Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Aseel

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Aseel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-07-02 , 02:09 PM

dependant on what size diamonds are being worn in your social circle??? I have heard that many times, a diamond is purchased based on what size diamonds your friends and/or relatives have.

I'm just curious.

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-07-02 , 02:29 PM

i think this may be true. but for me it was more like what we can afford... i've seen .5-2+ carat rings around me. but mostly around 1-1.5ct.

sopapia signature
Sopapia
Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-07-02 , 02:29 PM

but that's my guess... i don't ask unless it's someone i know really well.

sopapia signature
Sopapia
Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
dazzled is on a distinguished road

Of Course!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-07-02 , 02:32 PM

Your social/familial environment forms much of our taste and expectations.

When I was engaged 21 years ago, I thought a 1/2 carat solitaire was the cat's meow! Most of my friend's fiances had gone out and spent $800-1200, and that was a lotta potatoes in them days!

Today I reside in Fairfield County Connecticut, and it seems many of my friends here and now (are also 21 years older!) are sporting 1 carat minimum, with 2 carats common and even some 3's. This is indicative of our age, budgets and many years of hard work to earn the potatoes!

dazzled signature
Astrologer, rock-hound, estate jewelry, connoisseur of beauty
Old CherylP

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
CherylP is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-07-02 , 02:44 PM

I have a 1.15 -- which just seemed to sound about right for me (I'm 5'9" tall) -- and also is something I wanted because my first stone (from a first marriage) was .33 and, I must admit, a bit of a disappointment for me. Where my ex came from, smaller was pretty much the standard, it seemed, and my diamond was larger than his mother's, to give you an idea. WHen I got engaged again, I was living in NYC, so 1.15 didn't seem like expecting too much.

However, where I now live, it seems everyone's diamond is WAY bigger than my present one of 1.15 -- like 2 carats minimum, and some well above that. Even my diamond studs -- 2.01 between the two of them -- are hardly unusual around here, and many people wear much bigger.

However, at this stage of my life -- when I could upgrade should I want to -- it seems less important than when I was first (and second!) engaged. But, yes, I can see how what those around you are wearing might well determine what one desires.

Old Catwoman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Catwoman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-07-02 , 02:46 PM

I can say that we (more me) absolutely bought based on what my friends have. My best friends have 1 cts. I like the way the 1 ct looks on my finger but would have been fine with a 3/4 or so. Even thought my quality (VS1 SuperbCert) is 3 times better than theirs, I didn't want to be left out of the size thing. The quality is my own issue. My future fiance's mother has a HUGE stone. I'm sure the first question people ask about the ring is "what size?" It's unfortunate that there is so much pressure in American society to conform. We paid the price by several thousands. I do love my ring, but I honestly don't think we would have made the same purchase if none of my friends were married.

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
Suching is on a distinguished road

It's funny how priorities change in life
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-07-02 , 03:08 PM

I used to love this topic, and could go on and on about the diamond sizes of the people around me (about .75-1.5 ct here ins Orange county, California). Now that I'm expecting our first baby, all I see are cute babies and what they are wearing! I NEVER look at diamonds anymore.

I think when I get older, and the kids' college tuitions are taken care of, my "diamond fetish" might come back. Right now I'm very content with my 1.25 ct.

Old Fliz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Fliz is on a distinguished road

Size Issue
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-07-02 , 03:27 PM

I do think that size expectations are gauged by friends and peers. But, for myself, I agree with you Suching. I'm not pregnant, I'm not even married yet. My fiance and I are just starting to put together a life for ourselves. I'm in school again, this time paying my own way. He and I live in the richest county in Michigan, second richest in the country (so I've heard). I would say, during an average walk through downtown Birmingham, you'd see from 1.00 to 3.00, I'm guessing. I have a .59 Superbcert. The size thing doesn't really concern me anymore. It helps that I have really small fingers. I'm at a place in life, now, where I feel that a larger diamond will come once I "earn" it by having a healthy marriage and raising good kids. Right now we have other financial obligations to worry about.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 94
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-07-02 , 04:00 PM

I think that depends on the individual. In many cases, I think people will get diamonds comparable to those in their social circles- to keep up with the Joneses.

I have a couple of friends who have relatively smaller diamonds, and want to upgrade to well over one carat. For fun, I let them try on my ring to see if they like the look of one carat on them, and they all prefer to get a stone much bigger than mine. Their present stones are about half carat each.

Personally, I am satisfied with my one carat ring. It's a good size for me, and from a good designer.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thanks for all the
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-07-02 , 05:28 PM

responses. I guess it is true. This is going to sound kinda funny, but I have a .60 carat marquise cut diamond that is very gorgeous. I get a lot of compliments on it from people. A lot of them think my diamond is BIG!! I guess because of diamond talk, I figure 60 points is just average. I wouldn't consider it a big stone, but I wouldn't consider it small either. However, it is much bigger than all of my married and engaged relatives. My grandmother told me someone is going to cut my finger off one day. (he he he).

I guess it just depends on what you are accustomed to seeing around you. I guess people think my diamond is big compared to the ones they are wearing. I have two engaged cousins who both have marquise cut diamonds. My diamond does look huge next to theirs (he he he). But it would look TINY next to 2 carats. (smile).

[Edited by aseel on 01-07-02 at 04:29 PM]

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-07-02 , 05:38 PM

For the longest time I was OBSESSED with getting a bigger diamond. My current engagement ring has a 0.38ct round surrounded by 0.6ct in round channel set side stones. The center stone is my husband's great grandfather's, and it was bought in France somewhere around 1915. We were both still students (he in law school, I just going back to pharmacy school for my second bachelor's) when we got engaged, so he didn't have much $ at all. We obviously got (or used in our case!) what we could afford, as all my friends have at least 1ct. I hate to say it but I used to be really self-conscious about having the smallest ring out of my friends. We kept going back and forth about upgrading the stone vs getting a new setting and have the current diamond reset. We are still going to get a bigger stone, but now we are looking for houses, so the new diamond will be put on the back burner for a bit. If you were to ask me about it a few months ago, I would have been really disappointed, but I realize that I am just so happy to have the relationship with my husband that I have, that the whole ring issue seems so shallow and secondary to what's really important.

Sorry to be mushy. I guess the short answer is, if I were to chose, we would have gotten something closer to 1ct, but not necessarily because that's what all my friends have. I have tried on my friend's 1.5ct and it just seems too big for me. Lucky for my husband.

Oh -- and my ring is smaller than my mom's (1/2ct marquise), my grandmother's (1/2ct round) my mother in law's (1.5ct round), my sister in law's (0.75ct round), and my cousin's (1ct princess)!

[Edited by T-Rex on 01-07-02 at 04:40 PM]

Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

T-Rex, you are soooo funny!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-07-02 , 06:03 PM

I'm glad you are focusing on the house instead of the diamond. Anyway, it sounds like your diamond has a lot of sentimental value. To me, that's worth more than a new diamond (that's just me). I think I remember you talking about changing your stone back during the summer months. I guess time changes thing, ha??

So, your mother has a marquise cut diamond, ha? She's got good taste!!!! (smile).

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old Britgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Britgirl is on a distinguished road

Is size that important?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-07-02 , 06:04 PM

Why is everyone obsessed with size? Surely it is the reason an e ring is given and the person it is given by that is important. I think that if a ring is too big people will think that it is not real. I can think of alot more things to spend several thousand pounds/dollars on other than a bigger diamond. Buying just to keep up with social circle is a crazy idea. I was recently had bought for me a very nice .47 carat marquise cut. I could of had a bigger one, 0.77 carat if I had wanted, but liked the smaller one and didn't see the point of spending the extra money. It is what I and my partner think of the ring that is important not everyone else. Most people don't even wear their e rings much after marriage either. I would rather have two or three extra pieces of jewellery than a great big rock. Perhaps I am lucky that hugh diamonds are not that common over here!

Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Oh I forgot, T-Rex, what kinda
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 01-07-02 , 06:05 PM

band does your mother wear with her marquise diamond?? I currently put my engagement ring inside of a ring guard surrounded by 4 diamonds. The ring guard use to have sapphires, but I changed them into diamonds.

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
erin is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-07-02 , 06:10 PM

I had a smaller diamond that I liked, but I LOVE my 1 carat. It definitely is bigger than I really need since I'm small with small hands, but I get a kick out of having it every single time that I look at it. (Which is often!)
The size of my diamond has always been based upon what we can afford. If someday we have extra $$ lying around that doesn't have a better use, I'll probably upgrade again. I really like diamonds!

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
Suching is on a distinguished road

I'm probably contradicting myself....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-07-02 , 06:11 PM

I have to admit I still glance at the fingers of "SOME" women, but only those that are carrying cute babies! I want o know whether they are still wearing their diamond engagement rings. I noticed that most new mommies just wear their plain wedding bands.

On a side note: my friends all have engagement rings around one carat (we're in our mid-late twenties) and my mom's friends tend to have larger 1.5-3.0 carats because of their age, financial means etc. (most of these are and are not original engagement rings)

Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Britgirl, where is "Over Here?"
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-07-02 , 06:16 PM

Where are you from? You are right about the size issue. However, it is a personal choice, not necessarily to keep up with the Joneses. Some people have large hands and fingers that would require larger stones, and some people have small hands and fingers that would require smaller stones. Your .47 carat diamond may look satisfying on your finger, but might get lost on a woman that wears a size 8 ring. So again, it just depends!!

I use to be hung up on carat weight until I did research on diamonds. I realize that quality is much more important. Don't get me wrong though, I did and do not prefer small diamonds for myself!!!! My diamond is perfect for me, but may be too small for a person who has larger hand and requires more. My finger size is a 5 1/2. My fiance' knew I did not want a small diamond, so he chose the largest diamond with the highest quality that he could afford. It didn't have to be 1 carat or 2 carats. It just had to be eye catching (he he). Beautiful, that is. That is what I got.

Again, I don't think anyone is really hung-up on the size thing here at diamond talk. I think it is all a matter of what looks good on ones finger, and if 1.5 or even 3 carats does it for you, than so be it. (smile).

[Edited by aseel on 01-07-02 at 05:20 PM]

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old Britgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

over here is the little UK!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 01-07-02 , 06:27 PM

I agree that it depends on the size of your fingers. I only have small hands and my e ring is a UK size h1/2. I don't know what that is in US size but it is pretty small. Most people I know can't get my ring on their little finger. My fiance is Scottish so maybe he picked me for my small hands!!!!!!!! Its all personal choice at the end of the day. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing.
I forgot to say that I picked my ring over some larger stones due to its better quality. I would rather have a smaller well cut better quality diamond that a badly cut poorer quality larger one.

[Edited by britgirl on 01-07-02 at 05:37 PM]

Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Britgirl, that is exactly what my
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 01-07-02 , 06:40 PM

fiance' did. He told me that he could have gotten me a 1 carat princess cut diamond, but the marquise cut was of better quality and actually looked bigger to him. I think he did an excellent job (since I wasn't with him). I had no idea he was going to propose to me on my birthday. It was a shocker!! However, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised!!!

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Aseel-
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 01-07-02 , 06:46 PM

On your stone looking bigger than it is. My .44 carat Emerald cut is set in a thin band with two small tapered baguettes. But it looks to me and everyone else like it is much larger - bigger than a half-carat. Maybe even closer to three-quarters.

Social circle. Like I said before, since I'm not even out of college yet, the vast majority of my friends have small round engagement diamonds weighing .25 to .50 carats. Since I am the ONLY one with an emerald cut, and one of only a handful that doesn't have a round (there are a couple of pear and marquise) it is hard to compare my ring to anyone else's.

It might not be huge, but it is the most delightfully unusual of anyone's I know!

As for older people - well, my family has smaller stones. My mother has a quarter carat round with small rounds swirled around it. My grandmother's engagement ring is smaller than mine. And many of my relatives wear wedding bands with no engagement ring.

So, yeah, we stuck with what was about standard for our family and friends in terms of size. Now in terms of shape, style, color, quality - we were way out there. Most of my family and friends opted for white gold or platinum, and we went with yellow gold. Nearly all have round diamonds. 90% of them bought the ring from Zales and can't even tell you what a certificate even is.

We also spent about what they did - BUT I think my diamond is bigger and better quality for the money since we purchased online.

All things considered, it is the sentiment which flows behind these things. One older woman I met several weeks ago was wearing a very nice parka and several pieces of expensive jewelry. When I glanced at her wedding ring, I was surprised to see that the set included a very tiny (.15 to .20 is my guess) but sparkly solitaire and a plain gold band. I imagine that if she wanted to upgrade she would have had no problems doing so. But I bet her husband picked it out for her 25 years ago and she loved it so much she'll wear it till she dies.

Anyway, who cares what your friends think?

Old Britgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Marquise is a good choice
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 01-07-02 , 06:50 PM

I love my marquise cut diamond. It was my first choice of shape, with princess cut coming second, although that would have had to have bee set at an angle. I think my 0.47 carat looks alot bigger than it is and certainly bigger than a similar weight round brilliant or princess cut. It makes me feel good when people look at it and go wow thats gorgeous.BTW US size of my ring is 5
Aseel, I am so glad you are really happy with your ring. Bet that was the best birthday pressie you have ever had!

Emnightingale, I love your ring as it is unusual. I think it nice to be different. That was one of the reasons I didn't want a round stone.

As for parents etc, most older people I know including parents seem to have had two or three stone twist rings rather than solitaires.

[Edited by britgirl on 01-07-02 at 05:55 PM]

Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Emnightengale, excuse me for
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 01-07-02 , 06:53 PM

sounding stupid, but what is a "Parka?"

By the way, your ring sounds GORGEOUS!!!! It probably looks big because of the oblong shape. That's the same response I get from my marquise diamond. I've even compared my diamond to some 1 carat solitaire rounds, and it looks like it's the same size, just shaped different!

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old Aseel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Britgirl, YEP!! Best one YET!!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 01-07-02 , 06:54 PM

he he he!!!!

And I love the marquise cut also. It is very elegant!!!!

[Edited by aseel on 01-07-02 at 05:56 PM]

Aseel signature
luvadiamond
Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-07-02 , 08:59 PM

I've always wanted a huge ring, even when I was little. I get it from my grandma...She has huge, exquisite jewelry that I fell in love with at a very early age. It's always been a thing with me to have a large stone. It's definitely not about keeping up with anyone, because I don't even know anyone my age that is engaged with anything over .25. But if I did know people who were engaged, I'm sure I would want to keep up size wise. =o)
Jess

Old ezv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ezv is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-07-02 , 10:00 PM

A parka's a big, thick jacket... of the sort one would wear to go skiing.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Louisa by Kews
Up a Topic Louisa posted in DIAMONDS by Kews
Older:
Down a Topic Repairs by Sik06
Down a Topic Repairs posted in DIAMONDS by Sik06