Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old bahamas

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
bahamas is on a distinguished road

Resizing diamond ring?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-16-10 , 03:35 PM

How long does it take to have a ring resized and how should I go about it?

Hi,

I bought an engagement ring and I need to have it resized. I'm a bit paranoid about leaving the stone with a jeweler, even though I realize that a chance that the stone would be replaced (accidentally or not) is very small.. but still, better careful than sorry..

I called a reputable (according to internet forums) Toronto jeweler (AST Jewellery) and asked if it'd be possible for me to look at the stone under a microscope after the ring was resized to check it against the GIA certificate. (I already had the ring apprised and confirmed to match it's documentation by Harold Weinstein Ltd., so I know it's the right stone). The jeweler told me that it's not a good idea and that I should have somebody else look at it (gem lab, or appraiser) instead of checking it by myself at his office. When I asked what is the problem, he counter with something along the lines of "Are you a diamond expert?", I said no, I'd just check the 'serial number' on the stone against the certificate. After a ten seconds of silence he replied that it is not a good idea..

Now, I didn't think he would try to cheat me, and maybe my question implied that I suspect he would and that's why the vibe of the whole conversation was rather bad.. but isn't that normal for people to worry about leaving a couple thousand stones with a stranger?

Was I out of place to ask about comparing the diamond's number to the certificate?

Also, if you have any recommendation as to where to get my ring resized in Toronto, let me know,

Thanks,
Martin

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 262
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2034, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Resizing diamond ring?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-16-10 , 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamas
How long does it take to have a ring resized and how should I go about it?

Ten minutes to go down in size and 15 minutes to go up in size. Most jewelers have a backlog of work and want to schedule repairs, so most will say one or two weeks. Pay them extra and many will do it while you wait.

Quote:
After a ten seconds of silence he replied that it is not a good idea..

Why not ? It's your diamond and I would want you to check it out right in front of me. I'd even show you all of the inclusions just for fun.

Quote:
Now, I didn't think he would try to cheat me, and maybe my question implied that I suspect he would and that's why the vibe of the whole conversation was rather bad.. but isn't that normal for people to worry about leaving a couple thousand stones with a stranger?

Why should you trust him ? I've never expected anyone walking in off the street to trust me. That's why a microscope was always sitting on the counter.

Quote:
Was I out of place to ask about comparing the diamond's number to the certificate?

Not at all. I don't get it. Having you check the stone and it's number before, and after the work, protects you AND him. It doesn't make sense.

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Diamond Help by rtran
Up a Topic Diamond Help posted in DIAMONDS by rtran
Older:
Down a Topic Guidance on Engagement Ring by kehvN
Down a Topic Opinions please Tacori ring posted in JEWELRY by JLK