Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old davt25

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
davt25 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-26-01 , 07:58 PM

i recently bought a diamond (7/8 c. round) for $2,000. after purchasing it i realised that it has an imperfection in the center, like a cloud, maybe a air pocket of some kind. i know now that i should have been told of this before buying it, and i wonder if its value is woth what i paid, if can return it(no exchange policy), is this common etc, etc..?
thanks for any input--
Shape: Round
Carat: 7/8

The above "Ask Diamond Talk" post was filled out online at http://www.diamondring.com/forums/n...amondq uestion

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-26-01 , 08:28 PM

A lot of the people who post on this board have little sympathy for people who don't research their diamonds before they buy, as I found out.

Jewelers generally don't have to tell you much about the diamond you're purchasing, so even if it's not worth what you paid you might not be able to return it. Unless the diamond was misrepresented, that is.

If the imperfection really bothers you, I'd say take the diamond back. Tell them you won't be happy with this particular stone and you'd like to look at something else, since you're going to have it a long time. Or check out some of the online jewelers. We just purchased from http://www.mondera.com and were very happy. There are several reputable dealers who post here and could probably give you an even better deal! In addition, a lot of them have diamond tutorials that can teach you about the different diamond qualities (cut, clarity, color, flouresence, depth, girdle, etc...)

If the inclusion is an air pocket and not a cloud, it could really affect the sturdiness of your diamond. If that's the case, you could always insure the diamond for what you paid and have it resized. Maybe it'll break and you can get your money back.

Old davt25

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
davt25 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-26-01 , 08:54 PM

thanks, i'll do that--

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-27-01 , 01:37 AM

You know, it's funny. I always thought I wanted a flawless (at least to the naked eye) diamond, but my old wedding solitaire is an I1, and /because/ of the inclusions, it sparkles like crazy in the sunlight. I'm not sure I'd get the same effect with a perfect stone.

Old goldenswan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
goldenswan is on a distinguished road

dark spot in the diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-27-01 , 06:39 PM

Here is my story :

A couple years ago, I was in the mood for buying jewelry. I stopped by an Jeweler who carried moissanites because I heard their advertisement on the radio .

I bought a big moissanite ring, but then returned it right away because I saw it was greenish in the day light (which I didn't see this green tint under the lighting of the jeweler) . Then I bought a 1 ct. diamond from that same jeweler at an incredible low price . I was told it's an H color . The jeweler told me nothing about the clarity , she just told me that she selling the ring for someone who was in need of money . The ring sparkled and was a real diamond so I bought it .

I was inexperient with diamond at the time . I wear it for a while & noticed a slight dark spot at corner (I didn't clean the diamond). I bought a magnifier and dark spot become visible under the magnifier .

Then I cleaned the diamond, the sparkling makes the spot invisible again .

Anyway, I put the diamond away in the draw & stopped wearing it because I can't help myself with the thought that if I don't keeping cleaning the diamond every day, I will see the dark spot .

Maybe I just save it for my children later .

Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

dark spots...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-27-01 , 07:20 PM

I've got a dark spot in my promise ring.. It bothers me a bit, but I would never dream of not wearing it! It would really hurt my boyfriend's feelings if I didn't wear it. It cost him a lot of money and it is pretty otherwise, so I'll wear it happily until I *finaly* get my engagement ring!! =o)
Jess

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Question from a newbie by chriskl88
Up a Topic Question from a newbie posted in DIAMONDS by chriskl88
Older:
Down a Topic Worth recutting by gregsnow
Down a Topic Mallette String Quartet posted in Music, Photography & Video by bmallette