Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ToughDame

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ToughDame is on a distinguished road

Is it worth it to fix gemstone window, Sapphire
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-30-10 , 09:19 PM

Hi!
I posted a question about gemstone windows and Michael E. responsded. I took his advice and tested it against light and paper ....and my sapphire has a window. Check out the pics. Now I would like to know if anyone has had this type of problem and if it is worth it to fix the window or should I just send the stone back. It is a sapphire that was a little over $4,000. Although, it doesn't show up on the pictures it is pastel blue when in natural light and becomes a darker shade of blue away from natural light. I like it but not the window...and while I would keep it I don't want to put a lot of money into this stone if it would be better to buy another for my ring. The specs on the 8.01 gem is in my last post which is located at the following link:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...77#p ost572001

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Images
Window1.jpg Window2.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=247, In=1

Re: Is it worth it to fix gemstone window, Sapphire
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-31-10 , 10:30 AM

Ouch! that is a window indeed. For that size stone and that investment I'd make the decision on how much I liked the color/change. If it doesn't impress you than maybe it isn't the stone for you. But if you do like it a talented cutter like MichealE will make the stone better looking while fixing the window at a reasonable additional cost.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 91
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=965, In=0

Re: Is it worth it to fix gemstone window, Sapphire
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-31-10 , 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughDame
Hi!
I posted a question about gemstone windows and Michael E. responsded. I took his advice and tested it against light and paper ....and my sapphire has a window. Check out the pics. Now I would like to know if anyone has had this type of problem and if it is worth it to fix the window or should I just send the stone back. It is a sapphire that was a little over $4,000. Although, it doesn't show up on the pictures it is pastel blue when in natural light and becomes a darker shade of blue away from natural light. I like it but not the window...and while I would keep it I don't want to put a lot of money into this stone if it would be better to buy another for my ring. The specs on the 8.01 gem is in my last post which is located at the following link:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...77#p ost572001

Any suggestions are appreciated.

A lot of times colored stones aren't cut at the best proportions but to maintain the best color. From the link you posted your stone looks like a lighter sapphire color and if someone were to re-cut the sapphire the color would probably change and might get lighter. Your best bet is to return it and find another sapphire that you like.

Old ToughDame

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ToughDame is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-13-10 , 09:01 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help!

Read Messages in: Lapidary All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic help by lsgifts
Up a Topic Anyone speak good German posted in Germany by Cassandra
Older:
Down a Topic Gemstone Window Question by ToughDame
Down a Topic Nordic Fire diamond Stuller setting posted in Bench Work by Michael_E