Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Kimber

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Kimber is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-12-00 , 01:12 AM

I have internet access & my friend has the diamonds. Our question is: are the "Saudia Arabian" diamonds they found in the desert real diamonds? If so, are they worth anything?

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old StevL

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
StevL is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=789, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-12-00 , 12:28 PM

Those are colorless quartz crystals. They are in no way diamond, and have no real value. About 2/3 of the earth's crust is quartz.

------------------
StevL

Old asalem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
asalem is on a distinguished road

A39
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-25-05 , 03:28 AM

Can anyone give me a contact where I can source these desert diamonds.

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Mogan is on a distinguished road

Saudi Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-01-05 , 09:01 PM

Hi my name is Marty and I worked over in Saudi almost twenty years ago and I picked up a box load of these Saudi Diamonds. I wanted to know is there any value to them.

Thanks,
Marty!!!

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Saudi Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-02-05 , 07:46 PM

They were all cut in Thailand. I probably have 50 to 100 carats in asorted size's.

Old battern

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
battern is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=282, In=0

Saudi diamonds = Desert diamonds = Sand Diamonds = Quartz
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-03-05 , 03:45 AM

In the military, it is pretty common for guys to bring back Desert diamonds. I have seen some really beautifully faceted ones!

During safer times, a lot of these stones were "prospected" by the military member. Now it is easier to buy them already faceted.

A friend of mine bought Desert Diamond earrings as bridesmaids gifts and cuff links!

Lisa

Old battern

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
battern is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=282, In=0

Re: Saudi Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-03-05 , 03:50 AM

I found an interesting article on these stones at http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/cepa/p...ep97/story7.htm

Too bad that quartz is a 7.5 on the Mohs. Saudi diamonds would be best suited for necklaces and earrings, rather than rings.

Lisa

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Saudi Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-03-05 , 04:55 AM

Yep I have read the same articale in my search for information. My family member are loaded with what ever we could have them mounted on. I just came across this box again and was suprized to see I still had so many after twenty years. They do look quite amazing after being cut.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 195
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=325, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-03-05 , 11:38 AM

Ohhhh, I'd love to see a photo of the box of "sparkle"!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old KarenLeah15

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 39
KarenLeah15 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 09-04-05 , 07:54 AM

They can be very pretty. I gal I work with has some earrings. They are just beautiful!!

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

RE: Saudi Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-04-05 , 08:55 AM

Yes they are I am just trying to find a market for them and what they may be worth. 20 years ago they were not worth a whole lot.

Old KarenLeah15

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 39
KarenLeah15 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-04-05 , 12:22 PM

I dont think that they are worth very much. My friend that has them was bragging about how little they paid for them.
Try eBay?

Old kingcade

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
kingcade is on a distinguished road

Kimber
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-12-05 , 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber
I have internet access & my friend has the diamonds. Our question is: are the "Saudia Arabian" diamonds they found in the desert real diamonds? If so, are they worth anything?

There is a value are you selling them ?
My search to locate a seller has been unsucessful to date.

It would be good to hear from you

Old kingcade

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Kingcade
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-12-05 , 08:00 AM

Been searching to buy these stones, maybe you would like to sell?

Old kingcade

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

kingcade
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-12-05 , 08:11 AM

Let me know when you find out

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-12-05 , 11:08 AM

I have probably got about 50 to 100 karats and I am getting $100 a karat if you are interested.

Old kingcade

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 12-13-05 , 07:06 AM

Thanks for the reponse, Bought them in a 18K GOLD setting for aprox the same last year in the ME.

Regretably with posting and cutoms duty it is over our budget at $100US,appreciate your kind contact.

Old Mogan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 12-13-05 , 08:03 AM

Where are you trying to import them to??? Not here in the U.S. I take it???

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ChuckFrank is on a distinguished road

'Desert Diamonds'
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 12-18-05 , 12:51 AM

TEARS OF ARABIA
THE MYSTIQUE OF DESERT DIAMONDS

"Desert Diamonds" (referred to locally as "Al Quysumah" diamonds) are natural, clear, semi-precious stones of the same micro crystalline mineral family as amethysts (purple or clear), smoky topaz smoky yellow to dark brown), and citrine (pale to lemon yellow). They get there name from the Saudi village Al Quysumah, situated just southeast of Hafer Al Batin (near KKMC). This village sits in a great gravel basin known as the Ad Dibdibah Palm, which stretches north for hundred of miles into Jordan. Ad Dibdibbah is believed by Geologist to be the delta of a prehistoric drainage area for a great river having its headwaters near Al Madinah in western Saudi Arabia.

In the ancient days when the oil deposits of the Saudi Peninsula were being formed, heavy rains washed stones of igneous and metamorphic rock and quartz from the Hijaz Mountains toward what is now the Arabian Gulf. In the process, "Desert Diamonds" were deposited near Al Qaysumuh. These stones can be found in other areas of Saudi Arabia, within a narrow band running from within a few miles of the Iraq border in the north, to a southern location about fifty miles south of Al Kharj. The major source of these gemstones is the Al Quaysumah region to the north.

Desert Diamonds are very high-grade quartz material with physical properties that produces an appearance seen in the expensive carbon based diamonds obtained from Africa and Siberia. Desert Diamonds, unlike other natural precious stones and some synthetics are stable. They do not discolor or become brittle and crack as they age, they are forever.

Most of us think of diamonds in terms of "carats." A carat is best thought of as a "density and weight" measured in terms of hardness. The "Mohs" scale sets carbon diamonds at "10" (the hardest). Soft semi-precious stone azurites in the amethyst family have a hardness of 3.5 to 4.0. Relatively speaking. The Desert Diamonds have about the same hardness as aquamarines, both rating about 7.5 on the Mohs scale.

We have found that the best time to search for these diamonds is in the early morning or late afternoon when the angle of the sun helps identify the rough stones by causing them to give off a soft glow as the sun light passes through them.

Prices per carat for Desert Diamonds vary as a function of the Gemologist's prices in Bangkok, mark-up, quality, and bargaining. In making a purchase of Desert Diamonds look for characteristics like clarity and cut. To ensure that you are getting a quality Desert Diamond, make your purchases from someone you know or will show you receipts from a jeweler or gemologist indicating where the stones were found. A note of caution: There has been some belief the Desert Diamond could be heat treated to bring out more luster. On our trips to Bangkok we've checked with a number of jewelers to see if the Desert Diamond could in fact be heat-treated? We were told by the jewelers, "if someone tells you they heat treat, what they really do is swap your beautiful Desert Diamonds with Quebec Zirconium." Just be careful!

Compliments of the Desert Diamond Dude

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

desert diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 12-18-05 , 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamLady
Ohhhh, I'd love to see a photo of the box of "sparkle"!

I can show you photos of jars and boxes full. Many differrent sizes and shapes. Polished, rough, and faceted gems, found wondering the desert of KSA

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Desert Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-21-05 , 09:42 PM

Unless you are a gemologist you won't be able to tell the difference. They would preform a specific gravity test to analize the material. They look great believe me. I will try and post a photo some how. Of course they have value in the eye of the beholder. When you see them you tell me what you think. Watch the posts. Chuck Frank

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Desert Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 12-21-05 , 11:31 PM

They limit the size of pic files so I was unable to attach to viewable reply or post. Sorry I am to please.

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Desert Diamond Source
Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-26-05 , 12:47 AM

What size and cut are you looking for in Desert Diamonds. I could help you find some really beatiful gems that will last much longer than we will. I was hoping I could spark some interest in this topic. Help me, help you. Not very active forum subject. Nobody should control so much semi precious gems. Reasonable and excellent quality.

Old Roslynne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Roslynne is on a distinguished road

Re: 'Desert Diamonds'
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-10-06 , 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckFrank
TEARS OF ARABIA
THE MYSTIQUE OF DESERT DIAMONDS

"Desert Diamonds" (referred to locally as "Al Quysumah" diamonds) are natural, clear, semi-precious stones of the same micro crystalline mineral family as amethysts (purple or clear), smoky topaz smoky yellow to dark brown), and citrine (pale to lemon yellow). They get there name from the Saudi village Al Quysumah, situated just southeast of Hafer Al Batin (near KKMC). This village sits in a great gravel basin known as the Ad Dibdibah Palm, which stretches north for hundred of miles into Jordan. Ad Dibdibbah is believed by Geologist to be the delta of a prehistoric drainage area for a great river having its headwaters near Al Madinah in western Saudi Arabia.

In the ancient days when the oil deposits of the Saudi Peninsula were being formed, heavy rains washed stones of igneous and metamorphic rock and quartz from the Hijaz Mountains toward what is now the Arabian Gulf. In the process, "Desert Diamonds" were deposited near Al Qaysumuh. These stones can be found in other areas of Saudi Arabia, within a narrow band running from within a few miles of the Iraq border in the north, to a southern location about fifty miles south of Al Kharj. The major source of these gemstones is the Al Quaysumah region to the north.

Desert Diamonds are very high-grade quartz material with physical properties that produces an appearance seen in the expensive carbon based diamonds obtained from Africa and Siberia. Desert Diamonds, unlike other natural precious stones and some synthetics are stable. They do not discolor or become brittle and crack as they age, they are forever.

Most of us think of diamonds in terms of "carats." A carat is best thought of as a "density and weight" measured in terms of hardness. The "Mohs" scale sets carbon diamonds at "10" (the hardest). Soft semi-precious stone azurites in the amethyst family have a hardness of 3.5 to 4.0. Relatively speaking. The Desert Diamonds have about the same hardness as aquamarines, both rating about 7.5 on the Mohs scale.

We have found that the best time to search for these diamonds is in the early morning or late afternoon when the angle of the sun helps identify the rough stones by causing them to give off a soft glow as the sun light passes through them.

Prices per carat for Desert Diamonds vary as a function of the Gemologist's prices in Bangkok, mark-up, quality, and bargaining. In making a purchase of Desert Diamonds look for characteristics like clarity and cut. To ensure that you are getting a quality Desert Diamond, make your purchases from someone you know or will show you receipts from a jeweler or gemologist indicating where the stones were found. A note of caution: There has been some belief the Desert Diamond could be heat treated to bring out more luster. On our trips to Bangkok we've checked with a number of jewelers to see if the Desert Diamond could in fact be heat-treated? We were told by the jewelers, "if someone tells you they heat treat, what they really do is swap your beautiful Desert Diamonds with Quebec Zirconium." Just be careful!

Compliments of the Desert Diamond Dude

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Hi,
I'm interested in buying a large quantity of cut or uncut desert diamonds on an ongoing basis for my jewellery company here in Dubai. Can you supply?
Reagards
Roslynne

Old ChuckFrank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Saudia Arabian Diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 01-27-06 , 01:02 AM

Here they are folks just a few Pics Desert Diamonds. Not sure of the photo quality had to convert. You can e-mail me and a I will send you better photos upon request. Listen folks they are very nice for the price!!!!

Attached Images
dd6.jpg dd8.jpg dd2.jpg dd4.jpg

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Alexandrite chrysoberyl by agapiosp
Up a Topic not new here but been along time so new name posted in Greet New Members by LovesRings
Older:
Down a Topic Colombian emerald grid by Portal2012
Down a Topic Art N Gold posted in JEWELRY by WillyA