Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ntpf

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice

Need a ladies advice on Sapphire ER :)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-13-09 , 04:48 PM

HI! I know the advice I should be getting is straight from her. But she doesn't wear jewelry at the moment and I feel her opinion could change over time as she continues to wear this and learn more. Of course she would be happy with whatever I choose, she's the type of girl who would be happy with a mood ring! We've discussed and she is thrilled with the idea of using another stone, I've suggested Sapphire and she was excited by that idea (she doesn't "need" a diamond). Still I want input from this community to describe what they like and find classy.

The most input I was able to get from my girlfriend is she likes a more "antiquey" look (not much help)..... She also liked the darker colored metal. She thought that was white gold but I explained WG fades yellow.

What I want to know is how you feel about the following ideas and if you have other suggestions or advice. I think my budget will have to be ~$5K:

I was originally thinking an emerald cut Sapphire with Diamond Trillions, But.... After looking around midtown Manhattan I was told by a jeweler to check out Tiffany's to get an idea of the color of Sapphire they use (to see what is considered great). 2nd floor Engagement Ring section has Sapphire ERs. I saw their three-stone Round Sapphires with a Diamond Center and was FLOORED!! I LOVED IT!! But everything there is SO expensive.

But I was reconsidering the ring design now loving the three-stone setting with Sapphire/Diamond. With only $5K I'm wondering what would be the most spectacular Sapphire/Diamond combo!:

1.) Three-stone Round with a larger diamond in the center
2.) Three-stone Round with a larger Sapphire in the center
or
3.) Original idea with Emerald Cut Sapphire and Trillion Diamonds

I'm trying to understand which in the first two would look best--because a large center diamond in #1 may cost more than the two smaller ones in #2. Plus a center Sapphire in #2 would cost less so I could get a bigger one so would #2 be a larger ring design?

Or would #3 be best since the Trillions are so small the Sapphire would be even bigger than all other choices.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to be clear and specific! Thanks!

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 363
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=277, In=0

Re: Need a ladies advice on Sapphire ER :)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-13-09 , 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpf
HI! I know the advice I should be getting is straight from her. But she doesn't wear jewelry at the moment and I feel her opinion could change over time as she continues to wear this and learn more. Of course she would be happy with whatever I choose, she's the type of girl who would be happy with a mood ring! We've discussed and she is thrilled with the idea of using another stone, I've suggested Sapphire and she was excited by that idea (she doesn't "need" a diamond). Still I want input from this community to describe what they like and find classy.

The most input I was able to get from my girlfriend is she likes a more "antiquey" look (not much help)..... She also liked the darker colored metal. She thought that was white gold but I explained WG fades yellow.

What I want to know is how you feel about the following ideas and if you have other suggestions or advice. I think my budget will have to be ~$5K:

I was originally thinking an emerald cut Sapphire with Diamond Trillions, But.... After looking around midtown Manhattan I was told by a jeweler to check out Tiffany's to get an idea of the color of Sapphire they use (to see what is considered great). 2nd floor Engagement Ring section has Sapphire ERs. I saw their three-stone Round Sapphires with a Diamond Center and was FLOORED!! I LOVED IT!! But everything there is SO expensive.

But I was reconsidering the ring design now loving the three-stone setting with Sapphire/Diamond. With only $5K I'm wondering what would be the most spectacular Sapphire/Diamond combo!:

1.) Three-stone Round with a larger diamond in the center
2.) Three-stone Round with a larger Sapphire in the center
or
3.) Original idea with Emerald Cut Sapphire and Trillion Diamonds

I'm trying to understand which in the first two would look best--because a large center diamond in #1 may cost more than the two smaller ones in #2. Plus a center Sapphire in #2 would cost less so I could get a bigger one so would #2 be a larger ring design?

Or would #3 be best since the Trillions are so small the Sapphire would be even bigger than all other choices.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to be clear and specific! Thanks!

My opinion go with a diamond solitaire,Classic
Save the 3 stone ring for a 10th anniversary.
You can't go worng with a diamond.
IT WILL NEVER GO OUT OF STYLE!!!!
I am pretty sure you can get a nice 1 carat GIA diamond here ,mounted in aplain tiffany mountimng or more abntique mounting.But I'd definately recommend a diamond.
It is forever( unless you upgarde to alarger size later on) but truly will hold its value and its meaning.
Ilove colored stones and espoecially colored diamonds too..But based on my experience and tastes as I've aged I still vote diamond for engagement ring.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 273
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16878, In=5947
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-13-09 , 05:39 PM

Sapphires are gorgeous and add a splash of color to the ring along with being something different. I've had some brides that love the idea of being different and others that want the more traditional look for the engagement ring and consider sapphire more of a right hand ring.
That being said, we've made some gorgeous engagement rings with sapphires as accents and also as the center stone.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 05-13-09 at 05:48 PM.
Attached Images
sw ring.jpg JO ring 1.jpg pk top view.jpg 241 cushion sapphire ring 4.jpg diamond and sapphire ring 3.jpg SJ top view.jpg sapphire ritani ring top view.jpg Ritani sapphire and diamond ring.jpg

Old melissamac

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Wedding Ring

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+6  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 81
melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute melissamac has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-13-09 , 07:57 PM

here is one of my all time favorites by Diamond Brokers of Florida, it's beautiful, classic and very vintage looking. Can't go wrong with something like this.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...+cut+sap phire

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 106
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-20-09 , 12:56 PM

I personally like diamonds for engagement rings but, heck, if a sapphire was good enough for Princess Di it should be good enough for anybody!

Old NaomiJane

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Ring

My Karma
NaomiJane is on a distinguished road

hi..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-15-09 , 05:51 AM

sapphire is a gr8 choice for engagement rings adds a touch of color to the traditional one a center sapphire with diamond accents would look gr8 plus the price point will not be too high ...

Old JBougie

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Wedding Ring

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 1

My Karma
Power: 62
JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-27-09 , 12:37 AM

I think adding some color to a ring is a GREAT thing to do - it catches more glances, IMO

Jan - those are some GREAT examples of beautiful ways to use sapphires, I am drooling over here!

Old Shanell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Shanell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-26-09 , 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie
I think adding some color to a ring is a GREAT thing to do - it catches more glances, IMO

Jan - those are some GREAT examples of beautiful ways to use sapphires, I am drooling over here!

Agree with you this made me crazy too...

Old Moonstruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-27-09 , 03:23 PM

I chose a sapphire ring as my ER and am very happy with it! It is an Emerald cut with a halo of diamonds. You can see pictures here: http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...55&page=4&pp=25
Post #88 & Post #108 & #117 (with final wedding band combo)
Let us know how it all went!

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic rubies and soldiers by EdwardBristol
Up a Topic Oh no I need a Pink Diamond Ring are they Sooo expensive posted in DIAMONDS by gunny3000
Older:
Down a Topic Has anyone purchased tanzanite from etanzanite com by rubyrose
Down a Topic Looking for feedback on this ring pre owned but never worn posted in DIAMONDS by ftw23