Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ChettGee

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ChettGee is on a distinguished road

In Lieu of the Diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-26-09 , 01:49 PM

Do people buy their girfriend's engagement rings that do not have a diamond center stone? Is this common or acceptable? I'm not being cheap, she has just said "everyone has a diamond...I want something else." So, what do you think? How about a quartz?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8887, In=2
Referrals: 2

Re: In Lieu of the Diamond
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-26-09 , 01:53 PM

Sapphire holds up better. Had several use sapphire as a center stone in engagement rings.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-27-09 , 11:34 AM

Hi! I second Brad's suggestion because unlike quartz, sapphire will hold up to the wear and tear an engagement ring will have to take. You don't have to choose blue; sapphire comes in a variety of colors.

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-27-09 , 12:06 PM

How rough she is on her jewelry pretty much determines the need for durability. Sapphire is great, as is spinel. I've even made engagement rings using aquamarine that have held up for the last ten years with no problem. I wouldn't use quartz though, it's fairly soft and a bit brittle. What sort of color are you thinking of, or will this be colorless ?

Michael_E signature
Old ChettGee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-27-09 , 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
How rough she is on her jewelry pretty much determines the need for durability. Sapphire is great, as is spinel. I've even made engagement rings using aquamarine that have held up for the last ten years with no problem. I wouldn't use quartz though, it's fairly soft and a bit brittle. What sort of color are you thinking of, or will this be colorless ?

Ok, here is the deal. I have been lloking for awhile and just the other day she mentioned that she "knows what ring she'd want if we ever got engaged." I thought, "perfect." It is a pink quartz center ring w/diamonds from Cartier. My questions are: 1.) at 7 grand is that too pricey? I know it depends on my budget...but for a quartz ring, what do you think? 7 grand was about what I wanted to spend. 2.) I'm now worried Quartz will break or not hold up for everyday use. She's a not a construction worker or anything but still. What do you all think? And thanks in advance

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-27-09 , 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChettGee
Ok, here is the deal. I have been lloking for awhile and just the other day she mentioned that she "knows what ring she'd want if we ever got engaged." I thought, "perfect." It is a pink quartz center ring w/diamonds from Cartier. My questions are: 1.) at 7 grand is that too pricey? I know it depends on my budget...but for a quartz ring, what do you think? 7 grand was about what I wanted to spend. 2.) I'm now worried Quartz will break or not hold up for everyday use. She's a not a construction worker or anything but still. What do you all think? And thanks in advance

There must be some misunderstanding.... 7 grand for any quartz ring is WAY too much to spend. For that price you could get a decent pink sapphire and have enough left over for a nice vacation. If you're going to spend significant money on this, then get something which will last. Sapphire, ruby, spinel or some other more durable stone. Of course, if she's set on Cartier, then you're going to pay for it, but at least get something durable.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 05-27-09 at 02:58 PM.
Old ChettGee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-27-09 , 03:09 PM

So buying her the Pink Quartz with Diamond ring from Cartier is foolish? I finally found THE RING she wants and it is a ripoff? I really appreciate your advice, but is that what you are saying?

Old ChettGee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-27-09 , 03:12 PM

FYI,
here is a link to the ring. It is the one on the right side upper corner though...the pink one:
http://www.cartier.com/en/Creation,...%A9rieuse-Rings

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-27-09 , 03:28 PM

Quote:
So buying her the Pink Quartz with Diamond ring from Cartier is foolish? I finally found THE RING she wants and it is a ripoff? I really appreciate your advice, but is that what you are saying?

No, it's just that it's priced for a clientele to whom money is not an issue. People who routinely buy from Cartier either have so much money that this price is a pittance....or they want to seem like they do. If money matters to you, then you can get a much more durable ring with a center stone that has much greater lasting value for a much lower price. Quartz is not a tough stone and in that setting would probably not last for more than a couple of years of daily wear before it was getting beat up. The way the prongs have stones set in them would make replacing the center stone rather difficult. A ring like that for daily wear almost requires a sapphire in order to give adequate life.

Michael_E signature
Old ChettGee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

re
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-27-09 , 03:39 PM

Damn. Ok. Well forget that idea then. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Money is certainly an issue and I AM NOT the typical Cartier clientele at all. I wonder if I could have that ring replicated and just propose with it and then let her pick out another ring from there. Any idea if replicating that ring is doable and if so, at what cost? Who should I go through?

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Re: re
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-27-09 , 04:11 PM

Quote:
Any idea if replicating that ring is doable and if so, at what cost? Who should I go through?

Sure, that's one of the things that I do. The cost for this sort of thing depends on the diamond content, but it can most likely be done for around 1/3 of the cost of the Cartier piece. I would advise not making something if you expect that she will want something different after she's received the first ring. Since you've already discussed what she likes, I'd suggest that you have another discussion with her with regard to her preference of stones and stone sizes. That Cartier ring has a pretty large center stone and if she really likes that style and would like a more durable center stone, it may be better to go smaller, (since a pink sapphire in that size would be quite expensive). In any case, getting it right the first time would save you a bundle, make her happier and set a good precedent for future discussions in your relationship.

She might even like to get involved in the design part of creating a ring with you. If you, or both of you, would like to play around with making some computer models of this or similar rings, send me an e-mail and I'll make up some models around your preferences, (no cost or anything...might be fun for both of you).

Michael_E signature
Old ChettGee

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

re
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-27-09 , 06:13 PM

Michael,

Thanks again. So much. Please check your email

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Tiara Diamonds by iamnotaposer
Up a Topic Need help removing diamonds from watch posted in JEWELRY by nvx
Older:
Down a Topic depth table concerns by malfy34
Down a Topic 3 74 Carat Engagement Ring and Wedding Band posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by marykmo3