Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old asiaticgirl

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
asiaticgirl is on a distinguished road

Determining Cut rating from an EGL report - Radiant Square Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-20-09 , 10:08 PM

Greetings,

I will be making a big purchase this week online and I am unsure of the Cut's quality since it is not listed on the EGL report. I have read up on the importance of CUT and how the same ring with all the other C's being equal can cost signigicantly less if the CUT is poor.

I am including a copy of the report , in hoping to receive some guidance in this area.

Attached Images
2829524840-EGL-Report.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8871, In=2
Referrals: 2

Re: Determining Cut rating from an EGL report - Radiant Square Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-20-09 , 10:38 PM

In my opinion buying a diamond with an EGL report is like buying a house with a property appraisal that doesn`t describe the hole in the roof. Paper is unreliable in more than one area.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 444
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4437, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-21-09 , 12:22 AM

Ouch... an EGL foreign M color.

Have you seen a diamond with this level of tint?

This is not a diamond quality most consumers would be happy with.

A diamond with this level of yellow tint will only be for people with a preexisting absolute preference for strongly tinted diamonds, which from my experience is maybe as high as 1-2 % of consumers.

This type of tint will not grow on you, in fact, if you do not have the above mentioned preexisting preference for this strong tint, it is the kind of thing that will bother you more and more every day...nuff said.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 444
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4437, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-21-09 , 07:40 AM

OK...looking at the report again in daylight it appears that the diamond is an H color which is a lot less scary than an M color.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is that a EGL foreign H color will likely still be a tinted diamond as opposed to the GIA standard of H color which is a nice white stone.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old asiaticgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-22-09 , 10:32 AM

Thank you for the guidance Brian, I think based on this I will move on to something else that I am more comfortable with. Especially for an online purchase that I only have 3 days to return.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-22-09 , 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiaticgirl
Thank you for the guidance Brian, I think based on this I will move on to something else that I am more comfortable with. Especially for an online purchase that I only have 3 days to return.

Regardless of what you move on to, it is impossible to determine the cut of a radiant cut stone by looking at it's cert. None of the major labs make cut quality determinations on radiant cuts. This is because the variables are too great to make a determination without examining the stone, (that means looking at it). I wouldn't buy something like this with a 3 day return period, since you'll probably want to have an independent appraiser/gemologist look the stone over before making a permanent commitment.

Michael_E signature
Old asiaticgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-26-09 , 10:17 PM

Thank you for the reply Michael, I feel very comfortable with my decision in not making that purchase.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic loose diamonds on ebay by KerryB22
Up a Topic Gelin Abaci Tension Rings posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by Jan
Older:
Down a Topic I know these are stupid newbie questions by jvberryjr
Down a Topic Gorgeous 2 05 CT Platinum Diamond Engagement Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by dcsn