Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
avocadobaby is on a distinguished road

ring size bigger than specified size.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-21-10 , 04:28 AM

Hi,

I bought a platinum engagement ring and signed off on the size which has been documented. When it came back it was 1/2 a size bigger than the specified size.

What would be the standard resolution for this kind of problem?

Remake so that the ring is still flawless?
Cut rejoin? possibly the solder join will tarnish quicker?
place a bead?
Eat buckets of KFC so to grow into the ring.

Would it be unreasonable to be unhappy that the ring has to be modified considering so much care was taken to select the size in the first place?

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: ring size bigger than specified size.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-21-10 , 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadobaby
Hi,

I bought a platinum engagement ring and signed off on the size which has been documented. When it came back it was 1/2 a size bigger than the specified size.

What would be the standard resolution for this kind of problem?

Remake so that the ring is still flawless?
Cut rejoin? possibly the solder join will tarnish quicker?
place a bead?
Eat buckets of KFC so to grow into the ring.

Would it be unreasonable to be unhappy that the ring has to be modified considering so much care was taken to select the size in the first place?

Hi & welcome avocadobaby,

Sorry to hear about the ring not being the correct size.

Did the seller of the ring measure your finger?

Briian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-21-10 , 12:01 PM

I vote for the KFC approach. This will take care of the ring size and reduce wrinkles as one ages. I've been using it for years and it really works.

If you don't want to do that, then I would just have it resized and forget about it. If there are no stones near the area used for resizing AND you have a person competent in platinum soldering do the work, then you will never know that it has been sized. The problem with many platinum sizing jobs is that the person doing the work will use a white gold solder and when they do the polishing the solder joint will erode slightly leaving a line where it was done. Quality soldering in platinum is done at very high temperatures, (so no stones nearby), and with solders which are high in platinum and very close to the platinum in it's material properties. This produces an invisible joint which will never tarnish. Make sure that the craftsperson doing the work will do it this way and you're good to go.

Michael_E signature
Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-21-10 , 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnox
Did the seller of the ring measure your finger?
Briian

Hi brian, yes, the seller measured the finger and we agreed to the size in writing (signiture next to size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
If there are no stones near the area used for resizing

There are pave diamonds starting at about half way up the band on either side. Is half way far away enough from the bottom of the ring to avoid whatever it is you would be worried about? (heat shock?)

Thanks for the advice, Do you think there would be any advantages of doing a bead? or is there no difference.

Also if i'm getting wedding bands made as well, wouldn't the band not match the resized ring?

Last edited by avocadobaby : 05-21-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old BeadMe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute BeadMe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-22-10 , 06:19 AM

Hi avocado baby..

This is really saddening, don't worry we'll find a way..
Recently, I came across with this thread that talks about 'ring adjustments' and I'm not sure if you'll consider that...

@BrianKnox
Just for example, how would you handle this situation?
Can a buyer get a (1/2) or (1/4)refund... or discount on the next purchased item? What do you think?

Thanks!

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-22-10 , 12:32 PM

Quote:
Hi brian, yes, the seller measured the finger and we agreed to the size in writing (signiture next to size)

There are pave diamonds starting at about half way up the band on either side. Is half way far away enough from the bottom of the ring to avoid whatever it is you would be worried about? (heat shock?)

Thanks for the advice, Do you think there would be any advantages of doing a bead? or is there no difference.

Also if i'm getting wedding bands made as well, wouldn't the band not match the resized ring?

That should be far enough away for the small diamonds. The problem is not heat shock, but just heat, as the heat required is so intense that you can't protect them with flux and they will be burned. Being halfway down the band keep the flame from directly impacting them and a good craftsperson can do the solder fast enough that heat transfer through the metal will not be a problem.

Beads are probably your best option, since they will take up some room, keep the ring from spinning and are easily removed should you need a little more room later.

Removing enough material to make your ring 1/2 size smaller would not be noticeable when wearing another ring against it.

I hope that helps !

Michael_E signature
Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-23-10 , 10:20 AM

Quote:

Beads are probably your best option, since they will take up some room, keep the ring from spinning and are easily removed should you need a little more room later.

Michael, this option sounds like it makes most sense, I think I'll do that.

thanks for your help.

oh, is there any chance of burning diamonds with this option? If so what do I look out for when i'm looking at the modified ring? will the diamonds be black/cracked? or is only something you notice after time when the diamond disintegrates into powder one day.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-23-10 , 10:59 AM

Quote:
Michael, this option sounds like it makes most sense, I think I'll do that.

thanks for your help.

oh, is there any chance of burning diamonds with this option? If so what do I look out for when i'm looking at the modified ring? will the diamonds be black/cracked? or is only something you notice after time when the diamond disintegrates into powder one day.

The chances of burning a diamond while installing sizing beads is almost nil. If the craftsman is experienced they will have the diamonds well covered with molten flux and use a white gold solder to install the beads. This all happens at relatively low temperatures and so the diamonds will be unaffected. It will cover any engravings that are on the inside of the ring however. Burned diamonds have frosty looking surfaces, sometimes the frosting is kind of spotty if they've been partially covered by flux. It makes them look dirty until you look at them under magnification and them it's obvious what's going on.

The sizing beads should be installed in pairs and at about 45 degrees on each side of the bottom of the ring. They should be flattened, smooth and polished so that you should not really notice them while wearing the ring. I think that they'll work out well for you.

Michael_E signature
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-23-10 , 08:53 PM

Wanted to add that if the rings have thick and/or wide bands than the half size larger will work out well because the finger tends to get squeezed in both directions with wide or thick bands.
Congratulations on your future wedding.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-11-10 , 08:45 AM

Quote:
The sizing beads should be installed in pairs and at about 45 degrees on each side of the bottom of the ring. They should be flattened, smooth and polished so that you should not really notice them while wearing the ring. I think that they'll work out well for you.

When you are adding beads how do you know how much to add? is there a formula to work it out. Do you use a sizing stick still?

If the inside diameter is H1/2 and you want to get to H
size H is: 0.586 '' (14.88mm)
size H1/2 0.594 '' (15.09mm)

The difference is .008'' (0.21mm)

Do you then just add .008'' (0.21mm) sized beads? or do you have to compensate for the spongyness of the finger and the fact that they are just beads.

Last edited by avocadobaby : 06-11-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-11-10 , 09:24 AM

tada. Check out the KFC chicken wing sized lady lump.

Last edited by avocadobaby : 06-11-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-11-10 , 10:41 AM

Quote:
When you are adding beads how do you know how much to add? is there a formula to work it out. Do you use a sizing stick still?

If the inside diameter is H1/2 and you want to get to H
size H is: 0.586 '' (14.88mm)
size H1/2 0.594 '' (15.09mm)

The difference is .008'' (0.21mm)

Do you then just add .008'' (0.21mm) sized beads? or do you have to compensate for the spongyness of the finger and the fact that they are just beads.

Not so sure about the answer to that... but I did do the math on adding the new KFC "Double Down" sandwich to your diet.

From my calculations, after adding two Double Downs to your weekly diet we would be able to remove that pesky sizing bump in 3.5 weeks.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 06-11-10 , 12:51 PM

Quote:
tada. Check out the KFC chicken wing sized lady lump.

Hey avacadobaby, I'd advise taking that one lumper back and have them do it a little better. That thing is huge and it's going to start to hurt if you're grabbing things with that hand. I would advise two lumps being 1/2 that thickness and spaced off to the sides to the finger as shown with these red arrows. Being smaller and spaced apart would give the same effect of keeping the ring from turning over and also keep you from feeling it when grabbing something.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 06-11-10 at 12:51 PM.
Attached Images
newbumps.jpg

Old andymo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
andymo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 06-12-10 , 07:50 PM

That's a beautiful ring you have there, otherwise i place my bid on the stuffing yourself with KFC.lol.

Old avocadobaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 06-13-10 , 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo
That's a beautiful ring you have there

thanks

At the risk of sounding like goldilocks in the case of the porridge that was never right... boy that ring sure is snug now (I can't wait till summer). I swear there has been no KFC involved! It doesn't spin anymore, but it probably will require knuckle reduction surgery and a bit of chicken grease.... wheres that double down sandwhich?

We'll give it a couple more days, but I might go back to the question: is there a way to measure/guess how much lumpage to add? or is it a case of how long is a peice of string? shave a bit and hope... then if its not quite right shave a bit again.

The jeweller probably didn't want to cover the engraved codes. they have no sentimental value, but thats my guess anyway. The concept of a double bumper sounds more comfortable.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Cartier Ballerine by ringfinder
Up a Topic Matrix cad designer looking for freelance work posted in Job Opportunities by damon2029
Older:
Down a Topic Thinking of selling a bracelet How do I price it by DiscoKitten
Down a Topic hiii posted in Greet New Members by premeet01245