Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old capstone

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
capstone is on a distinguished road

Apatite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-30-10 , 08:36 PM

So I have a 7x7mm trillion apatite, color is not so rich/deep as shown in this picture (haven't figured out how to get a decent gemstone photo yet).

I didn't spend much on it - the purchase was a whim, really. What do I do with it? I've read that many won't work with apatite.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by capstone : 06-30-10 at 08:36 PM.
Attached Images
capstone_apatite.jpg

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Apatite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-30-10 , 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone
I didn't spend much on it - the purchase was a whim, really. What do I do with it? I've read that many won't work with apatite.

If you can find someone who will set it I would suggest putting it in a pendant. Apatite is soft and brittle and totally unsuited for use in a ring.

Michael_E signature
Old capstone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-30-10 , 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
If you can find someone who will set it I would suggest putting it in a pendant. Apatite is soft and brittle and totally unsuited for use in a ring.

Yes, that's what I had read, although I've seen some apatite rings. I may not do anything with it, for now at least. I do think it could make a pretty pendant.

Old capstone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-05-10 , 01:24 PM

I found this Adwar pendant setting that I like. (I now have 2 of the 7x7 trillion apatites.)

However, I'd like it better if it was smooth/didn't have the diamonds. I guess it's possible to have that change made?

So I guess my next step is finding a local jeweler to work with. As you've told me, working with apatite is something many jewelers are not willing to do. Should I expect to pay more (if I can find someone willing to take the job) or is it more the high probability of the stones being damaged in the setting process?

Last edited by capstone : 07-05-10 at 01:32 PM.
Attached Images
capstone_style_top.jpg

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-05-10 , 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone
is it more the high probability of the stones being damaged in the setting process?

Yes, the probability of damage is quite high during setting and I would expect that anyone working on this would not take any responsibility for the survival of the stones. I've no idea on costs for setting as every place has a different approach to this. I also have no idea if Adwar will fill in the diamond area in the wax, but it can be filled with a small gold flat bar and as touch of solder. It will need to be rhodium plated if filled this way, (but probably would need that treatment anyway). This is one of those pieces which should probably require you to discuss it with the bench person or business owner in person.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 07-05-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old capstone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-05-10 , 02:04 PM

Thanks for your help.

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-06-10 , 06:12 PM

I do not entirely agree with Michael, I have set as many Apatites and similar hardness stones. You need to find someone who is capable. Failing this you copuld have the piece made in such a way that the gems are set from the back instead of the front of the piece. This way the piece is completely finished and polished and cleaned and/or plated, then the gem colud be held in by thin claws or glueing at the girdle or a combination of both where no stress at all is transfered to the stone.
Although the gem has shortcomings you must consider that Opal has an identical hardness to Apatite. Apatite is Crystaline material and Opal is not. This means that Apatite has a better chance of survival than Opal and there are countless Opals set in the most destructive of settings and they have survived quite well over the years.

Old TheRockHugger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TheRockHugger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-28-10 , 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquesapphires
I do not entirely agree with Michael, I have set as many Apatites and similar hardness stones. You need to find someone who is capable. Failing this you copuld have the piece made in such a way that the gems are set from the back instead of the front of the piece. This way the piece is completely finished and polished and cleaned and/or plated, then the gem colud be held in by thin claws or glueing at the girdle or a combination of both where no stress at all is transfered to the stone.
Although the gem has shortcomings you must consider that Opal has an identical hardness to Apatite. Apatite is Crystaline material and Opal is not. This means that Apatite has a better chance of survival than Opal and there are countless Opals set in the most destructive of settings and they have survived quite well over the years.

Very pretty stone! I love apatite!

Old beachgirljenny

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
beachgirljenny is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-06-10 , 06:35 PM

I'm sorry but I just can't get over the name 'apatite'... Like "I have an apatite... apatite for destruction!!!"
sorry I just had to say it...

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Color Change Sapphire Need Opinions by jlaw3
Up a Topic Orange Blossom Starmist posted in JEWELRY by cesscooter
Older:
Down a Topic What do you think Green tourmaline by Karin
Down a Topic where can I find antique Cartier watches posted in WATCHES by beachgirljenny