Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Colombian emerald grid
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-17-11 , 01:22 PM

Here you can see eight uncut untreated Colombian emeralds.
I'm hoping to finalize negotiations with Michael of GemShoppe to cut and set these "Mint Green" stones into some beautiful jewelry.

Attached Images
EMR1.jpg

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 363
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=275, In=0

Range of emerald colors
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-20-11 , 06:42 AM

I have seen emeralds from washing out too light to know they are emeralds to too dark to tell if they are opaque.Seems teh spectrum continues to grow. What is the attraction to "mint green" emeralds?
Most consumers are looking for a grassy green emerald as far as color goes .
I have never seem 'mint"grass.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Mint is a plant: spearmint, peppermint
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-20-11 , 10:30 AM

Grass is also a plant, some grasses are light green, others are darker green.
"grass-green" or "mint-green" are beautiful natural colors.
"washed-out" or "opaque" are terms that do not apply in reference to the 8 emeralds I posted.
Maybe you could suggest a better term to describe their color?

Last edited by Portal2012 : 01-20-11 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Correction
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2550, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Range of emerald colors
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-20-11 , 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven
I have seen emeralds from washing out too light to know they are emeralds to too dark to tell if they are opaque.Seems teh spectrum continues to grow. What is the attraction to "mint green" emeralds?
Most consumers are looking for a grassy green emerald as far as color goes .
I have never seem 'mint"grass.

"Emerald" is any beryl which is green and colored with vanadium or chrome and the range of colors has always been fairly wide, just as it is in other beryls, such as aquamarine and morganite.

The attraction with these emeralds is that they are fairly clean, about as color saturated as the most saturate aquamarine and have a cost which is comparable to medium quality aquamarine. If most people prefer their emeralds to be deeper in color, that's great, but they're going to need to bring a BIG wallet to get their hands on them, particularly if they are clean and modestly treated. The object with these is to provide emeralds which are very attractive and more moderate in cost.

"Mint" and "grass" are two descriptive terms which could both describe the color of this emerald by themselves. The names don't belong together since I haven't seen "mint grass" either. I'd take a picture of the mint's growing in my yard but they're frozen and brown right now, so probably not a good analogy. Wait till spring, (that's it, "spring green"...doesn't mean anything, but sounds good!). I'll cut some of these gems as soon as they show up and put them next to different green things and see which comes the closest. Your suggestions are definitely welcome Maven!

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Saudia Arabian Diamonds by Kimber
Up a Topic vacation jewelry posted in Chit Chat by tibetanempress
Older:
Down a Topic Skyjems by katkat
Down a Topic Las Vegas Jewelry Show posted in JEWELRY by widget