Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Karin

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Karin is on a distinguished road

What do you think? Green tourmaline?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-22-10 , 05:50 AM

I know, I have already read enough postings here on Diamond Ring to know that it is almost impossible to identify a gem stone by a picture but I am curious :-)

I just bough this ring on eBay. Somehow the design fascinates me though it is not my usual style. The seller didn't know what the stones are but the ring is said to be 18 k white gold. I can't think of anything but glass or tourmaline that could be that dark green, can you? I only paid $42 so no harm done if it is glass. I am just wondering why someone would set glass in 18 k gold so I am leaning more towards tourmaline.

I am trying to post the pictures from the posting below. You can see how the stones are a bit chipped but I just really like the dark green. I tend to lean towards very dark sapphires too.

- Karin

Attached Images
grøn1b.jpg grøn1c.jpg grøn1a.jpg

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2529, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: What do you think? Green tourmaline?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-22-10 , 01:15 PM

My guess would be a synthetic emerald, at least from the pictures. A few simple tests could give you a better idea. Glass is never dichroic, while tourmaline is always strongly dichroic. Emerald is weakly dichroic and not usually enough to see easily. Looking through the stone with a dichroscope and testing the Refractive Index would be enough to tell you what the stone is. Sapphire is never that color of green, (at least I've never seen or heard of one), and is also strongly dichroic.

Michael_E signature
Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-22-10 , 04:17 PM

Thank you, Michael. That sounds so simple. I think I need to get myself a dichroscope as my interest in gems only seems to increase.

Do you know of cases where there is a difference in the refractive index between the treated gems and/or synthetic versions? I guess we can't so lucky as to be able to spot a 'fake' just by looking through a dichroscope?

- Karin

Old TheRockHugger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TheRockHugger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-28-10 , 12:33 AM

I know syn spinel is almost always 1.73 (while naturals vary in RI). Thats a pretty easy one to pick out. As far as emeralds, the easiest way would be chelsea filter or high (90x) magnification.

I dont know what those stones are...i would also think syn emeralds.

Last edited by TheRockHugger : 09-28-10 at 12:34 AM.
Old ralencoaster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ralencoaster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-04-10 , 12:09 AM

This ring is really beautiful. Tourmalines are characterized by parallel ridges which carries the length of the crystal. Tourmaline aid clarity will help us to go beyond just thinking, in order to take a very broad understanding of reality. It teaches us that we are light beings in physical form and helps us to experience the physical and the spiritual world and to have tourmalines in the jewelry form is much better than anything.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Apatite by capstone
Up a Topic Omega Watch posted in WATCHES by boriska613
Older:
Down a Topic Test for White Sapphires by BlueViolet
Down a Topic Gussie1 posted in Greet New Members by Gussie1