Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry




 
Post Reply New Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-26-10 , 01:02 AM


If I have an irregularly shaped/sized gemstone and I don't have the budget for a custom setting, would getting something like this be a good way to go? Is it less expensive to "customize" the peg head?

If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  


Old BeadMe

    BeadMe's Avatar
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 03-25-10
Posts: 252
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 61
Points: 4010
BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-26-10 , 01:40 AM


Hello capstone!

I checked the link and didn't see the price.
IMO, if you got a precious gemstone, you can bring it an a Jewelry wire artists, -- I think wire wrapping can embrace any imperfections, and you can have your customized ring in a very reasonable price.,just collaborate with the artist and tell her your budget.

Hope this helps..

Old Michael_E

    Michael_E's Avatar
 
My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Joined: 01-17-03
Posts: 1,906
Years:
 
My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0
 
My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10
 
My Karma
Power: 261
Points: 19475
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2023, In=1
Referrals: 3


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-26-10 , 12:11 PM


Yes, buying a shank and them making a custom head for your stone is a very good way to go. There are a large number of bare shanks available and even these can be modified to change them into something more appealing. One thing to keep in mind is that a large stone requires a better, stronger connection to the underlying shank. The shank that you've shown has a locating hole that is used to center a head with a matching locating post. I would cut that entire section out of the shank and fit whatever head was made for your stone directly to the shank in four places, making it much more durable. Do you have a picture or dimensions for your stone ? What type of gem is it ?


Michael_E signature
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-26-10 , 04:03 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
Yes, buying a shank and them making a custom head for your stone is a very good way to go. There are a large number of bare shanks available and even these can be modified to change them into something more appealing. One thing to keep in mind is that a large stone requires a better, stronger connection to the underlying shank. The shank that you've shown has a locating hole that is used to center a head with a matching locating post. I would cut that entire section out of the shank and fit whatever head was made for your stone directly to the shank in four places, making it much more durable. Do you have a picture or dimensions for your stone ? What type of gem is it ?

Thanks for another great reply!!!

I'm considering Morganite. I haven't purchased a stone yet, as I have been trying to figure out which color, shape, size, etc. that I like and might also fit into a small budget. I thought that if a particular shape or size stone would make the ring more costly, I just wouldn't go with that stone, but get something to make the process easier.

Having said that, I really like the light pink color and cushion cut shape of this stone as well as this stone. I also like this one.

In a perfect world, the stone would be roughly 8x8 or 9x7.

I like the idea of having some rose gold in the ring - I like this setting. Would the light pink color of these stones look OK with rose gold or should I go with the more salmon color if I want to have the rose gold? I believe I will go with 14K white gold either way, whether w/rose gold or not.

Last edited by capstone : 06-26-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old Michael_E

    Michael_E's Avatar
 
My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Joined: 01-17-03
Posts: 1,906
Years:
 
My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0
 
My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10
 
My Karma
Power: 261
Points: 19475
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2023, In=1
Referrals: 3


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-26-10 , 07:24 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone
I like the idea of having some rose gold in the ring - I like this setting. Would the light pink color of these stones look OK with rose gold or should I go with the more salmon color if I want to have the rose gold? I believe I will go with 14K white gold either way, whether w/rose gold or not.


I think that those stones would look very nice with rose gold. They are probably not as deep in color as shown at that price. I imagine that the pictures have had some Photoshopping done to them to increase their contrast and depth of color. Likewise the Stuller ring that you've linked to has more contrast between the white and rose gold parts of the ring than actually exist. When rings with multiple colors are polished it is very hard to see the different colors. After they get a bit of wear and a patina of sorts the colors become a bit more obviously different. In any case I would recommend getting the stone first and making sure that the color is suitable and then get a setting to fit it.


Michael_E signature
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-26-10 , 09:13 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
They are probably not as deep in color as shown at that price. I imagine that the pictures have had some Photoshopping done to them to increase their contrast and depth of color....In any case I would recommend getting the stone first and making sure that the color is suitable and then get a setting to fit it.

Hmmm...so I should expect them all to be lighter than the pictures show? I would like to be able to tell that it is pink, so maybe I should go with a darker stone... And you said "at that price". I realize that these are pretty low price/carat. Is there a better place to look for more mid-range prices and (slightly) better quality stones? Or should I just stick in this price point and, like you say, just find a color I like?

Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-27-10 , 08:54 PM


So, I am considering going with this Morganite stone. 2.97 carats, peach color, IF clarity, dimensions: 10.00 x 10.00 x 6.20. Is this too large for a right hand ring?


As I said before I would like to have some rose gold in the setting. I like these 2 Stuller settings.
Series 121351


Series 121350


Would these accommodate/complement a stone of this size? Would they look too much like an engagement ring? Could the stone be made to sit more down into the band to reduce the look of an ER?

Last edited by capstone : 06-27-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-30-10 , 10:34 PM


Since I spent more than originally planned on the stone, then the setting may have to wait a little while. But I'd like to have a rough idea of what I'll be looking at spending.

So I got some prices for a few of the Stuller settings I liked, and I was surprised the prices were as high as they were. Are their prices standard? I was curious if it would be beneficial to price shop.

Now I'm considering this setting.


Old Michael_E

    Michael_E's Avatar
 
My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Joined: 01-17-03
Posts: 1,906
Years:
 
My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0
 
My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10
 
My Karma
Power: 261
Points: 19475
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2023, In=1
Referrals: 3


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-30-10 , 11:24 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone
So I got some prices for a few of the Stuller settings I liked, and I was surprised the prices were as high as they were. Are their prices standard?



Prices for settings from any of the manufacturers, including Stuller, are based on the weight of the piece and then each reseller adds their own markup to cover the cost of finishing the piece, setting any stones and to give them a profit which will cover their costs of overhead, salaries, etc. In addition that this you have the cost of buying and setting the small diamonds which you've shown. These very in price depending on their size and quality. If you'd like a competitive quote I'd be happy to provide one, but quotes are tied to the cost of gold and can change fairly rapidly. This means that when you get ready to do the setting the price may be different than it would be this week.


Michael_E signature
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-30-10 , 11:29 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
Prices for settings from any of the manufacturers, including Stuller, are based on the weight of the piece and then each reseller adds their own markup to cover the cost of finishing the piece, setting any stones and to give them a profit which will cover their costs of overhead, salaries, etc. In addition that this you have the cost of buying and setting the small diamonds which you've shown. These very in price depending on their size and quality. If you'd like a competitive quote I'd be happy to provide one, but quotes are tied to the cost of gold and can change fairly rapidly. This means that when you get ready to do the setting the price may be different than it would be this week.

The prices I was quoted were just for the gold setting, not including the head or the other stones, if there were any. For example, the simple rose/white gold ring was $750, just for the ring - everything else (custom head, setting, etc) would be on top of that. Does that sound reasonable?

Old Michael_E

    Michael_E's Avatar
 
My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Joined: 01-17-03
Posts: 1,906
Years:
 
My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0
 
My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10
 
My Karma
Power: 261
Points: 19475
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2023, In=1
Referrals: 3


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-30-10 , 11:32 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone
Would these accommodate/complement a stone of this size? Would they look too much like an engagement ring? Could the stone be made to sit more down into the band to reduce the look of an ER?


Yes, they could be made to fit a stone of that size...with some modifications. No, a stone that size in a pale pink would not look much like an engagement ring.
No, a 10mm stone can not sit lower since it has significant depth, (if you make it lower it will poke the wearer in the finger). Since this stone is probably between 6mm and 7mm deep and there has to be some material under it, it will stick up fairly high...probably around 9mm above the finger.


Michael_E signature
Old capstone
 
My Profile
Registered User : offline
Joined: 06-21-10
Posts: 23
Years:
 
My Karma
Power: 0
Points: 10
capstone is on a distinguished road


Re: setting odd-size/shape gemstone
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-30-10 , 11:36 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
Yes, they could be made to fit a stone of that size...with some modifications. No, a stone that size in a pale pink would not look much like an engagement ring.
No, a 10mm stone can not sit lower since it has significant depth, (if you make it lower it will poke the wearer in the finger). Since this stone is probably between 6mm and 7mm deep and there has to be some material under it, it will stick up fairly high...probably around 9mm above the finger.

Yes, the stone is 10x10x6.2mm

Read Messages in: Jewelry Design All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Looking for a specific Scott Kay design or other ideas regarding it by hush
Up a Topic Quality of my diamond posted in DIAMONDS by NyleKahn
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for a Ring because I have the love of my life by miami305sir
Down a Topic Greetings posted in Greet New Members by pixgirl
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
 
Advanced Search

Contact Us - Guidelines - Privacy Policy - Refer a Friend - Top^


Google Custom Search

XHTML | CSS
Logged in as Unregistered
Powered by: vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - Present, DiamondRing.com. oHraDaco.
All times are GMT -4. The current time is 10:00 PM.
Validation #36cc455c.