Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

survey on gemstone treatments
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-25-10 , 04:47 AM

Hi Everybody,

We have just launched a survey titled ĎGemstone treatment and the Jewelry Marketí.

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

It is an open survey and all results will be publically available (Hence I hope I do not violate any forum rules).

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Re: survey on gemstone treatments
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-23-10 , 06:28 PM

Seriously do you think many honest people will respond or those who want do debunk public opinion.

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

seriously
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-26-10 , 04:19 AM

Uniquesapphires, if you are serious I think it offensive for the 200+ people who have answered the survey and us doing the work.

What can you possibly mean by this?

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-26-10 , 05:50 PM

I do appologise if any of the 200+ people who have done the survey already, are offended in any way. I think anything that increases the chance for public to get what they pay for is a great thing. My question was a simple one "Seriously do you think many honest people will respond or those who want do debunk public opinion?" Dear Mr. Edward Bristol I have followed your posts from long before I joined the Forums myself and read your posts that I feel would create more offence than what I have asked. I have no axe to grind or product here to sell. Since you appear to be doing a suevey to benefit the public (I assume this because you are encouraging response from trade and public alike and anyone seems able to participate including people who may wish to lessen the imact of your survey or debunk as I asked) and not yourself you cannot possibly take my question offensively as I can assure you this is not what I intend.
Let me explain my intention. For many years now I have been involved in the Jewellery industry from every level and position. I have participated in many surveys yet nothing changes and corrupt practices continue. You sell on your site many gems. How can you be 100% sure that each and every gem you sold is totally free from any enhancement at all. Heat is such a simple method and if done by someone who knows what they are doing I quote "There appears to be no evidence of heat treatment" this statement is appearing on many certificates at the top end of the trade. This proves that even the best experts worldwide cannot rule in or out the most basic form of gemstone treatment known to all of us. Did you sell any gem that you bought from a wholesaler or importer because if you did you probably sold gems that were treated in some way without you even knowing. For years before their disclosure Berrylium treated Sapphires were traded and sold throughout the world and if you consider the possibility that all yellow orange and padparacha sapphires that have heat treatment were done in a furnace next to a piece of chrysoberyl or the crucible itself where a chrysoberyl once was in a previous burn then you have decades of this process being done without knowledge. My first thought at this moment in time when Beryllium treatment was disclosed was What else could have been treated. Did you know that Green Sapphires with Beryllium can turn Blue and with such minute levels the resulting stones have been put down to residue left behind in furnaces from previous burns. Did you know that deep inky dead Sapphires exposed to this same treatment turn a vivid sparkly alive rich deep blue. We are talking here from worthless to very valuable and leaving enough doubt that experts cannot conclude with enough proof to certify this.
Mr. Edward Bristol this is where I come from.
Since you asked a question for a question I asked, let me ask you one in return Why are you doing this survey exactly and who do you see as the the beneficiary of the information collected?

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-29-10 , 04:38 AM

Uniquesapphires,

1. I don't think anybody here is so naive to expect a company to do such work without any return. After all, we are running a business here.

2. I have personally looked through each and every set of answers and I found only three that were suspiciously leaned in one direction or bunked as you call it. We discarded them.

3. Right from the beginning we trading only in gems cut from material that we could determine to be untreated, either by testing or by controlling the supply chain. I wrote a lot about it on my site (e.g. how to mine..) and it was a hard teaching. That was our business idea and separated us from those, potentially also honest, traders who have been doing business with all kinds of gems for decades and whose stocks are a mix of all known or unknown treatments over time. We have focused on the issue from scratch.

The rest is a question of attitude to business. You say, the world is bad, corrupt and can't be changed, so to hell with it. I canít share that point of view because I see many people struggling to do the right thing while surviving even in a tough environment. Nobody is perfect.

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-29-10 , 07:09 AM

"You say, the world is bad, corrupt and can't be changed, so to hell with it." Mr. Bristol these are your words not mine I said "I have participated in many surveys yet nothing changes and corrupt practices continue." If you can state on each and every valuation you produce for every gem you have sold in your previous businesses and current these words" This gem is natural from the ground with the only enhancement being to facet the gem from a rough state to a cut gem" then you are a very brave man indeed. Yet this is what should be written. If a gem has been heat treated then that practice should also be disclosed and so should any other. When I asked you "Seriously do you think many honest people will respond or those who want do debunk public opinion." you responed with "Uniquesapphires, if you are serious I think it offensive for the 200+ people who have answered the survey and us doing the work.

What can you possibly mean by this?" and yet now you state "2. I have personally looked through each and every set of answers and I found only three that were suspiciously leaned in one direction or bunked as you call it. We discarded them." this is very contradictory.
I mean no harm to anyone who sells for a profit as this is an honest way to make a living. I do not believe the world is a bad place. I believe there are many people and corporations trying to do the correct thing and go about business leaving something in it for the next person. Should you choose to remove surveys filled out by some of your 200+ respondents mabey they should recieve an appology for giving their time. I filled out your survey hopeing it would make just that little difference that is needed to help stamp out corrupt practices and will continue to as I believe "anything that increases the chance for public to get what they pay for is a great thing."
Over the decades the brightest minds have put in place measures to remove corruption and fraud. Being only human the needy and the greedy have found ways around these measures. For the past almost 25 years I have had clients come to me with a purchase they made elsewhere most were very happy indeed but some were not at all happy. Of those genuine clients that had been ripped off blatantly they all had one thing in common. They all had a sense that things were not right, things were said while a piece of jewellery was made or a gem being selected that left them feeling misunderstood or invalidated. They later realised that these feelings are what they should have listened to and not the sales person trying to do them harm. They were not educated in diamonds or gems yet they had a sense things were not right.
It is good that you can determine and control in as you say this bad corrupt world that cannot be changed. I say buyer be ware, listen to your instinct get a second or third opinion because you want to remember the pleasure of owning a beautiful piece or recieving one, not the sales person who fooled you. This is unfortunately the foolish feeling many people have for the rest of their lives after being betrayed. The sadest thing is they are reminded every time they see their partner wearing the piece in question.
I wish you good luck in your ventures Mr. Bristol.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Unheated aquamarine by Portal2012
Up a Topic Freelancer 3D Jewelry Designer and Miniature Sculptor offering online CAD services posted in Job Opportunities by 3dwaxcarving
Older:
Down a Topic Clear cut gems closeout sale by selous
Down a Topic azores posted in Greet New Members by azores