Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old AngelSoe

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Ruby and Sapphire

My Karma
Power: 0
AngelSoe is on a distinguished road

Unheated/ Untreated natural Ruby & Sapphire Price
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-05-10 , 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I am confused over the vast range of prices offered for the untreated natural ruby and sapphire.

Can anyone suggest a reliable source that I can refer to for the wholesales prices of the untreated natural ruby and sapphire.

Or anyone with the experience can tell me on this?

Greatly appreciate your contribution on this!

Angel

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Unheated/ Untreated natural Ruby & Sapphire Price
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-05-10 , 01:55 PM

What are you confused about ? Prices are very closely tied to color, clarity and size, with cutting quality taking a back seat to those three. Large, clear stones of intense color are always many times more expensive than stones of lower quality. There are lots of wholesale dealers in these stones and their prices are all over the place too, since much of what is asked for a stone is relative to the range of goods a particular seller carries. Because of this there really isn't any clear, fixed price structure for these stones. If you're looking for a particular price, grade and size of stone your best bet is to find a dealer that you trust and have them ask around to find it for you.

Michael_E signature
Old AngelSoe

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Ruby and Sapphire

My Karma
Power: 0
AngelSoe is on a distinguished road

Re: Unheated/ Untreated natural Ruby & Sapphire Price
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-06-10 , 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
What are you confused about ? Prices are very closely tied to color, clarity and size, with cutting quality taking a back seat to those three. Large, clear stones of intense color are always many times more expensive than stones of lower quality. There are lots of wholesale dealers in these stones and their prices are all over the place too, since much of what is asked for a stone is relative to the range of goods a particular seller carries. Because of this there really isn't any clear, fixed price structure for these stones. If you're looking for a particular price, grade and size of stone your best bet is to find a dealer that you trust and have them ask around to find it for you.

I have read many of your answers in the forum and you have very helpful and prompt to answer to any Q and your answers have been very reasonable and straight forward.. Really appreciate your sharing spirit..=p

The thing that I am confuse about is that most ppl compare ruby&sapphire with diamond and they have very low perceive value about them.. And form I have read some wholesales prices to retailer of ruby and sapphire.. and many are not convince that the ruby and sapphire should be that valuable...

For example:
For unheated ruby under Good range: (4-5 & 5-6) the following are the prices per ct in US$
0.50-0.99 cts. 400-970 970-1,725

Can you also share what is most of the clients' concern and problems in purchasing ruby and sapphires?

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 47
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

The confusion continues
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-22-10 , 08:06 PM

I left this forum alone for some time to see what would be posted. Typically when you ask a question that goes straight to the heart of most peoples profit margin then the response you get is no information at all. I think Michael_E has answered your question as precisely as most people could. If you find someone you can trust then you will be in good hands. There are too many concerns to list here in a forum unless I continued to type non stop for about 2 years and by the time I finish there would be more to add. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you remove the business side from Sapphire and Ruby, then you can make an unbias evaluation of what you like for color and cut. I believe all gems should be cut to perfection regardless of their value in dollars. Too many times I see light colored gems cut poorly and this looks tragic. Likewise I see dark stones cut poorly and the excuse is the material is too dark to allow for top cutting. If a dark or light color Diamond is cut then usually a good standard is applied because this greatly affects the finished price. If a Diamond looks dead it is hard to sell. the public are more accepting of a poorly cut Sapphire or Ruby because we are told this is acceptable. I do not think this is acceptable. Poor cutting is due to the cutter trying to achieve as large a return for their client as possible and this is for greater dollars in return. There are too many treatments and enhancements that have made identification to all but the experts impossible. I have done the training, I have the exposure, I have listened to the clients concerns and I understand your frustration. No one person has the answer. In brief, if the gem has a color that knocks your socks off then that is the color you prefer, if the gem shines and makes you look deeper and wonder why you are captured by it's beauty then this is a gem cut to an acceptable standard and if the price being asked for the gem matters less to you than the pleasure the gem gives to you when you observe it and wear it then look no further you have found your gem. Oh and the price can range from 5 dollars a carat to over 60 thousand U.S. dollars for a 1 carat Sapphire or Ruby it really depends on how rare the particular Gem is. Remember there is no DeBeers style group for Sapphire or Ruby and the market place usually dictates pricing if it does not sell the price drops and if it sells the price goes up. There are many walks of life trading Sapphire and Ruby and what one person calls a top Sapphire would be middle range for another person that is why you and only you can judge what is your top and let the price be secondary not primary in your observation.
Here is a top natural out of ground and cut sapphire we are told sapphire exhibit only 2 colors but here you can clearly see 3 possibly 4 colors in the same gem at the same time. This is truly Natural in it's finest form and of-course it is cut to perfection with extra facets to add more dispersion Brilliance and fire.

Attached Images
SAP33-001-thumb.jpg

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Greatly in need of help by Irishlass
Up a Topic Is this diamond scratched or stained Is it real posted in DIAMONDS by 4l41n
Older:
Down a Topic Midnight Blue Sapphires by vksanger
Down a Topic Channel Ring 0 50ctw Genuine Diamonds In White Gold posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by diamondninja