Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old vegasvec

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
vegasvec is on a distinguished road

Depth, Table, Polish, Symmetry Girdle - Scale & What Does it all mean??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-22-09 , 09:23 AM

I often need my chart that shows the range of color, so I can remember where I am looking (i.e. colorless vs near colorless).

Now, I come across some diamond attributes listed below, and I am not sure what they mean. Can someone refer me to a good website that details what these mean and what the range is?

For example, all other things being equal, if one diamond has a depth of 65% and another 55%, what does that mean? When you look at the diamond, that 10% difference would be seen where?

Also, what is the range of polish and symmetry? For example, is excellent better then very good or is it the other way around.

Thanks!

Depth
Table
Polish
Symmetry
Girdle

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=251, In=1

Re: Depth, Table, Polish, Symmetry Girdle - Scale & What Does it all mean??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-22-09 , 09:56 AM

Hi! and Welcome to DR! Check out our Education forum and this tutorial for info.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2550, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Depth, Table, Polish, Symmetry Girdle - Scale & What Does it all mean??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-22-09 , 04:58 PM

In addition to Irish's links, you might look over those at the GIA here: GIA 4-C's

Some parts of your question would require your becoming a gemologist to understand in depth. Things like symmetry and polish quality are a bit nebulous at first glance and not always obvious when looking at a stone without having the benefit of magnification. Those aspects of quality have a fairly low effect on the look of a diamond unless they are way out of whack...the difference between an excellent polish and a very good one being only evident when examining the stone under a microscope, for instance.

Depth, table size and girdle thickness play a much larger part on how a stone looks. The table size and girdle thickness can be directly measured. The depth percentage has to be calculated as an average of the total depth divided by the average width of the stone. Tied up in the depth percentage are all of the various angles on all of the facets of the stone. A stone can have a "normal" depth percentage and yet still have a a deep or shallow crown, pavilion or girdle, making it look less attractive than it would have been, had each of it's parts been within what is considered an attractive range.

It's all pretty complicated and there's a wide range of what is considered "Ideal", making it really necessary to actually LOOK at whatever stone you're thinking of getting. This is the only way to be certain that YOU find the stone attractive and are not buying it because someone else says it is.

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Diamond Selection 3 Choices from Blue Nile by vegasvec
Up a Topic 2 11 Asscher G VS1 posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by mjpa
Older:
Down a Topic 1 02 Round Canada Pride Advice by torren503
Down a Topic Wedding Engagment White Gold Marquise diamond ring set posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by crepko