Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
rlmkelley is on a distinguished road

HELP!!! Resized & Switched?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-13-10 , 09:37 PM

For our wedding in 1992 my husband gave me his grandmothers wedding ring. In 2000 I had the setting changed and the diamond appraised.
The diamond was described as one 4.94-5.00x3.11 mm transitional cut diamond which weighed 0.5 carats. It has a clarity rating of VS1, K color and good (Class 3A US Domestic Average Cut) proportions as follows: 63% total depth, 62% table, thin to medium girdle.

I don't understand everything above. I remember discussing the diamond with the jeweler, he said it was a miner's cut (instead of a point, the bottom was flat so when you look at the top of it it looks like there is a hole in the diamond). There was one hardly visible inclusion, and the clarity /color was excellent. I have been in possession of the ring since that appraisal.

I took my rings in to a jeweler who often cleans them while I wait at the store. I had both of my rings resized due to weight loss. I picked them up today, and they seemed very sparkly in the dark store. When I showed my husband, we agreed that the center diamond did not look the same. It was more yellow in color. We looked thru a magnifying glass and saw that the bottom came to a point and could not see a 'hole' when we looked at it from the top. Also, there appeared to be scratches or smudges on the diamond. Even looking at the diamond from the side, it seems that the cut is different.

Question: do they put a protective coating or anything on the diamond when they resize the ring? (I suspect they don't, I'm really worried that the diamond has been switched.) There are six 2.2mm round brilliant cut diamonds in the setting and the color of the center diamond does not match them, it is very yellow compared to them.

If I find that the diamond has been switched what should I do????

I know another jeweler thru my son's scouting group. His store was closed today. I was going to ask him to look at the diamond and then look at the appraisal and see if he could tell whether the diamond was the same.

PLEASE HELP/ADVISE!!! THANKS!!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 460
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=122, In=1

Re: HELP!!! Resized & Switched?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-13-10 , 11:24 PM

Hi, I'm not an expert. A K color diamond will look yellow. Is your setting white gold-if so it may have been replated after it was resized and the yellow in the diamond will be more obvious.
I don't know if your diamond was removed for the sizing process but sometimes they are to protect them. Perhaps when it was remounted it is in a different position in the head/prongs so your view will now see different things. Even looking into the top of the stone will look different.
If the diamond had a grading report when you bought it-the stone was plotted and a jeweler can use it verify if its the same diamond.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Last edited by irish : 09-13-10 at 11:26 PM.
Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

It was switched!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-14-10 , 02:29 PM

Took the appraisal for my diamond in. The diamond now in my ring is color M, has a thick girdle, is not a miners cut, and the prongs don't even fit it!!!

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 71
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=776, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-14-10 , 03:00 PM

You need to go back to the jeweler asap. The longer you wait the more they may say it wasn't them and who knows where you took it to after them, etc. For future reference, if you take you ring somewhere to be worked on the jeweler should take your diamond in and identify it with you there. You can verify your diamond before you leave it there and when you pick it up you should do the same process. It is easy to forget to do that when you pick it up because you are excited to get it back. It definitely sounds like it was switched somewhere along the line, but if the last jeweler did not identify it with you when you dropped it off who knows if it wasn't switched previously. Good luck.

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Last edited by Brit : 09-14-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Aaarrggg
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-17-10 , 12:24 AM

Went in with my husband, and a friend, an insurance fraud investigator/cop. I KNOW I have not been looking at the current diamond for the last 18 years!!!!
We started out asking if there was perhaps a mistake, we gave him an out. He was very defensive and didn't directly answer questions, and denied any wrong doing. The jeweler claimed that appraisals were more an art than a science...The K color could be called an M, the girdle...he would call it 'thin to thick' but I pointed out that would include ALL cut diamonds. He claimed to not know what a transitional cut was...it was a cut done in the 1920s before modern cuts. He claims it IS the same diamond. (Yeah, my old diamond somehow grew a pointy culet!) I didn't have a professional mapping of the diamond, but I had drawn a picture saying the culet was flat, and there was an inclusion half way between the center and edge. He showed me that the current diamond had approximately the same measurements...not exactly the same, AND an inclusion in the same area.
So what ARE the chances that he could find a diamond approximately the same size, half carat, with an inclusion in the same area??? The inclusion I saw was white and L shaped instead of looking like a small black speck which I remember it as. It also looked like there was a chip on the top edge.
The jeweler was on vacation for a week, he claims nobody else has keys or access to the diamonds. There were no reports of mistakes or damage. We asked about could the person who did the work possibly have made a mistake. He didn't go back and ask the guy.
But unless there was an honest mistake, such as damage to the diamond, what was the motivation? There is no demand for an old fashioned cut. I just don't get it.
I'm thinking of getting the current diamond appraised, but I could be wasting time and money. So we find that it is a different diamond...then what? The jeweler offered to put another diamond in the ring, just to make me happy, but he claimed it was NOT to MAKE it RIGHT!
Our cop friend said he did not like the fact that he asked the same question 3 times and the jeweler avoided answering it.
We left with nothing resolved.
So why would this happen? What would be the motivation? He doesn't document things when he receives them 'because he is way too busy'. My receipt was very general and said 'resizing 2 rings'. Seems like to protect himself and the customer, he would have better documentation.

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Yellow Gold ? Pure Decadence

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3475, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-17-10 , 08:51 AM

Hi & welcome,

This is a real conundrum, normally I would mention the fact that it is quite normal for a diamond to look different after a ring has been sized as the diamond will be perfectly clean. Diamonds tend to develop a film underneath that can give a whitish cast to the diamond and when cleaned, will look totally different.

As well, if you show a K color diamond to ten jewelers, 4 may say K color, 3 may say L color and 4 may say M color. It is very subjective, especially when mounted in a ring.

You hit on the fact that would 'normally' me assume it was the same diamond from the start... there is no logical motivation for the jeweler to do something that would risk his reputation.

However, the salient fact is the culet.

If you are absolutely sure that the original diamond did not have a culet and this one does...

Diamonds do not grow culets.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  Yellow Gold ? Pure Decadence

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 424
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3475, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-17-10 , 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnox

...As well, if you show a K color diamond to ten jewelers, 4 may say K color, 3 may say L color and 4 may say M color. ...

I should also mention that some of them cannot count

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old LIjewishgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LIjewishgirl is on a distinguished road

I had mine appraised
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-05-10 , 10:57 AM

Hi,
The same thing happened to me. I brought everything I had (it was not much) and brought the ring to an independent jewelry appraiser. She confirmed that the diamond was not my original stone. She made some phone calls and told us that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. She did not lie! She got someone form the court system involved. The jeweler later said that he made a mistake and set my diamond in another client's ring. I finial have my diamond back. The appraiser made all these different maps and finger prints of my diamond. She said this will never happen to me again. Whenever the ring is out of my hand to bring it back to her and she will be able to tell us within a few minutes.
Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.
LIJG

Old LIjewishgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
LIjewishgirl is on a distinguished road

Appraiser's name
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-05-10 , 11:37 AM

ospy,
I forgot to incude the appraiser's information.
The Jewelry Appraiser
Deborah Villepigue
1295 Northern Blvd.
Manhasset NY
I think her business number is 646-335-6184
she has a website also. Just google The Jewelry Appraiser

Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I'm SURE it was Switched.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-05-10 , 05:20 PM

BEFORE: Color K, (appraisers can be up to 2 off), VSI, no culet, thin girdle, good cut. I remember BARELY being able to see the one inclusion in the diamond, I really had to look hard thru the microscope to see a small black inclusion.

AFTER: Color P, clarity SI-1, thick girdle, pointy culet, poor cut, and there is a chip on the top. The chip and the white inclusion were very visible to me under the microscope.

Police will interview him, I also complained to BBB. As the investigator said, I would have to prove in court that I didn't switch it. I think alerting the public to this thief is justice enough for me.

Since I have talked to others, I have heard similar complaints about him...switched pieces, diamonds loose after he re-tips prongs, shoddy workmanship. My *new* yellow diamond was not even touching one of the prongs in my ring! Plus it was REALLY dirty...everybody said they would be ashamed to send that dirty diamond out their door. (That was after we confronted the jeweler and he cleaned it a second time - and I did not wear the ring after that!!!) The appraiser even asked us why we were paying to have 'that piece of C*** diamond appraised'! The jeweler keeps pretty poor, even non-existent records. Seriously, if you don't get a good itemized receipt of your jewelry when you take it in for repair, walk out the door and take your jewelry with you. I learned my lesson the hard way!!!

Last edited by rlmkelley : 11-05-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I'm SURE it was Switched (2)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-05-10 , 05:45 PM

Plus, for the last 18 years I have not been staring at a yellow P colored diamond flanked by smaller diamonds that are color G-H. There was never a noticeable color difference between all 7 diamonds in the ring. So suddenly seeing a P color diamond between 6 G-H colored diamonds was pretty darned noticeable. (You would have to be pretty blind not to notice how yellow the diamond is compared to the others). The setting was also gold...not white gold. Plus my original diamond threw light off (kind of like a disco ball?) when it was in the sunlight; this one doesn't, it just looks ugly and dirty. That is why we have named it the PEE DIAMOND.

The only GOOD that has come of this is that I found the most reputable jeweler in our area, and he is designing me a ring.

It still makes me mad that others will probably get ripped off by this thief, whatever I say will not make a huge dent in his business...even if I took him to small claims and got a judgement, why would he even pay? He probably wouldn't even show up. One lady I talked to last night said her tennis bracelet was 'repaired' twice by him within 6 months, and the clasp still opened and it fell off into the street. Other jewelers in the area know of his bad reputation...they say if I take him to court he won't pay. Like the appraiser said, there are a lot of crooks in this business.

Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-05-10 , 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Hi, I'm not an expert. A K color diamond will look yellow. Is your setting white gold-if so it may have been replated after it was resized and the yellow in the diamond will be more obvious.
I don't know if your diamond was removed for the sizing process but sometimes they are to protect them. Perhaps when it was remounted it is in a different position in the head/prongs so your view will now see different things. Even looking into the top of the stone will look different.
If the diamond had a grading report when you bought it-the stone was plotted and a jeweler can use it verify if its the same diamond.
Irish

Jeweler's reply to me thru the BBB: he uses laser technology, not the torch to resize, so the diamond could not have been damaged. I am 'to rest assured that it is the same diamond'. OK - so my theory of damage might be ruled out...the *new* diamond is obviously less valuable than the one I had...I guess I'll go with what the appraiser told me...there are a lot of crooks in this business.

Old rlmkelley

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: I had mine appraised
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-05-10 , 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIjewishgirl
Hi,
The same thing happened to me. I brought everything I had (it was not much) and brought the ring to an independent jewelry appraiser. She confirmed that the diamond was not my original stone. She made some phone calls and told us that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. She did not lie! She got someone form the court system involved. The jeweler later said that he made a mistake and set my diamond in another client's ring. I finial have my diamond back. The appraiser made all these different maps and finger prints of my diamond. She said this will never happen to me again. Whenever the ring is out of my hand to bring it back to her and she will be able to tell us within a few minutes.
Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.
LIJG

After hearing other similar stories about this guy from others, and the fact that he keeps very poor records, I'm sure my diamond is gone. Planning to have my new diamond laser inscribed and I will ONLY deal with the one jeweler who was recommended to me by the independent appraiser. He is GIA trained/certified.

BTW - the jeweler in question (the one who switched the diamond), how do I find out if he really is a graduate gemologist as he states he is??? I know he personally doesn't do the work, somebody from South of the border does the actual work.

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 71
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=776, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-06-10 , 12:05 PM

Well, I think the only way to know if the jeweler is a graduate gemologist is to ask to see his certificates and diploma. I don't think you would be able to have access to school records to see the names of the alumni. Also, it depends on which school he went to as well.

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Old garret

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
garret is on a distinguished road

Re: I had mine appraised
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-16-10 , 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmkelley

BTW - the jeweler in question (the one who switched the diamond), how do I find out if he really is a graduate gemologist as he states he is???

you can use this link to check credentials

http://www2.gia.edu/_webapps2/alumni/alumnidirectory/

it'll tell you if he is, but it only lists people who've taken the time to register, so some genuine people aren't listed.

i know a few people who are graduate gemmologists, (who took the course with me) but aren't on the list!!!!

hope this helps

garret

edit: i'm presuming you meant GIA graduate gemmologists....

Last edited by garret : 12-16-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old DougE

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 1

My Karma
DougE is on a distinguished road

What store?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-24-11 , 08:24 PM

Why don't you post the name and address of this guy so others do not follow suit?

Old hallpart

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
hallpart is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 02-18-11 , 01:52 AM

Read Messages in: Appraisal & Insurance All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic ballpark appraisal wanted by russell30
Up a Topic ballpark appraisal wanted posted in Appraisal & Insurance by russell30
Older:
Down a Topic Appraisal needed by JoanneLawrence
Down a Topic White Gold v Yellow Gold posted in JEWELRY by jeff1991