Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old malfy34

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
malfy34 is on a distinguished road

depth table concerns
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-27-09 , 12:31 AM

Hello,
I have been shown two diamonds. they seem to have all of the features i would like and are within my price range but i am concerned about the depth table #'s b/c they are on the higher end of what i've been reading is acceptable.
1 carat princess F VS1 VG cut 66 depth 79 table $4600
1 carat princess f vs2 good cut 72 depth 78 table $4250

these prices compare favorable vs. most online sites i've looked at but im not sure how the depth and table #'s play into the price, am i geting a good deal?

if i have to sacrifice something between cut, color, clarity and the depth and table dimensions does it make the most sense to sacrifice on the depth table diminesnion?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: depth table concerns
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-27-09 , 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfy34
am i geting a good deal?

if i have to sacrifice something between cut, color, clarity and the depth and table dimensions does it make the most sense to sacrifice on the depth table diminesnion?

You will have no idea whether you are getting a good deal until you actually hold the diamond in your hand. Making decisions based on just a couple of dimensions like table width and total depth percentage is like choosing a car based on the size of it's wheels...it's just not enough information to make an adequate decision. If you're buying on-line you absolutely NEED to be able to talk to someone who will be able to look at the diamonds you are considering and give you an HONEST description of the way they look.

Depth and table dimensions are part of the cut of a gem and so have to be taken along with all of the other dimensional characteristics which make up the cut quality of the stone. They can't be taken to mean anything by themselves, but are only meaningful as PART of the information that is REQUIRED to get an accurate idea of cut, without actually looking at the stone.

Michael_E signature
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16819, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-27-09 , 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfy34
Hello,
I have been shown two diamonds. they seem to have all of the features i would like and are within my price range but i am concerned about the depth table #'s b/c they are on the higher end of what i've been reading is acceptable.
1 carat princess F VS1 VG cut 66 depth 79 table $4600
1 carat princess f vs2 good cut 72 depth 78 table $4250

these prices compare favorable vs. most online sites i've looked at but im not sure how the depth and table #'s play into the price, am i geting a good deal?

Do the stones have a GIA lab report? First and foremost I would make sure the stones have a GIA lab report first. 2nd the most important factor in buying a diamond is the cut grade on the diamond. That is what will make the stone sparkle or not. With a larger table, it generally comes with a lower crown height which will also more than likely affect the light return.
There is an example of light return analysis on this stone if you click on the live report link.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=87319

This one is a real sparkler.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old malfy34

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
malfy34 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-27-09 , 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Do the stones have a GIA lab report? First and foremost I would make sure the stones have a GIA lab report first. 2nd the most important factor in buying a diamond is the cut grade on the diamond. That is what will make the stone sparkle or not. With a larger table, it generally comes with a lower crown height which will also more than likely affect the light return.
There is an example of light return analysis on this stone if you click on the live report link.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=87319

This one is a real sparkler.

it has a gia report but i had heard that they don't certify the cut for princess's so how do i actually know how good the cut is other than taking the jewler's word for it? Is there a noticeable difference between good and very good cuts?

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 262
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8837, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-27-09 , 01:18 PM

There is more to it than table and depth in judging the cut of a princess cut diamond.

Light return is key to how the diamond will sparkle to the eye. Paper can`t express this, and neither will table and depth alone, or any other external perimeters on their own.

There can be a noticeable difference in what one jeweler calls good or verygood cut compared to others. Could be his personal preference even for large tables and spready makes. That doesn`t mean it will be the brightest diamond. Where is the proof ? Can you see the difference? This is what you need to compare.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic In Lieu of the Diamond by ChettGee
Up a Topic 3 74 Carat Engagement Ring and Wedding Band posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by marykmo3
Older:
Down a Topic Need some advise on some diamonds by rontoh
Down a Topic Need some advise on some diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by rontoh