Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old rml80

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
rml80 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-06-02 , 11:24 AM

I am seriously considering purchasing a moissanite ring from Spencer-Spencer.com. I'm looking a an emerald cut stone. Suposedly they offer stones in the near colorless range. The ones i have seen in person have been too yellow for my taste. I really can't see spending a lot for diamond when the money can be put to much better use. What do others think about moissanite? Can it pass for the real thing? Pros cons etc... Also has anyone dealt with this vendor before? I really apprcaite the input.
Thanks
Roxanne

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-06-02 , 11:30 AM

All of the moissanites I have seen are in the I-M color range. If you like warmer stones, than the moissanites are a good choice of simulants. They are more durable than CZs, and won't cloud up over time.

Old Jasmyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Jasmyn is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-06-02 , 11:36 AM

By passing for the real thing, I'm guessing you mean does it look like a diamond? As much as almost any clear hard thing would look like a diamond. There are two things that give moissanite away. 1) The color - it tends to be yellowish green, and if you want an emerald cut, any color in the stone is going to show up VERY well. 2) The refraction - Moissanite is doubly refractive while diamonds are singly refractive. The doubling effect does give it a lot more sparkle (twice the number of 'sparks' shooting out) but it also clearly marks it as NOT a diamond. Once again, because of the large table in emerald cuts, this will show clearly.

You would most likely be better off with one of the high end simulants. Right now, I think Louisa ( http://www.stellargem.com ) is the only one who has emerald cuts. Less ( http://www.betterthandiamond.com ) is working on an emerald cut if I remember correctly, but they most likely won't be ready for at least another month or so. I don't know if Juan ( http://www.van-graff.com) will custom cut an emerald for you, but it's worth asking him. An additional plus is that as far as I know, all of these simulants (while NOT super cheap) cost less than moissanite, and a lot less than diamonds.

Good luck!!!

Old JustBrowsing

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JustBrowsing is on a distinguished road

Moissanite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-06-02 , 01:52 PM

I have a 6.5 mm round moissanite and I think it is absolutely gorgeous.....sometimes. In certain lighting I can definately see the green tint. Other times it looks extremely white. No one has ever questioned it and I have received many compliments on it. I think it is a good simulant if the color doesn't bother you.

Old Stellargem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Stellargem is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=457, In=0

In My Honest Opinion
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-06-02 , 02:04 PM

I think Moissanite is a very beautiful stone in its own right. I love the way it refracts the light. BUT, I really would not recommend it in anything above a 0.5 ct. The smaller sizes make the color less obvious, but in larger sizes it seems to exaggerate the color issue. A friend of mine bought a pair of 1.5 ct Moissanite earrings (3ctw) when it first came out. And honestly she HATEs them, they are so green/yellow.

I have not seen a moissanite emerald so I can not comment on it. But I would recommend an alternative to moissanite in anything larger than 0.5 ct.

Thanks louisa

Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Diamond in the Ruck is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-06-02 , 10:10 PM

I've see Moissanite fool 6 out of 8 Pawn Shops and Mall jewelers. (Yes It was fun). I like moissanite. It is a very unique gem. Very good brillance and fire. If you are looking for something that will pass as a diamond, a simulant such as listed above would be better. If you want sparkle and a little color Moissanite is for you. Really the final decision is up to you. You seem to have a grasp on what you are buying. I would make sure that you can return it if you don't like the color when you see it.
Rucker

[Edited by diamond in the ruck on 02-06-02 at 09:11 PM]

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17651, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-06-02 , 11:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diamond in the Ruck
[B]I've see Moissanite fool 6 out of 8 Pawn Shops and Mall jewelers. (Yes It was fun). I like moissanite. It is a very unique gem. Very good brillance and fire. If you are looking for something that will pass as a diamond, a simulant such as listed above would be better. If you want sparkle and a little color Moissanite is for you. Really the final decision is up to you. You seem to have a grasp on what you are buying. I would make sure that you can return it if you don't like the color when you see it.
Rucker

[Edited by Van Graff on 02-06-02 at 10:35 PM]

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-07-02 , 01:34 AM

Juan
Were you going to say something?
Just wondering what the quote was for?
Rucker

Old Marvin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Marvin is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=965, In=1

Fool Pawn shops
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-07-02 , 09:05 AM

I've see Moissanite fool 6 out of 8 Pawn Shops and Mall jewelers.

I don't know of a pawnshop in the unitedStates that don't have equipment to test Moissanite.Any dummy can see the difference.Cost per tester $149.00

Give us pawndealers a break,we lend money on this stuff,when it's your money ,you can tell the difference.

6 out of 8,hello
I'm not in touch with Mall Stores so I can't defend them ,but pawnshops are not being fooled

Marvin

Marvin signature
Selling to the trade only
Yo!,Got Diamond Studs and Mellee
Type to get Wholesale price list(Trade Only)

Looking to buy Native American Items.Baskets, rugs,Old pawn jewerly,Ivory,artifacts

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17651, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-07-02 , 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond in the Ruck
I've see Moissanite fool 6 out of 8 Pawn Shops and Mall jewelers. (Yes It was fun). I like moissanite. It is a very unique gem. Very good brillance and fire. If you are looking for something that will pass as a diamond, a simulant such as listed above would be better. If you want sparkle and a little color Moissanite is for you. Really the final decision is up to you. You seem to have a grasp on what you are buying. I would make sure that you can return it if you don't like the color when you see it.
Rucker

[Edited by diamond in the ruck on 02-06-02 at 09:11 PM]

Rucker, I dont know what happen to my post but I said that the only way for a pawn shop or jeweler to be fooled by a moissanite is if they are drunk.
Moissanite is the worst diamond simulant, it has bi-refrigency, a terrible greenish color and inside the stones with the loupe you can see fibers like inclusions that they call "micro-pipes", really I dont think that the moissanite is a good diamond simulant, any generic cz is much better diamond simulant and at much lower price.
Moissanite fooled some people when it was introduced because the thermo-sensor or diamond tester passed the Moissanite as natural diamond, but any jeweler just with a 10x loupe could determine that this was not a diamond.

If you like off color stones in the green and brown color shades, you can find natural stones for a fraction the cost of the Moissanite, just my opinion

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

The funny thing about moissanite...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-07-02 , 12:19 PM

is that people who've seen it either really like it (like me), or really dislike it. There really isn't a middle ground.

The only way to determine whether or not it's a simulant that is good for you is to actually see it in person. Take a Van Graff, regular CZ, and any other simulants you may be condsidering and put them all side by side. Which one is most appealing to your eyes? That's the one to go with.

Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 02-07-02 , 01:05 PM

Marvin,
Well maybe the jewelers and Pawnshops that I went to were idiots. But I took it to 4 pawnshops and 4 jewelers. 3 of each said it was a diamond. Each of the three pawnshops wanted to buy it. I could have sold it for a profit but that is not right. Anyway I was just stating my experience. I did this test and those were the results. Maybe the pawnshops in this area are a bunch of drunks as Van Graff suggested. Very possible, however they didn't seem like it to me. The more likely thing is they were uneducated and without their 149 dollar diamond/Moissanite tester. It always baffles me when people argue with other peoples actual experiences. This is what happened to me. I can't deny it. I saw it with my own eyes. Hello.
Van Graff,
Point taken. When I responded to rml80 it was to the post about Moissanite. I was giving my experience with Moissanite. I like Moissanite. I think that I would also like a Van-Graff. I also said that if you are looking for something that will pass as a diamond then go with one of the dealers above. I think that you were one of them. No hard feelings eh?
Rucker

Old Zorph

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Zorph is on a distinguished road

Pawnshops
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 02-07-02 , 02:23 PM

I would imagine that they looked at the Moissanite and assumed it was a diamond. I would hope that they would do a more extensive test before they really bought it.

Did they look at it through a loupe or a scope?

I quess it is like a car, you can glance at it and think it is worth something, but before you buy it. You are going to look it over very closely.

Old ringbuff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ringbuff is on a distinguished road

Moissanite Angst!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 02-07-02 , 05:06 PM

I have been visiting DT for the past few weeks and have been reading many of the posts in "stealth" mode. From my visits I have learned many things ranging from jewelry cleaners, Van Graaf, Asha, pizza rings, hearts and arrows, hearts on fire, 8*, Rostar, relationships, jealousy, envy, too big, too small, and on and on. The most fascinating observation that I have witnessed (and which has actually prompted me to come out of hiding) is that the mere mention of "moissanite" causes some of you to react with such negative passion for the darned thing.

Now, I have said all that to make a comment. Why is it that if someone posts a positive comment about Asha or Van Graaf "passing" for a diamond, not one person voices a negative response? No one asks, "did the jeweler look under a 10x loupe?" Nor does anyone question the jeweler's credentials or sobriety. However, the same cannot be said for moissanite. Not only is the item questioned, the wearer and the jeweler is as well. Practically, the whole forum goes into a near frenzy against it.

The reasons stated are also absurd. People who are against it claim that they just can't see spending that much on a simulant (oh, I hope I used the right terminoloy, or I'm toast!). However, the Asha is being sold for almost the same amount and no one is bothered by that.

People are writing in for opinions on the stone. It is obvious to me from the vastly differing opinions that you are probably all correct. However, you're looking at different things. I have seen with my own eyes moissanite with a minty green hue. I agree that it is hideous. I have seen cz's that are chalky that once appeared radiant. I agree that it is also hideos. I do have an own both I-J moissanites and beautiful high quality cz's. I think that they are both beautiful. The moissanites are stunning and I happen to love the look. They appear slightly yellow in few lighting situations. 98% of the time it sparkles like crazy. I would be equally happy with the cz's so long as they maintain their brilliance.

It used to be said, "if you want to start an argument, just mention politics or religion." Should we also add the word moissanite? Slowly I turn......

Old Jasmyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Jasmyn is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 02-07-02 , 05:13 PM

I cry out against moissanite as a diamond simulant because I don't think it looks diamond-like enough. I would say the same for a 'standard' cz.

On it's own, moissanite is a cool stone - interesting color, cool refraction. However, IMO, as a diamond imitation, it is out performed by many other stones.

Also, as a jeweler/pawn broker, the fact that moissanite is doubly refractive should immeadiately send up red flags if someone brings one in to sell as a 'diamond'. So when someone says to the relatively well educated (gem wise) that a jeweler thought a moissanite was the real thing, a general shout of shock and amazement goes up that something so obvious could be missed.

Old goldenswan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
goldenswan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 02-07-02 , 05:44 PM

Hi,

I've seen a heart-cut moissanite lately. It's lovely and does look like a J or M color . But moissanite is moissanite . It is not diamond simulant .

Too bad I can't buy it this month because I've bought a new trinocular microscope .

I wouldn't buy a moissanite if I can't see it and inspect it under 10x loupe because of the tubular or "Micro-pipes" inclusions . It happened to me when I bought it from a Jeweler on Ebay in December . It took a month to get refund back !

I'm wearing Van-Graff everyday & everyone think it's diamond .

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 02-07-02 , 06:04 PM

Ive never seen a moissanite in person. The only places Ive seen them are on the web. Truthfully I have had my doubts about the pictures Ive seen because most of the sites Ive visited that sell moissanite are much cleaner and more resemble czs or fine diamonds - some of the moissanite sites had one or two stones actually discolored - these were referred to as a special color collection.
DT has had a few pictures of moissanite and I can see the warmer tones clearly so I have to wonder why moissanite retailers don't have genuine moissanite represent their moissanite if Im correct.
The big that I don't trust is that usually all sales are final.

Old Polyhex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Polyhex is on a distinguished road

Re: Moissanite Angst!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 02-07-02 , 07:56 PM

Quote:
However, the same cannot be said for moissanite. Not only is the item questioned, the wearer and the jeweler is as well. Practically, the whole forum goes into a near frenzy against it.

Ringbuff, you're right. The whole reason that I found this forum was because I was looking for opinions on moissanite, and I stumbled into an "It sucks!" thread.

One of the reasons that people feel very strongly about it, I think, is that it is not advertised that moissanite has been produced in different colors and clarity grades. Charles and Colvard certainly doesn't. Some of the people who feel strongly against moissanite have seen hideously moss green versions and/or those with obvious tubular inclusions. I have seen moissanites with the green tint, and they are shockingly ugly. People begin to feel that moissanite is a marketing ploy by Charles and Colvard designed to rip off the average consumer by selling her an ugly, poor diamond simulation under the guise that, "It fools even experts!" (Read: old diamond testers.) People get angry, not because they are selfish and mean-spirited, but because they genuinely don't want to see others misled.

That being said, I have seen and purchased I-J-K color moissanites without a green tint, and without obvious inclusions. If you enjoy warmer colored stones (and I do), they are very beautiful. The fire is amazing. They also come in sizes that the high-quality diamond sims, VG, Stellar, and Asha, do not, from .02 on up. My fiance's engagement ring (I'm the female, but we both wear an e-ring) is set with a beautiful .33 moissanite, and will be for a year or two, until I replace it with a H&A diamond. I showed him samples of moissanite first, and he loved it. In small sizes, it is wearable 'as' a diamond. In sizes above .50 round, the differences become more obvious, and while moissanite remains beautiful in its own right, it's not a great diamond simulant. If I ever own a large moissanite, I would wear it as a moissanite, not a diamond. I'd be happy and proud to tell people what it is. However, I'd still wear a VG, Stellar, or Asha in the same size 'as' a diamond. In my opinion, moissanite is moissanite, the above mentioned are diamond simulants.

My advice for the original poster would be to see the moissanite in person first, and in different lighting conditions, or make sure the company has a rock-solid return policy. In a decent sized emerald cut, the moissanite will probably only "pass" for the casual or uninformed viewer. However, she may enjoy the look of moissanite so much that this consideration is not important for her.

Is that any better, Ringbuff?

Oh! And I forgot. There is an eBay dealer with the best moissanite prices I've found online AND a return policy whom I have purchased beautiful, I-J-K color moissanite from. I noted some complaints about moissanite dealers somewhere in this thread. I don't mean to be a walking advertisement or anything, but if you need his eBay ID, I can provide it.

Old rml80

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
rml80 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 02-07-02 , 10:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I may be more confused now then I was when I first posted :^) but at least I have some very good information and some solid issues I need to consider before we make any purchases. I LOVE DT! Everyone is such a big help.
RML

Old ringbuff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Insulted? I Hope Not.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 02-08-02 , 10:52 AM

Quote:
People get angry, not because they are selfish and mean-spirited, but because they genuinely don't want to see others misled.

I am so sorry if anyone on this post took my post the wrong way, especially Polyhex. I never meant to imply that the motive for people on this forum being "anti-moissanite" is because they are selfish and mean-spirited. If anyone took anything I said in that fashion, I sincerely apologize! If anything, I was only trying to bring out an observation that I made visiting the forum. It seems that moissanite is very "hot" topic here, but I never meant to even slightly imply that any of you have a "hatred" for it because you are mean-spirited. (I think I'll crawl back into the closet now!).

As I stated in my previous post, All of you on this forum have provided a wealth of information on too many topics to even mention. I can tell that you are all very caring individuals who wouldn't waste their time if they weren't trying to sincerely help someone out.

I do agree with your advice also, Polyhex and was trying to bring that out in my previous post by stating that perhaps people were looking at different qualities of moissanite and therefore having vastly differing opinions on it. I would suggest someone looking at it first before purchasing it. I would also recommend the same for Asha and Van Graff as well as any other purchase.

When I purchased my moissanite, I too researched it and visited a local jewelry store to "see for myself." I did, and I liked what I saw. The jeweler unwrapped the stone and told me that it was in the J-K color range. She incidentally took it out of a "Charles and Colvard" wrapping (envelope?). I thought that it looked very nice, however the moissanite at the site from which I purchased the stone claimed to have them in I-J color range, plus they had it at a much beter price. They also get their stones from Charles & Colvard. If you visit the web page (which I will provide at the bottom of this message) you can see it for yourself under the "info" tab. They do tell you exactly what they're selling. I spoke with the people there and they were very honest with me. I believe that they are a family owned business. They also sell cz which are really beautiful as well. That was the primary reason I dealt with them. I own several pieces of their gold jewelry and the pieces I own are exquisite, quite solid and heavy.

As a consumer of items we all receive pleasure in, I could only recommend that we become as eduated as possible. That is exactly why I visit and read this forum nearly every day. Whether we're purchasing a toaster or a house, we should be "wary" of frauds and cheats. Unforturnately, they are everywhere

Again, sorry if I offened anyone.

This is the site:
moissanitejewelry.com

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Speaking of toasters,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 02-08-02 , 11:10 AM

Black & Decker has recalled some 2-slice and 4-slice toasters that were sold in places like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Kohl's. Apparently they don't shut off when they are supposed to, and have been causing fires. Go to http://www.abc.com , click on the news, and there should be a link with the series numbers.

Old marsmannix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
marsmannix is on a distinguished road

So--is Moissanite the Sparkliest?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 02-08-02 , 11:20 AM

of all gemstones???
I like sparkle, and if Moissanite is the sparkliest of all, i may just save my dinaro for one just for the look.
What do you think?
mars mannix

marsmannix signature
"Having a Boo Radley moment, are we?"
Old ringbuff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Just Call Me Ring Boo!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 02-08-02 , 12:44 PM

and remember, he was innocent!

Old goldenswan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
goldenswan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 02-08-02 , 05:11 PM

Moissanite parkles like crazy . But I wouldn't wear it to a party . I would wear a high grade CZ instead . It's because most people can spot a moissanite for its yellowish tint and too much sparkling fires .

Old Polyhex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Polyhex is on a distinguished road

Not insulted!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 02-08-02 , 07:13 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry if anyone on this post took my post the wrong way, especially Polyhex. I never meant to imply that the motive for people on this forum being "anti-moissanite" is because they are selfish and mean-spirited.

Oh, gosh no! What I was trying to say was that you're right -- people do have very strong feelings about moissanite, and theorize why that may be so. My explanation seems reasonable to me, because I've seen different colors/clarities of moissanite. The jeweler whom I purchased moissanite from offered to sell me either the warm (I-J-K... no one can agree; looks like J to me) tint, or the greenish tint. He did not push either as better than the other, and they were the same price. However, when I looked at them, the green tints were HIDEOUS and very different from the warm tints. Whenever I see someone complain that moissanite is an ugly green, that's what I think of. I was not even remotely offended by your post: I thought you had a point!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Peter LaRouche by MDesigner
Up a Topic introduction posted in Greet New Members by BlueDiamond78
Older:
Down a Topic Need Help Deciding on this diamond by JimmyBond
Down a Topic Need Help Deciding on this diamond posted in DIAMONDS by JimmyBond