Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ruascott

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ruascott is on a distinguished road

What are your opinions of this ebay vendor
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-13-10 , 08:11 PM

I've just started browsing and learning online about engagement rings. I always like to check ebay, and came by a vendor called Luxurious Jewlers Inc in Beverly Hills.

Here is a link to some of their offerings:
http://stores.ebay.com/Diamonds-In-... _sidZ27222227

They seem to post generic pics, so I'm assuming we're looking at some type of mass produced rings. But their prices look pretty good:They have 1.5C round cut solataires for around $3200 on Buy it Now, and their auctions have sold for as little as ~$2800. Their rating says VS-SI, E-F.

They have 100% positive feedback on and over 6,000 buyers. Is anybody familiar with them. Opinions?

Last edited by ruascott : 01-13-10 at 08:13 PM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: What are your opinions of this ebay vendor
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-13-10 , 09:49 PM

Their "Certificate of Authenticity" clearly states that these diamonds are clarity enhanced. This means that they have injected molten glass into the fractures in the diamonds, thereby hiding those fractures. Clarity enhanced diamonds look great...as long as they are moving. Stop and look at them and they always look a little fuzzy. Take the ring into to get it repaired and don't tell the jeweler that it's glass filled and you're likely to have a real mess on you hands, (that glass filling goes bad under the heat of a torch and then it really looks bad). I'd avoid this type of thing and get a diamond worth owning !

Michael_E signature
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-13-10 , 10:03 PM

Hi & welcome,

While I do not know anything about the vendor mentioned, I always recommend that consumers check out ebay sellers at the following link:

http://www.toolhaus.org/

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old ruascott

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-14-10 , 10:49 AM

Ok, wasn't even aware of the clarity enhancement technique. Thanks for the info, i'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

What about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EGL-1-11-CT-D-S...tem1 e59e861f3

I've looked and don't see anything about any enhancements of this stone. What about the grader, EGL. Is this a reputable grader?

Thanks for all then info. Obviously I'm very new to this.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16886, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-14-10 , 11:25 AM

Stick with stones with GIA or AGS lab reports.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-14-10 , 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruascott
What about the grader, EGL. Is this a reputable grader?

Well that all depends on which lab you are talking about. There are four or so EGL labs in the US and many more around the world. Here's a map of those in Eurasia:
EGL Labs

Each of the different labs has a different reputation, some are passable and some are horrible. The cert you've shown doesn't mention which lab and if you look at the inclusion plot diagram it is blank. An SI3 stone can not have a blank plot diagram, so you tell me, does this look trustworthy to you ? My opinion of 99% of e-bay sellers of diamonds is very low, because they are competing on price with fictitious qualities on their goods. Do you really want to take a financial risk of this magnitude to "save" a few bucks ? My advice is to avoid e-bay like the plague. If you want to gamble, go to Vegas, your odds aren't good but they're better than e-bay.

Quote:
Thanks for all then info. Obviously I'm very new to this.

There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, it's actually a good thing as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. Buying based strictly on price and hoping that you'll actually get what is advertised, is a very poor way to get what you want. The best way to get what you want is to buy from a reputable firm which will provide a cert form one of the top labs in the world. These labs in my opinion are:

AGS (AGS Laboratories) USA
GIA (Gemological Institute of America) USA
HRD (Hoge Raad voor Diamant (HRD) Belgium
GGL (Gubelin Gem Lab Ltd) Switzerland

I would add this one since I've always been pleased with the accuracy of their reports:
PGS (Professional Gem Sciences) USA

Once you get your diamond you should also take it and the cert to a qualified independent gemologist to make sure that they match.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 01-14-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old ruascott

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Egl
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-14-10 , 03:16 PM

Any opinions on EGL-Israel?

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Re: Egl
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-14-10 , 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruascott
Any opinions on EGL-Israel?

I wouldn't buy a stone based on it's having a cert from that lab. It's kind of funny, a cert is just a description of the most critical parts of a diamond...something to let you know whether it might be a good looking stone or not. If you could hold the diamond in your hand you wouldn't need a cert because you could tell whether you liked it or not. You could examine it with a loupe and check it's color and even compare it to other stones. This is basically what a lab does.

The problem comes when a lab gets creative and adds a little to the story that doesn't REALLY exist. Buy from one of the labs I've listed and you'll be getting the most realistic description of the diamond. Buy from a different lab and you may be O.K....or not. Some certs and the labs making them are in the business of creatively selling the stones they are describing. The labs listed are in the business of making ACCURATE descriptions. Who do you want to buy from ?

Michael_E signature
Old mrose2009

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
mrose2009 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-02-10 , 02:10 PM

thank you for this info..it is very very useful ..

Read Messages in: Auctions All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Skyjems or other wholesale gemstone emerald dealers by gemloverlattes
Up a Topic Ladies keepsake diamond ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by pjfiveo
Older:
Down a Topic Test by cwb1014
Down a Topic colour and clarity posted in DIAMONDS by madcereallover