished road

1 - 1.25 MAX
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 02-08-02 , 01:51 AM

Personally, I prefer 1 to 1.25 carat stones. Anything bigger is just too ostentatious for me since I am petite and wear a size 2 1/2 ring.

GIA signature
Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

My dream stone...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 02-08-02 , 01:57 AM

I almost had it! But we won't go there...

My dream stones are:

First choice: a 3 carat, G-J color, VVS-SI1 clarity, Old European cut;

Second choice: a 2 carat G-I VVS Eight Star.

I'm 5'9", and wear a size 14 (finally!)...I've never been accused of being petite, and anything under a carat and a half looks too small on my size 7.5 ring finger.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 02-08-02 , 03:03 AM

I think that depends on the social class, and the woman's preference.

For the middle class, I think a decent-size stone is minimum one carat. Again, it also depends on the woman's preference.

Personally, I love the look of big rocks (+2 carats), but I don't think I can carry it off tastefully. It would look too big on me. I'm quite petite, and already, people think my one-carat is huge. It's relative, really. If an average-height woman wore my ring, it wouldn't look as big.

In fact, a related situation happened today. This morning, my boss yelled for his partner to look at my ring. "Hey, come look at Eva's ring! It's HUGE!"

I was really embarrassed. I was the new design intern. I didn't want that sort of attention. I stammered,"No, no, it's only one carat!"

My boss was amazed. He said, "Really?? My wife's ring is one carat . . . !" He actually took my hand, and stared at my stone.

His partner arrived, and stared at my hand, too. He smiled, and said,"That's very nice!"

What's ironic is that my boss and his partner are architects. They're experts at size and proportions. It's obvious I'm petite, and thus, my stone is not huge. It's relative. Their reaction surprised me.

[Edited by empresseva on 02-08-02 at 02:12 AM]

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Emerald cut...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 02-08-02 , 03:11 AM

1.5 to 2.0 carats. But not for a few years!!!

Old dbeth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

ring size....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 02-08-02 , 06:55 AM

I was asked twice AGAIN, if my 1 carat was a 1.25...... I guess cut really makes a difference!!

Old JennyWeatherman

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 77
JennyWeatherman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 02-08-02 , 08:30 AM

On me, I prefer round brillinants from 1.0 to 1.25. I like fancies a little larger-about 1.30. (1.50 in a princess since they are a deep cut).

Old BirdofParadise

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
BirdofParadise is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 02-08-02 , 10:46 AM

I think it is a function of age, economic situation, size of hands, length of fingers, size of other jewelry, taste, etcetera. Most women look great with stones around 1 to 1.5 carats, but some women can get away with much larger diamonds. Once you cross the 4 carat line, however, I would say you enter into the world of flash, not good taste.

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 02-08-02 , 02:19 PM

For me, proportions are very important. I've seen large diamonds on young women with small hands, and everytime I look the diamond just looks too big and flashy. On the other hand, a one carat would look small on a woman with large hands. I'd love a one carat, but my .82 looks proportionally perfect for my 4.25 size finger. Not too big, not too small.

Are you buying for a woman? If so, the safest bet is probably to get at least a carat, but no bigger than 1.5, unless her hands are very large.

Old BCGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BCGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 02-08-02 , 02:29 PM

I have fairly long fingers, ring finger is size 5 1/2. I'm almost 5 ' 7".

I was married pretty young; my hubby had bought me a .76 round from a mall store. That marriage unfortunately did not last; but the good news is that I recently became engaged again to a really terrific guy. This time, we decided to buy me the dream diamond (well, at least, as close to the dream as I could get) I got a 1.76 carat round, F, VS1, lovely cut. I had it set in a Scott Kay platinum setting with four smaller rounds (total of about 1/2 carat, I think). I think the ring looks stunning on my finger and I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. But if I had won the lottery for money instead of the lottery for men, I would have opted for a two carat center stone of the same quality. That would be my dream. Beyond two carats I think would look too flashy.

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Suching is on a distinguished road

Hi BCGirl
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 02-08-02 , 02:36 PM

You and I are about the same size! I'm also "almost" 5'7 with a 5 1/2 ring size with long fingers! and congratulations on your engagement. If you look at my post above, you'll notice that your new engagement ring is *exactly* what I think is tasteful in a round!

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 02-08-02 , 02:36 PM

I think 1 - 1.25ct is the perfect size for me, but it has to be well cut I should say that's for a round; for a fancy I would go a little smaller, probably just around 1ct, although for a princess I would go a bit bigger, probably 1.25 - 1.5ct. Anything bigger than that would be wearing me instead of me wearing it.

Old CherylP

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CherylP is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 02-08-02 , 02:45 PM

I think I would probably like 1.75 - 2 carats; I'm 5'9" tall and wear a size 6 - 6.5 ring (6 fits just fine on my left hand, but I like my rings 1/2 a size bigger to allow for summer swelling).

Of course, I wouldn't object to something even bigger!

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
emil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 02-08-02 , 02:57 PM

123 -- I don't think there is any perfect size! It truly depends on each individual's taste, and your budget. In some areas of the country/social groups most people have over a carat, but in others .50 ct is more usual.

Are you shopping for yourself, or your future fiancée?? If it's for your girl, then you DO need to find out what her preference is. Lots of girls think anything under 1 ct isn't enough "rock." I thought that once, until I tried some on, and realized that around 3/4 looked better on my hand, and would be more practical to wear all the time. I prefer higher color/clarity in a smaller stone, but others don't mind an H Si1 and would rather have the size. If you think you need to get a carat then consider choosing one slightly under 1.0. A Superideal cut in the .90-.99 range will look just as big as a mall diamond that is just over 1.0 ct.

You need to decide what your budget is, then decide what your minimum color/clarity grades are. Then pick the largest ideal cut you can get for your budget. If you haven't read Diasurfers story of how he chose his diamond take a look at it. You will find it very helpful.

Old BCGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BCGirl is on a distinguished road

Hi, Suching
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 02-08-02 , 05:35 PM

Thanks for the congrats, Suching!

I think the size 1 3/4 carats looks great on long fingers like ours. Sizable but not too extreme. I'd definitely recommend it for ladies of our size/shape.

Since this lovely sparkler landed on my finger earlier this week, I've wondered if I suddenly won a cash lottery if I'd trade up for my dream 2 carat. It really would not be THAT much different from 1 3/4 carats, would it? I think I would try to be content with what I have, even if I could afford more. I tend to make myself crazy wanting stuff, so I'm really trying to learn to be happy with all the good fortune I already have. Do you other DT folks feel similarly?

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I bought a ring by AuburnTiger
Up a Topic I bought a ring posted in DIAMONDS by AuburnTiger
Older:
Down a Topic Erin Small Heart Mounting Idea by Cassandra
Down a Topic Erin Small Heart Mounting Idea posted in DIAMONDS by Cassandra