Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old doxie

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
doxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-04-02 , 06:27 PM

I would like to know whether it is recommended that wedding & engagement rings be soldered together even when they don't need to be in order to fit together properly. I have a plain 18K 2 mm wide gold band and a plainTiffany style 2 mm wide 18K solitaire and they do NOT need to be soldered together in order to hold them in position properly. What I want to know is -
1. Will soldering prevent wear and tear on the rings?
2. Will this provide a wider base and decrease spinning of the solitaire?
3. Will it be harder to clean in the crevice between the 2 rings?
4. If I change my mind later, will it be easy to split the rings up again without damaging them?

Thanks for your advice and comments.

The above "Ask Diamond Talk" post was filled out online at http://www.diamondring.com/forums/n...amondq uestion

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-04-02 , 07:22 PM

I can't answer your question definitively, but I think you should consider soldering to be a relatively permanent process.

If the rings don't have to be soldered together, I personally would not do so. There might be times (cooking, camping, traveling) where you want to leave your engagement ring at home but wear your gold wedding band.

Old photogold

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
photogold is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-04-02 , 07:26 PM

Here is one advantage of not soldering the rings together: You can wear the wedding band alone without the solitare.

You may want to do this if you have a job where you work with sharp metal objects, or if you go on a camping trip. If the rings are not soldered, then you have that option.

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-04-02 , 07:40 PM

Sorry, I can't definitively answer any of those. Personally, I'd never solder my rings. It's too great of a change to think of it as anything but damaging.

Plus, there are just so many times where I'd want to wear them separately: baking, cleaning, doing heavy lifting, traveling in an area I wouldn't feel safe flashing a diamond around, etc.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-04-02 , 07:52 PM

I had a college friend who soldered both her rings together. She wanted to do that because she was a med student, and had put her rings on, and take them off intermittently, depending on which class she was attending. She soldered her rings together because she was afraid of losing one of them.

Personally, I would not solder my rings together. I think the look is stronger if I have separate rings that fit together. Also, there are occasions when I want to wear my wedding band only.

Oh. I can't conclusively answer your questions either. I just wanted to give you the input I had on soldered rings.

[Edited by empresseva on 02-04-02 at 06:53 PM]

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old doxie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
doxie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-05-02 , 09:54 AM

I left out an important bit of information. This set is a 20th anniversary upgrade for me. I still have my old gold band which I can and will wear separately sometimes, so I would not need to keep the rings on the new set separate in order to have a plain wedding ring to wear. I was told at the local jewelers that they recommend soldering rings together whenever possible to decrease wear and tear, so that is really what my question is addressing.

Old JNL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
JNL is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-05-02 , 10:25 AM

I agree with the 4 above. But you did say that wearing them seperate was not a concern but you did mention wear/tear and cleaning the crevices a concern. I can tell you what I see from my observations about the cleaning part->Some of my mother's friends who had that done had a very hard time preventing the area where the two rings met-from appearing really dark and couldn't get it shiny again. Even after professional cleanings,

Old FireGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
FireGirl is on a distinguished road

a lone voice of dissent
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-05-02 , 10:34 AM

My mom soldered her rings together at around the 25-year mark, because the wedding band (which was only about 2mm to begin with) had gotten worn really badly. She also has a separate wedding band. I never noticed any awful-looking goo where the two rings were attached, so it might just be an individual soldering-job issue.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Appraiser reccomendation by wdolak
Up a Topic Appraiser reccomendation posted in IL by wdolak
Older:
Down a Topic Are there any small princess stones for sale out there by kimberly
Down a Topic Are there any small princess stones for sale out there posted in DIAMONDS by kimberly