Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old NyleKahn

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
NyleKahn is on a distinguished road

Quality of my diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-01-10 , 02:23 AM

I just went through some of the posts in the forum and one of the discussions was on the comparison between GIA and EGL certification.

I recently bought a diamond ring. Normally I always go for GIA certification. But limited time at the shop and in New york somehow ended with me getting a 2 carat ring. I asked if it had certification and was told yes. I only realised it was EGL once I was home. The shop assured me it was as good as GIA.

On reading the posts in the forum it appears that EGL is not that realiable in terms of certification. Could you help indicating what quality and price range this ring is in?

The specifications on the EGL certificate are:
weight: 2.07 ct
Shope and cut: round brilliant 8.21-8.15x4.89
Depth: 59.7%
crown: 13.2%
girdle: medium to thick faceted
culet: very small
polish: very good
symmetry: good
clarity: VS2
coour grade: K

Could you advise on quality and price? thanks

Last edited by NyleKahn : 07-01-10 at 02:30 AM. Reason: incomplete specifications
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=236, In=1

Re: Quality of my diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-01-10 , 02:45 AM

hi. I'll respond here and hopefully your other threads can be removed without other answers to confuse everything.
First, there are more the one EGL lab, but EGLUSA is considered the best of the lot. Second, large carat diamonds are rare, and bring a premium to the seller. An EGL grading certificate usually indicates there is something borderline that would get graded lower by GIA, which would translate to a lower selling price on the stone. It is usually the color and/or clarity grades that differ so perhaps your diamond is lower than a VS2 and perhaps the color is lower than K. How much did you pay for the ring?

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Posting by bellaconstance
Up a Topic Mens Platinum Diamond Wedding Band Ring JB Star posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by mchad
Older:
Down a Topic Choice between two loose diamonds by pbaryl
Down a Topic setting odd size shape gemstone posted in Jewelry Design by capstone