Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Irishlass

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Irishlass is on a distinguished road

Greatly in need of help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-09-10 , 09:48 AM

We are looking to purchase a diamond simulant engagement ring that will have an authentic look, and lasting quality. I would like a 2ct solitare in oval or cushion cut, and I am willing to pay for a white gold or platinum mounting. I have done LOADS of research with regadr to ASHA, DNL and Sona and moissanite... and I am now thoroughly confused as to what the best choice would be. We want a stone that, with good care, with maintain an "authentic look" and not appear to be "fake".
Suggestions? Help! Thanks!!!

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Irishlass

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Irishlass is on a distinguished road

Re: Ask about diamond simulants
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-10-10 , 08:41 AM

I know the mounting is very important, so we are planning on white gold or platinum. I have also heard that the hand cutting is key for a realistic looking stone. I take very good care of my jewelry, so scratching/chipping should not be a concern, but I very much need the stone to look as realistic (diamond like) as possible...and hold that quality for as long as possible, without clouding, discoloring, etc.
We are planning on a 2ct stone in the oval, cushion or flanders cut.
Do you have any advice as to which type of simulant may be the best investment? Realism and lasting quality are of great importance...
Thanks you SO very much for taking the time to answer my questions! All of the research we have done... has left us more confused than when we started!!

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Ask about diamond simulants
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-10-10 , 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlass
I take very good care of my jewelry, so scratching/chipping should not be a concern, but I very much need the stone to look as realistic (diamond like) as possible...and hold that quality for as long as possible, without clouding, discoloring, etc.

I've cut literally pounds of CZ with a few moissanite recuts tossed in for fun and I have never had a stone get cloudy or discolor. I think that those that have this happen, do so because they get a surface film of junk that is very hard to get rid of with normal household cleaning agents. This problem is also magnified in cheap CZ's in that their polishes are not done too well, leading to a surface which can "catch" and hold onto junk more easily.

Quote:
Do you have any advice as to which type of simulant may be the best investment? Realism and lasting quality are of great importance...

There are no simulants which are distinctly more durable than any others, they all require greater care than a diamond. I think that investment is the wrong word to use in conjunction with simulants, since they have no lasting value to anyone other than their original owner. This comment includes moissanite, which is very expensive for a simulant. I sell stones which I cut, Asha's and moissanite's and prefer my stones and the Asha due to their greater realism and lower cost. Moissanite is pretty good, but not as realistic in my opinion, due to it's much greater fire and slightly odd coloring.

The reality with simulants is that, with the exception of moissanite, they are all the same internally and so all have the same level of durability. The differences in their attractiveness comes from their design and polish quality.
The only designed simulant which you can buy is one which is hand cut and designed for your preferences, (due to the trade off between fire, brightness and older or newer cut styles). I have created a large number of custom settings for clients who requested a hand cut CZ as a center stone because they couldn't, or wouldn't, pay the cost of a diamond. A very few have asked for replacements over the years, some for natural diamonds as their fortunes had improved.

Whatever you do, avoid anything using CZ for small side stones. They are generally of low quality, have no realism and can't be replaced on a one at a time basis, due to their heat sensitivity. Moissanite is marginally better in that they do have good realism and can be replaced one at a time, as they aren't heat sensitive. If you have the resources I would suggest always using real diamonds for small stones, since once they are set, they are almost bullet proof. Best of luck with your search and please do send me a note if you'd like to discuss this further !

Michael_E signature
Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Re: Greatly in need of help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-06-10 , 06:26 PM

These are great sugestions however if you consider the number of retailers and valuers who mistake identity with a simple Cubic Zirconia then you must agree that for 10 dollars a swiss cut C.Z. gives everything else a run for their money. You could afford to replace the stone every year and still not come close to a tenth of the price of a moissanite ( synthetic moissanite by the way as real ones are forund on meteorites as discoverd by Dr. Moissanite and these are very rare and indeed very expensive compared to the lab created ones) over a lifetime. My advice if you are still considering is visit Gem shows and see the real thing in your hand and make an educated decision.
I agree with Michael in the fact that i have cut many C.Z and other simulants over the years and the thing that sets them apart is level of cutting and finish. A faceted girdle always fools the professional at a glance as this is rare to see even in diamonds.
If you have the piece can you post an image?

Old fixatedkitty

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Anklet

My Karma
fixatedkitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-23-10 , 03:15 PM

Why not instead of going with a simulate try going with a stone such as White Sapphire, White Topaz, or Goshenite(beryl)? An authentic stone, for less than the price of a diamond.

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-23-10 , 06:56 PM

yes absolutely there are many hundreds of gems available however price versus diamond look is the ultimate comparison.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Sapphire Shopping by Camperm
Up a Topic Cant Find My Auction posted in Auctions by diamondninja
Older:
Down a Topic Unheated Untreated natural Ruby Sapphire Price by AngelSoe
Down a Topic where to get a diamond posted in DIAMONDS by lionel2c