Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Unheated aquamarine
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-27-10 , 09:41 PM

Hello all, I haven't posted since a family member went shopping for a diamond engagement ring in early 2009. He finally decided on a D IF .73 ideal cut round from BN, and got married in October 2009.

Now another family member has her heart set on an aquamarine ring. I volunteered to purchase the stone for her, and have it set in 18kt gold at my emerald workshop in Colombia.

I did an internet search yesterday, but haven't found what I'm looking for:

Unheated "Santa Maria" or equivalant round cut, between 1 and 2 carats, with excellent color and cut.

Do any of you have a stone like this? Or any advice on aquamarine buying?

I am in Texas now and very much want to pull the trigger on this stone before heading back to the land of emeralds in January.

Muchas gracias!!

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2550, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Unheated aquamarine
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-28-10 , 12:12 AM

Portal,
There are a couple of rough suppliers which have stones that are deeply enough colored to fall into the "Santa Maria" color category. The downside is that the stones would probably run around $500 once cut. Deeply colored aqua is very hard to find right now and it always has been a little spendy. Let me know what you're thinking about needing as far as dimensional size and cost and I can look around.

Michael_E signature
Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice

Unheated aquamarine
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-28-10 , 04:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Michael. I realize that you are an expert, and I trust your judgment on aquamarine. Do you think it would be possible to source and cut a 1.25-1.50 ct unheated round aquamarine for something like 300 dollars? Other cuts might also be acceptable. Perhaps you could locate a suitable piece of rough and divide it between us.

Last edited by Portal2012 : 11-28-10 at 04:21 PM. Reason: addtiton
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2550, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-28-10 , 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portal2012
Thanks for the quick reply, Michael. I realize that you are an expert, and I trust your judgment on aquamarine. Do you think it would be possible to source and cut a 1.25-1.50 ct unheated round aquamarine for something like 300 dollars? Other cuts might also be acceptable. Perhaps you could locate a suitable piece of rough and divide it between us.

That would probably be possible. Something like this require about a 4.5 to 5 carat piece of rough and it needs to be well shaped. The deeper the color the more expensive the rough and it's always a bit of a guess as to whether the rough that one orders actually ends up as dark as is needed. Send me an E-mail and we can discuss this further Portal.

Michael_E signature
Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-29-10 , 08:15 AM

Hello all, I cannot offer anything for sale but here are some pictures of santa Maria Aquamarine in it's prime. They are from the personal collection and I guess you can see where the name came from by looking at them .....Santa Maria!!!! No actually I think it is the name of the area they are from. Ha. Ha. Ha. Good luck.

Attached Images
AQU22-001.jpg AQU25-001.jpg

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-30-10 , 08:48 AM

Michael_E and I have been discussing this by email. I hope to post a photo of the ring when it comes into existence. Thank you, DiamondRing people!

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=251, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-01-10 , 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portal2012
Michael_E and I have been discussing this by email. I hope to post a photo of the ring when it comes into existence. Thank you, DiamondRing people!

Goody! Eye Candy!!

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-01-10 , 04:29 PM

Thankyou I just wanted to add interst as the topic of this forum looks very enticing but should be titled "I would like to buy an Aqua". It got my interest because it looked like an interesting forum on Santa Maria Aquamarine anyhow I can at least have some fun and add interest for all who may stumble upon it.

Old BeadMe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-09-10 , 08:52 AM

Hello Portal!

When it comes to craftsmanship and gemstones, Michael_E
is the word.
We look forward to see that intriguing unheated aquamarine.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Desert Diamonds by Itbit
Up a Topic Decadent Diamonds posted in Greet New Members by DecadentDiamond
Older:
Down a Topic survey on gemstone treatments by EdwardBristol
Down a Topic Seeking freelance wax model maker sculptor posted in Job Opportunities by ChicagoJewelry