Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ntpf

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice

I need information on this one-time regular's beautiful Sapphire Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-08-09 , 12:49 PM

Hi,

I've been researching Sapphire ER's for awhile now. Of all I have seen, either in jewelry stores or online, my favorite I saw posted here. I've continued looking for months and I still keep going back to this ring. I PM'd the original poster, briolette, but it appears she has left the forum.

It's too bad because I really would like the info for this ring. Does anyhow know? She originally posted this picture in 2006 here about 1/3 the way down the page.

I would like to know what size and cut/shape the stones are and what material was used for the band. About how much would this ring cost? Basic questions but I want to make sure I know exactly and not just make assumptions. I think it's spectacular. I really wish I could get in touch with her!

Thanks!

Attached Images
ntpf_sapphireset.jpg

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=255, In=1

Re: I need information on this one-time regular's beautiful Sapphire Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-08-09 , 03:35 PM

Hi! This should give you the answers. Hope it helps.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old ntpf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice ntpf is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-08-09 , 06:30 PM

Irish!--You've absolutely come to the rescue! How'd you find that?!?

I love that setting and she gives a ton of info! Trillions with an emerald cut as I expected. These past few months I've been learning and have come to really respect these precious stones. I didn't know the band was platinum, but I'm learning. I'm most excited to learn it's not as big as I thought--For some reason in that picture it looks HUGE to me! So it came as a surprise that it's only 1.25ct.

My girlfriend really like what she describes as an antique look. Would you feel this may be along those lines? As for the metal she says the same thing, not yellow gold and I suppose she means an even more silver colored look--patina I suppose. Believe it or not I like that darker look too (purists probably hate that). I know silver is too soft. I always supposed platinum was too brilliant white for her taste, so I thought white gold was the way to go. But after speaking with jewelers who say white gold fades yellowish I guess platinum is the way to go. But I do like the darker tarnish....!?!? Do you think that is unwise?

Is there any advice for emerald cuts that people can share? I know they're deeper and so carry more weight, which costs more. Should I avoid a shallower cut? In the picture I posted the sapphire looks so deep in color and cut, I love the way it looks so big. Maybe that's because it's a macro photo and closer to the lens. Should I go for a larger Sapphire?

Old ntpf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-08-09 , 06:39 PM

another note. I love the way in the picture I posted how the Sapphire trumps the diamonds, like it's pushing higher past them. It may just be the photo. But I like how it *appears* like the trillion edge disappears into the ring band/

The jewelers I've been to, and even in the picture on her hand in the link you posted, the trillion side diamonds form a point that distracts from the focus on the center sapphire.

Does that make sense?

I took some pictures at a jeweler the other day of many similar sapphire ERs. One even suggested I go to Tiffany's to see the different colors their sapphires come in (I was asking her some questions about colors, surprisingly I would get different responses from people). Tiffany's were gorgeous but you get much less for your money.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-08-09 , 07:12 PM

You're welcome ntpf.....it was maaaaagic
* Stone size? What size is her ring finger?
* I think I looked for this same style ring once on other manufacturers' sites and did find others who produce it, but I can't remember if they have it with the center stone raised. Here is the ring above from the side

* There are also designs with baguettes and/or half moon shapes.
* Platinum will wear to a patina over time, but it can always be repolished. Some people have their PLAT ring Rhodium plated to make them very white, but I wouldn't recommend it.

irish signature

Last edited by irish : 05-08-09 at 07:13 PM.
Old ntpf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-08-09 , 07:24 PM

that's right, I did hear jewelers talking about the Rhodium (in a good way implying all their rings were plated). Interesting that you wouldn't recommend it -- I guess if I don't want that brilliant white I wouldn't want it plated with Rhodium. Is it bad I wouldn't want it to be so shinny?

She is a very small woman, *almost* 5'. Done all my research expect finding her ring size.... It's small for sure. I'm flexible with price but around $5K, any savings or going over will be from honeymoon fund.

I think I like the trillions the best over baguettes or half moons. I feel they give the most for their size (may be wrong though). From what I've read trillions are like brilliants in they really reflect light. If I can't afford a three-stone, a trillion may be a good choice.

I saw these amazing three stones at Tiffany's with a diamond center and Sapphire side stones, but assuming it was leagues out of my price range I didn't even bother asking. But after all the rings I've seen and my decision to go with a Sapphire and choosing the style in the picture posted, those Tiffany 3-stones would be the only rivals. They were incredible!

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-08-09 , 07:49 PM

You might want to check out the network jewelers here on DiamondRing as they all work with diamonds & gemstones and have created some drop dead sapphire rings for members over the years.

Editing to say that if your gf is small a 1.25ct center might actually be the perfect size.

irish signature

Last edited by irish : 05-08-09 at 07:53 PM.
Old ntpf

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-08-09 , 08:12 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback and advice!

If anyone else has something to share please feel free!

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Chrome diopside by diamond4her
Up a Topic Tree of Life Ring posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by Alexgem7777
Older:
Down a Topic Help with my engagement ring by southern5footer
Down a Topic Tension Ring Material posted in JEWELRY by g1lbert