Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Primus

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-13-99 , 05:24 PM

A jeweler I just spoke to says that an ideal cut diamond has a depth of 56.5% and table of 58-61%. However, everything I've seen on the web says depth should be 59-63% and table 53-57%. Is this jeweler wrong?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old JamesAllen

My Profile
View profile photo
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:
Visit my blog :

My Karma
Power: 91
JamesAllen is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4254, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-13-99 , 05:37 PM

Primus -

I hope that a really experienced jeweler chimes in on this, but here's what I know. Most of what you see on the web is based on research done by a guy named Tolkowsky about 50 years ago. He came up with the proportions (53-57% table, etc.) that are quoted most often as the ideal range for a diamonds proportions.

One thing to remember though, is that being a few degrees off in one direction or the other isn't going to make that big of a difference. I've heard some jewelers say that 60/60 is the best cut. I know another guy who loves spready stones (diamonds with a larger table percentage and diameter than the ideal standards) because they look bigger than they really are. Over in Europe (or so I've heard), they call are ideal cuts "old fashioned" and also like a spreadier stone. At the end of the day it really comes down to one question: Do you like the diamond he's showing you. If you do and the price is right, buy it!

If any jewelers out there read this, don't blast me for saying that being off a few degrees doesn't make a difference. When you get to that level, attributes like color, carat weight, clarity, cost, etc. should be weighed more heavily than staying in some arguable "ideal range".

Once again, just my opinion.

Jim Schultz
YoungPapa@netscape.net

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Possible cost of a D color diamond ring by sam
Up a Topic Possible cost of a D color diamond ring posted in DIAMONDS by sam
Older:
Down a Topic Princess cuts HELP by Church
Down a Topic Jewelry Fraud posted in JEWELRY by Sol