Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old eristic

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
eristic is on a distinguished road

1930s diamond engagement ring--how unusual?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-09-09 , 12:03 AM

I'm getting close to buying a vintage diamond engagement for my girlfriend, and came across this ring at a booth on 47th Street in New York. The stone was described to me as being an Old European Cut, 1.03 carats, I or J color, VS2 set in platinum. The stone is eye clean, but the color bothers me a bit (is it really even a J?). Although it's not evident from the attached photos, the culet is indeed open, but the opening is quite small.

I've been to virtually every store in NYC that sells vintage engagement rings--and have scoured the internet as well--and this is the only simple round bezel setting I've seen. It's also the only setting I've seen--vintage or replica--with this kind of geometrical lattice around the girdle. Has anyone out there seen a similar design before? Does the design likely indicate that the ring is from the 1930s?

I love this ring since it's vintage but understated and not too "busy," and I especially like that it looks so different when viewed from the top or sides.

Unfortunately, the dealer seems shady (e.g., no returns but exchanges only), but I like the ring so much I'm willing to do business with him. I've currently negotiated him down to $3800 (from his opening of $4750), but that still seems too high to me. Does anyone have an opinion on the price? I'm probably going to get an independent appraisal from Mark Burda before buying.

Attached Images
ringb.jpg ring2b.jpg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Fields

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Ring

My Classifieds
Gemstones: 6

My Karma
Power: 0
Fields is on a distinguished road

1930 Vinage engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-11-09 , 07:56 AM

I am a new member to this sight and will be posting my mothers wedding band and engagement ring set in platinum in the near future . The stone in the engagement ring is only 1/2 ct. Knowing my father it would be of the highest quailty. I have not yet had a gem report done nor an appraisal. If you would like to see the ring I would be more than willing to send you a picture.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2550, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: 1930s diamond engagement ring--how unusual?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-11-09 , 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eristic
Has anyone out there seen a similar design before? Does the design likely indicate that the ring is from the 1930s?

I've seen similar designs and that ring is obviously handmade, (the small rounded remnants of holes at the corners of the geometric design show that), and so unique in that respect. There's really no way to date the piece since there are people still hand making things like this. I would suspect that it is from the early thirties though, due to the cut style of the stone and the fact that platinum was pretty rare in jewelry from then until well after the end of WW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eristic
Unfortunately, the dealer seems shady (e.g., no returns but exchanges only), but I like the ring so much I'm willing to do business with him. I've currently negotiated him down to $3800 (from his opening of $4750), but that still seems too high to me. Does anyone have an opinion on the price? I'm probably going to get an independent appraisal from Mark Burda before buying.

There's really no way that a person can tell you with any precision what that stone weighs, since the diameter can only be directly measured with the stone out of the bezel. It could be heavier or lighter depending on the thickness of the girdle and it's actual diameter. The price seems pretty good , but I would defer to your appraiser on every aspect of this piece, since he will be inspecting the ring first hand. Getting an appraisal is a definite good move.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 08-11-09 at 12:08 PM.
Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic oec diamond appraiser in boston ma area by drm
Up a Topic Tiffany Bead Setting posted in DIAMONDS by nextdoornobu
Older:
Down a Topic Identifying Jewellers Mark by markinquiry
Down a Topic Ex Aurum Jewellers Montreal Canada posted in Greet New Members by ExAurumJewelle