Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old monkeypants

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
monkeypants is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-21-02 , 07:16 AM

What are the opinions on ways to prevent ring spin. I have wanted either a squared off shank, or a soft square shaped band like at http://www.jfadesigns.com
The adjustable ring shanks sould like a good idea, but I would feel better wearing a solid band. It seems like dirt, lotion, soap would get inside the adjustable part. Please let me know your experiences with any of these. I still think the square shaped band would be the best for me because I like rings with a bit of an unusual twist. Posted is an example of a squared off shank. The designer said that it adds a lot of weight to the ring and thus, would cost about $200 extra in platinum.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old lani

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
lani is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-21-02 , 11:11 AM

Hi there-
I am curious as to why you want to prevent ring spin. For aesthetics or practical reasons? Seems to me that the people who have the most problems with ringspin are the people with tall Tiffany settings and/or loosely fitting rings. (I hope I'm on track with what you mean by "ringspin"--the mount falling off to the side).

I have a ring with a square shank (not my wedding ring so I don't wear it everyday) and I personally find that it makes it a bit difficult to carry things like a 10 lb briefcase or a laundry basket. It pinches a little and though mine's not platinum, if I wore it a lot I think it would wear down rather quickly if I DID wear it every day.

I do think the engraved platinum you are considering is lovely. As I mentioned I think the height of the mount is a factor in ringspin. My 14k wedding ring is similar to the one in the picture (minus the square shank) and it fits rather snugly on my size 6 finger. I haven't had a problem with ringspin in the 5 years that I've worn it everyday. My filagree is open (hollow) so the mount is not incredibly heavy. I can't tell if the filagree aroun the mount in the picture is hollow or not. Maybe stick to a low profile design if you're concerned about ringspin?

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-21-02 , 02:57 PM

My 900 platinum e-ring is really heavy, and when my hands are cold the ring spins. I'm sorry I didn't think to get a euro back to it. The one pictured above is really boxy, but I've seen ones that have a much more graceful squared back. They do prevent the center stone from sliding to the side from what I've heard.

Loni...it really hurts my hand when my 1.52 carat radiant center stone winds up between my fingers when it spins, so it's not just for aesthetic purposes that you would want to prevent ring spin.

[Edited by diamondangel on 01-21-02 at 01:58 PM]

Old Kabuki

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Kabuki is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-21-02 , 02:59 PM

I agree with the previous poster. Rings spin because either they are too loose or they have a high profile or very large stone. I inherited a huge oval cabochon sapphire ring (11 carats) that used to spin. I had it made smaller and now it sits perfectly on my finger. I doubt your ring will be this big or bulky. Size the ring correctly and you will have no problems.

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Why I won't size the ring...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-21-02 , 04:09 PM

My fingers swell and contract so much that the ring fits perfectly when I wake up, a little tight when I'm hot, and when my hands get cold the ring is large enough to fall off. If I size it now, it's not going to fit on my hand come summertime. So the best thing to do is wait until I see how it fits in the warmest months, and if it's still a little big get it sized then. I don't want to risk losing my engagement ring, so I'm wearing a diamond band in front of it right now. THat also solves the problem of the thick shoulders hitting into my pinky's middle knuckle. It's less noticable that way.

Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
Adamas2 is on a distinguished road

Kabuki
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-21-02 , 08:07 PM

Rings don't have to be sized incorrectly to spin. In my case (as in the case of many other's) my knuckle is a size 3 & 3/4, and below my knuckle is a size 3. In order to get the ring to fit properly, you wouldn't be able to get it over the knuckle (regardless of how much soapy water, oil, etc.. you use). Not only is the spinning uncomfortable, but it's also unattractive when the diamond is sagging on your finger. The problem is compounded even more when you have a larger diamond, with a lot of weight on top. The solution for me was the Superfit adjustable shank. I love it & no one even notices it. Monkeypants, the hinge areas are very tight. I have never had a problem with lotion or dirt build-up. Here's a picture:

Old NewtEves

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
NewtEves is on a distinguished road

Adamas
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-21-02 , 08:35 PM

I have the same prob too.... How do I get my hands on one Superfit adjustable shank? Will it be suitable for a ring with different widths? My e-ring tapers a little like a ribbon towards the stone.

Old Kabuki

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Kabuki is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-21-02 , 09:35 PM

Adamas,

Looks like you found the solution to the problem. My knuckles are the same size as my finger, so I don't have the same problem. In fact, because my knuckles don't keep my rings on, I have to have my rings sized a little small, otherwise they fly off when I wash my hands.

Ain't DiamondTalk great? We learn about gemstones and human anatomy in one convenient place. Thanks for sharing!

Old Diamond_Dave

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Diamond_Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-21-02 , 09:57 PM

One of my fiance's favorite features of her engagement ring is that it doesn't spin. All of her other rings spin, but not her engagement ring because of it's shape.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-21-02 , 11:50 PM

My knuckle is bigger than my ring area, too. The area beneath my knuckle is size 5, and my knuckle is a size 6.

Fortunately, my wedding set is wide, and sits close to my knuckle, so I had the ring re-size to a 6, and it fits fine. I can take off the ring everyday to clean it without abrading my knuckle. When my wedding set was a size 5, I scraped my knuckle a lot when I took it off for cleaning.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
Adamas2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-22-02 , 08:42 AM

Newteves,
My ring tapers down from a fairly wide top, with baguettes mounted along the width of the ring, to a very narrow (see picture) bottom area. Adding the adjustable shank was not a problem on mine, so I can't imagine it would be for you. There were at least 2 or 3 jewelers in my area that could add the Superfit or Fingermate shanks to existing rings. I'm sure you can find one in your area... just call around. I think they run around $300, including labor cost.

Old kerda

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
kerda is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-22-02 , 10:39 AM

Sizing beads are a great way to prevent spin. They are 2 little "balls" of gold on the inside bottom of the shank. They do not take away from the comfort of the ring and almost any jeweler can add them in just a matter of minutes.

Old NewtEves

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
NewtEves is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-22-02 , 09:04 PM

10Q Adamas2...., for my e-ring, I just decided to follow the old fashion method of putting two balls of metal at the bottom of the ring. I know that this method is no longer in fashion, but hey!! it seems to work for my really old pearl ring!! Thanks kerda for reminding me that I could have done that!!

It is my Wedding band that I am concerned. I got this platinum band with 10 pcs of 0.3ct diamonds pocketed all over the ring. THAT I cannot put the balls in as it will cover the diamonds (not to mention I think make the lifetime free servicing null and void... must go and check with the store) and I do not think that I will be able to put the superfit shank on it as there are diamonds all over it... any ideas?

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 02-02-02 , 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NewtEves
I got this platinum band with 10 pcs of 0.3ct diamonds pocketed all over the ring. THAT I cannot put the balls in as it will cover the diamonds (not to mention I think make the lifetime free servicing null and void... must go and check with the store) and I do not think that I will be able to put the superfit shank on it as there are diamonds all over it... any ideas?

Sounds like an eternity type ring...with diamonds all the way around? Not only can you not put those little balls of gold on there, but you can't size the ring either. The best thing you could do would be to have the ring taken apart, another one made with the diamonds only 1/2 way or 2/3rds the way around, with a sizing strip in the back (plain metal that leaves an area for suzing up or down as necessary, although with that many diamonds it is not a good idea to really size it more than half a size in either direction...stones get loose easily when sizing). Otherwise you would have to have one made with the superfit type shank.

Old siloxane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
siloxane is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 02-02-02 , 11:39 PM

Is Diamond Dave's ring an example of a ring with a European Back? I was inquring about this back in another post. I like the subtlety of this ring's back and the no spin is a major plus. By far, my largest worry about getting an e-ring has been the spinning. Where can you get a ring like that? Thanks.

Old JDanforth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
JDanforth is on a distinguished road

Couldn't resist....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 02-03-02 , 05:51 AM

The spikes could be Plat if you want... stainless might hold up better.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic HELP Diamond Sparkle question by mcmugle715
Up a Topic HELP Diamond Sparkle question posted in DIAMONDS by mcmugle715
Older:
Down a Topic Best Place still a newbie by siloxane
Down a Topic Best Place still a newbie posted in DIAMONDS by siloxane