Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Frustrated24

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Frustrated24 is on a distinguished road

Im so sad about my ring and wonder if we were cheated.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-29-11 , 11:46 AM

Im 24, married 1 1/2...I love love love my rings. They are BEAUTIFUL! But I am having a problem w/ my them, they are white gold, and keep turning gold. Even the prongs that are holding my diamond are turning.

I went back to the Jeweler and explained the problem. All they say is that they will rhodium plate it again for me.

I just feel that if I had've known that my ring was going to turn gold every other month, then I would've paid the money for a platinum ring. I am in the medical field which means I wash my hands a LOT...I wish they would've told me about this before. Because I have to pay $60 to get both my rings rhodium plated. IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

I almost want to sell my ring and buy a platinum one. I know women have connection to their rings, but this just makes me so mad...we are going to end up spending more money in the long run, getting this ring rhodium plated then if we just would've bought a platinum ring.

Suggestions...ideas....an ything to make me feel better??

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old LeatherandLace

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LeatherandLace is on a distinguished road

Re: Im so sad about my ring and wonder if we were cheated.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-08-11 , 01:49 AM

That's what happens to white gold. How quickly they turn depends on individual body chemistry, the lotions and soaps you use, etc. It's not a defect. I have a white gold wedding band and engagement ring and have to have them dipped every so often too. You should have educated yourself before you bought them.

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 362
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=270, In=0

Could be the mix of gold
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-10-11 , 08:47 PM

I have wondered if this is more prevelant in jewelers who buy gold( old jewelry) melt it down and recycle it or those that buy "recycled" gold.It seems to me plausible tha the "mix" could be off slightly.
I too have has similiar issues with ring I bought almost 2 years ago.I must have had it re-rhodium plated 6 times!!
Yet I have other white gold rings that I have worn for years without ever needing it.
Maybe somone else will comment in the industry.seems like newer gold is having this issue.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old PrimeStyleCom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
PrimeStyleCom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-30-12 , 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated24
Im 24, married 1 1/2...I love love love my rings. They are BEAUTIFUL! But I am having a problem w/ my them, they are white gold, and keep turning gold. Even the prongs that are holding my diamond are turning.

I went back to the Jeweler and explained the problem. All they say is that they will rhodium plate it again for me.

I just feel that if I had've known that my ring was going to turn gold every other month, then I would've paid the money for a platinum ring. I am in the medical field which means I wash my hands a LOT...I wish they would've told me about this before. Because I have to pay $60 to get both my rings rhodium plated. IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

I almost want to sell my ring and buy a platinum one. I know women have connection to their rings, but this just makes me so mad...we are going to end up spending more money in the long run, getting this ring rhodium plated then if we just would've bought a platinum ring.

Suggestions...ideas....an ything to make me feel better??

Unfortunately, this is a characteristic of white gold. If you have had this problem with your rings more than twice already, you may consider getting your rings recasted in platinum (removing the stones and resetting them). This would save you time, money and frustration in the long run. Although platinum is more expensive, it doesn't have the issues that white gold has. It is worth it in the long run.

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-22-13 , 05:32 PM

I would trade it for a platinum, its very frustrating to keep getting it plated.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Please HELP me find this by LilLinz114
Up a Topic 16 Ct of VVS Rubelite Tourmaline Oval Cut posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by devo800
Older:
Down a Topic Should I buy my girlfriend a ring by maddogg21
Down a Topic Not sure if forum is dead need help choosing posted in DIAMONDS by unstbl