Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Karin

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Karin is on a distinguished road

Resonalbe on-line sources?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-09-10 , 04:52 PM

Hi,

I love old rings but living in Denmark with a limited selection of US and UK vintage jewelry I look on-line for new treassure.

I already use eBay a bit (never for anything expensive) and I have found the Fay Cullen site through this forum. But they are mostly too expensive for me. Does anyone know of reliable on-line websites with vintage jewelry that has nice items below $1000?

Love
Karin

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old DiamondMane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
DiamondMane is on a distinguished road

hi
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-10-10 , 11:03 AM

what were you looking for????

Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Resonalbe on-line sources?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-10-10 , 11:39 AM

I have just discovered the joy of changing my rings regularly and I want to regularly buy pretty, wellmade, mainly old, rings with colourful gems for the fun of wearing them.

Diamonds would mostly be outside of my budget but there are so many other pretty gems. I do want the rings to be gold preferably at least 14 k due to potential resale value at some later time when I might want to change what I have.

I have worn a garnet ring from my grandmother (about 100 years old by now) for many years. I also have a pair of antique earrings (that needs repair) that I am very fond of. I have resently bought a stack of estate rings in runby, sapphire and emerald, and I am utterly in love with a pink sapphire ring at Fay Cullen.

I would probably spend $100-200 pr. month. Ideally I would save and have a bit more available but I know myself well enough to realize that at the begining of a new infatuation I do not well at saving :-) Sometimes I might get lucky with my own money and have $400 to spend.

I would love just about anything in genuine gemstones - citrine, tourmaline, topaz, garnet, peridot, and so the list goes on :-)

Love
Karin

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2541, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-10-10 , 12:49 PM

Karin,
The difficulty with filling your desire comes when one is looking for real antique pieces, particularly those which have the lower priced gems set in them. Typically really old settings which were worn, were worn out...or stored in a box for the last 80 years. Usually what you see are copies of antiques piece which have been set with these lower priced gems. At the present price of gold it becomes VERY difficult to find anything which is light enough to sell at the $200 price point.

If you'd like to look at some copies of old styles this fellow: Filigree Rings.com has a large number of pieces which have been created from old molds and stamp rollers. I've got one of these floating around here and I'll post it in my store section today.
If you're interested I can cut and set a number of different types of settings in these and do so at a discount from the listed prices.

He's also making most of these in sterling silver at a much lower price, BUT I would be careful in what you choose in silver, as only the heaviest of these older styles will be durable enough for daily wear in silver.

Michael_E signature
Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-10-10 , 04:17 PM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for answering. I have already read many of your posts and you come through as a person of great integrety.

I would not mind in the least buying a vintage reproduction from you as I would feel confident that I got a fine quality gemstone. I just didn't think that it would be within my range :-)

I had already browsed the filigree site and they are beautiful. Again I thought it would be too pricy for me but I saw your listing so maybe we need to talk. That could well take care of my immidiate itch :-)

Maybe in the interest of other people 'listening in' we could do the first part of the talk in this thread.

What size stone fits in the setting you posted in your shop? I don't suppose you have any in yellow gold around?

You being the expert - what do you think would look good in this kind of setting?

Karin

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-10-10 , 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
What size stone fits in the setting you posted in your shop? I don't suppose you have any in yellow gold around?

You being the expert - what do you think would look good in this kind of setting?

Karin

Karin,
That setting uses a 5.0 to about 5.5mm in diameter gem. The list price on that site is about $550 right now and I've never had much interest in these settings in yellow gold, so don't have any in inventory. I think that any color would look good in than if these filigree settings, but then I'm not very particular about color and like nearly anything. In a yellow gold I think that a dark pink like a rhodolite garnet or a rubellite tourmaline would look very nice. Blues are always good and emeralds are just incredible. At your upper price point a well done synthetic emerald would look great and be much more durable than a natural one. At you lower price point you are pretty much limited to silver and commercially cut gems like rhodolite, topaz and such. What colors do you like ?

Michael_E signature
Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-11-10 , 04:27 AM

Hi Michael,

For a setting like this I could spend $3-400. I like pink and purple a lot and I think that would look good with the white gold. Too bad the spinel in your store is too big :-)

I like rhodolite garnets a lot and tourmalines as well. I think I'd like a softer colour with the white rather than a bold one like a sapphire and being a bit of a purist, I think I'll pass on the synthetic stones.

Karin

Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-14-10 , 05:29 PM

Hi Michael,

I have decided to wait a bit with this kind of setting. I see in my mind now exactly the kind of ring I would love in this kind of setting and it involves a much bigger morganite. It would be better for me to hold out and get what I really want at a later point.

I'll be back... :-)

- Karin

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-14-10 , 05:50 PM

That's fine Karin. When you get ready for a morganite, let me know. I have several pieces of nice rough and even deeper colored pieces are readily available and not too expensive. Cutting custom stones in lighter material can look a LOT better than typical commercial stones of similar color.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 02-14-10 at 05:51 PM.
Old Karin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-19-10 , 05:13 PM

That sounds awesome, Michael!

I'll be back about this project some time later this year. We'll see how long I can hold out Thanks!

Karin

Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Gems used in the renaissance by Karin
Up a Topic What is a reasonable price posted in DIAMONDS by Debbi71
Older:
Down a Topic Inclusions in Vintage Art Deco ring by Donna5
Down a Topic Daughter s wedding band posted in JEWELRY by Jill67