Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Muscus

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Muscus is on a distinguished road

Confused about mounts
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-18-11 , 01:16 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been reading these forums for awhile and have gotten quite a bit of good info on diamonds and how to pick and choose. My question now is after you pick a good diamond, what do you do with it? Where do you get the mount from? Do you walk into a jewlery store with the diamond and ask them for a mount? I've been looking at some of the more 'brand' name mounts from tiffany and tacori and would love one from them, but do they even sell their mounts individually or would I have to get a replica?
If I do have to get a replica, anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks in advance!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 261
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2028, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Confused about mounts
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-18-11 , 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscus
Hey everyone,

I've been reading these forums for awhile and have gotten quite a bit of good info on diamonds and how to pick and choose. My question now is after you pick a good diamond, what do you do with it? Where do you get the mount from? Do you walk into a jewlery store with the diamond and ask them for a mount? I've been looking at some of the more 'brand' name mounts from tiffany and tacori and would love one from them, but do they even sell their mounts individually or would I have to get a replica?
If I do have to get a replica, anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks in advance!

Mountings for gems come in two different forms as follows:

1. Custom in which a bench jeweler makes a mounting to suit all of your requirements. This can be anything because it is made from scratch either using hand techniques such as fabrication from bars, plates and wires or hand carved wax and casting. You can also get a ring made that is cast from a CAD model. This allows you to see what you'll get before you plunk down all your money on it, (though you will still need to pay a moderate cost for a design fee at most places). Custom gives you exactly what you want and it costs the most. I've attached a rendering of a recent piece that I've been working on which will hold a Chrome tourmaline, but could use whatever stone a client supplies.

2. You can walk into a jewelry store and ask them for a mounting. They will then show you a set of catalogs and let you go through them looking for an acceptable setting. This works well and is lower in cost than custom, but you want to make sure to pick a quality setting so make sure to ask the bench jeweler or a well trained sales person their opinion of the setting you like. If you want to look through some catalogs yourself, send me an e-mail or PM and I'll send you a list of online catalogs to look at.

I hope that helps, yell if you have any questions.

Michael_E signature
Attached Images
LTW1.jpg LF1.jpg

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 70
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=774, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-18-11 , 12:11 PM

You can go into a jewelry store and ask to purchase just a mounting. Most will accommodate you. Just bring the diamond and report information so the jeweler can measure the diamond to fit the mounting you like. We sell Tacori and can easily set your diamond in one of the Tacori mountings. Have you found a particular Tacori setting you like?

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Old herrysmart

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Bracelet

My Karma
herrysmart is on a distinguished road

thats amazing
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-29-11 , 08:22 AM

thats really really amazing i never saw such a beautiful rings!! perfect!

Old PrimeStyleCom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
PrimeStyleCom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-07-12 , 06:17 PM

Mountings can be purchased separately, they are called semi- mounts. Any jewelry store can supply you with a semi mount, or you can shop for one online.

Old FrancisQuail

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Antique Turquoise Blue 3.2

My Karma
FrancisQuail is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Chrome Tourmaline Rings!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-11-12 , 08:41 PM

I want one to match my necklace....how much are you asking?
I'll let my "One an Only" what I want for Valentines Day...

Read Messages in: Jewelry Design All forums
Newer:
This is the first topic
Up a Topic best place to sell your ring in vancouver area posted in Canada by icallyou604
Older:
Down a Topic How do I decide if diamond is the right size by isukenik
Down a Topic Please help me identify posted in Appraisal & Insurance by arush5268d