Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old TRex

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-12-01 , 03:45 PM

Just was wondering what is the biggest diamond (or gemstone for that matter) you have seen in person?

Here are my two winners: First, my husband's boss's wife has a 3ct marquise in a setting that has 3 rows of invisible set princess diamonds. It is absolutely huge! And yes, the marquise looks like a very well cut diamond.

Second, one of my classmates has a 3ct princess diamond turned 90 degrees in a pave setting that has 2ct of diamonds. Her total ring weight is about 5ct in diamonds (she told everyone -- that's how I know!) And yes, it is real!

I don't think I could carry off a 3ct diamond! With my luck I would poke my eye out!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Webz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
Webz is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=3024, In=352
Referrals: 1

hehe
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-12-01 , 04:14 PM

How about a 25 carat Emerald cut G VVS1.

You could skim this thing on the water (if you were completely insane of course)

Couldn't possibly wear it anywhere though...could you?

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 201
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-12-01 , 04:15 PM

Forgive my specific gravity, but do you mean at the *end user* IOW wearer level? Not in a store, or a nauseum. I've been to the NY Nauseum of Natural History (before Murph the Surf stole the good stuff). I think they had the Star of India, and some big Kahuna fist sized gems. I liked that place. Then there's the Smithsonian....

Could you clarificate your quesiton?

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-12-01 , 04:21 PM

Yeah, Smithsonian, including the Hope diamond, and some big old stones at the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History.

But on a person's finger? Probably about 3 carats.

Shelby

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-12-01 , 04:24 PM

Rodentman: You're right, I should have been more specific. I meant "what's the biggest diamond you've seen someone wearing?"

Didn't Celine Dion's husbnad have a copy of the "heart of the ocean" monster made for her? How big was that rock?

Webz: Did you actually sell that emerald to someone?!?!?! You sure it wasn't my mother in law?

Old kbank

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
kbank is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=38, In=0

4cts., and a story...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-12-01 , 04:38 PM

When my husband and I went to pick up our wedding pictures from the photographers, another couple was in their studio "interviewing" them. I couldn't help but notice the rock on her hand. I had gotten to know the photographer's wife quite well and asked her who the hell the guy is this girl was marrying. The girl had volunteered size information about it to my photographer and his wife. Apparently the center stone was a 4ct. princess cut with trillions on each side. I'm sure that little baby was at least 6 CTW.

Funny thing is, this couple ended up having their wedding at the same country club that I had my reception, and her daddy didn't pay the bill and was being sued by the club. It was even in the paper! Maybe she had to sell that honker of a ring to pay for the wedding!

After all that, I can now say that I have seen a 4ct diamond in person.

Old Carpathia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Carpathia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-12-01 , 05:03 PM

Our jeweler was showing us examples of poor quality diamonds and pulled out a really ugly 5ct and really beautiful 5ct for comparison. I guess one of his customers was trading in the ugly 5ct for the beautiful 5ct and they were having it put on a ring. That diamond was HUGE!! I tried hard to imagine that rock set on a ring, but I just couldn't seem to visualize it without it looking ridiculous The jeweler said the setting was "nothing special" but wouldn't go into further details.

Carpathia

Old echip

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
echip is on a distinguished road

I saw 500 carat, does that count? hehe
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-12-01 , 05:22 PM

I went to London 3 years ago and saw 2 diamonds from the Royal family in UK.

I believe they were the largest diamonds in the world. I could be wrong.

Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Adamas2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-12-01 , 05:36 PM

One of my jewelers customers had on an eight carat pear shape. It was the most beautiful diamond I've ever laid my eyes on. The cut must have been top of the line. I never thought I would like a larger diamond until the day I saw it on that lady. It really did work on her. It truely matched her style. I don't think it would have worked on everyone. It's all about taste and style......

Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dazzled is on a distinguished road

On the hand of an elderly woman
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-12-01 , 06:46 PM

A Jewish matron whose husband was a sort of gangster (not gangsta) in Philadelphia back in the 60's. She had a 17 carat pear. I was quite young, but amazed at the dazzler and commented. It may have been the event in my youth that fated me to become "DAZZLED"

dazzled signature
Astrologer, rock-hound, estate jewelry, connoisseur of beauty
Old DiamondExpert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 89
DiamondExpert is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1831, In=2

How about
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-12-01 , 07:25 PM

620+cts. of pure unadulterated quartz (below)!

From my site...

For diamonds, I once louped a 20ct., round brilliant, F, VS1, in a solitare setting!!...looked like the head light on a locamotive!

DiamondExpert signature
Gary
Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
Johnny Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-12-01 , 08:36 PM

You jewelers have all the fun.

I get to see (and handle if I wish) a 4ct E VS stone on a fairly regular basis... it's my moms. Biggest I've seen and handled is a 15ct D IF. Remember that one Wink?

Old CrystalH

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CrystalH is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 10-12-01 , 08:39 PM

[Edited by crystalh on 10-12-01 at 08:40 PM]

Old Lizzy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
Lizzy is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=292, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 10-12-01 , 09:37 PM

I was at a neighbor girl's 5th birthday party, and one of the guests (probably in her early 40s) gasped when she saw my ring. She said it was the largest one she had seen in person. She was thrilled when I let her try it on!

Needless to say, I do not live in a large town and people here are very conservative. My ring is a marquise, 15.28 x 6.19 - a little too long I know, with my wedding bands it comes to the bottom of my second knuckle.

As to the largest I've seen is the Hope Diamond. The largest I've seen on someone I know is a 4 ct. my great-aunt owns. She is not a rich woman - her mother had invested in several large diamonds early in her life, and passed them on to her daughters. Although my great-aunt lives on her social security income she says she will never sell the diamond. She wears it every day.

Old babblingal

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
babblingal is on a distinguished road

A-Team Jewelry
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 10-12-01 , 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Webz
How about a 25 carat Emerald cut G VVS1.

Couldn't possibly wear it anywhere though...could you?

I think Mr. T probably could! "I pity the fool who can't find a chain for this stone".

[Edited by babblingal on 10-12-01 at 10:06 PM]

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 10-12-01 , 10:17 PM

The largest rock I ever saw was while working as a cashier in King's Grocery store in Hillsdale, NJ (Bergen County)...a 5.20 carat heart flanked by 1 carat each baguettes. It was so large it looked fake.

Old susanpdavis

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
susanpdavis is on a distinguished road

largest diamond you have ever seen on someones hand
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 10-13-01 , 10:03 PM

What a fun question.
Had a neighbor friend who was a jeweler and she had a 7.5 brilliant cut her hubby had purchased in Belgium for their 12th anniversary. She never took it off and it was breathtaking. Had 1 carat baugette on either side. Was in Texas two years ago in Dillard's dept. store and a young Mom was wearing an 8 carat oval, and it was really something. The most striking ring I ever saw was in Nieman-Marcus in the powdwer room. A blonde was fixing her hair and was wearing an exquisite aqua linen suit with a ivory silk blouse and aqua leather pumps. On her right had was a huge, as in about 10 carats, oval aqua stone surrounded by small diamonds. It was so Texas. I just stared. susanpdavis

Old RoughCut

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
RoughCut is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 10-14-01 , 05:39 AM

Largest I have seen are the huge monster stones in Museums and London. Largest I have held and played around with was a 6.02 carat G SI2 Round Brilliant set in a 14kt band (yeah suprised me) with about 60pts of accent stones in a very thin ring.

Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
erin is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 10-14-01 , 09:54 AM

Just last week, my husband and I were eating lunch at a hole in the wall restaurant, and I noticed this bright flash of light. When I looked over, I saw this lady in her 40's, eating by herself, wearing ordinary shorts and a t-shirt. But she had this RB solitaire on that was at least 6-7 carats, with a baguette on either side. Gravity kept pulling it down (so I had to keep tilting my head to stare at it ), but it was the biggest and prettiest diamond I had ever seen anyone actually wearing. Anyway, I had to chuckle when the last thing she did before getting up to leave was to check her pet rock and polish it up a little with her napkin. Guess she's got that *diamond cleaning syndrome* too!

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
Johnny Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 10-15-01 , 03:28 AM

Lucky you to be able to see its new form.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=240, In=1

It's on my mother-in-law
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 10-15-01 , 02:26 PM

I had completely forgotten about her and her ring while reading this thread. Tells you something about our relationship. Anyway she has a 9 carat pear. It's flanked by stones but I can't recall the cut or carat weight. And she wears a diamond eternity band with it.

It is ostentatious and not a very good stone, but she only cares that it's huge. When we first met,(3 days before our wedding (also telling)), she commented to someone that my engagement ring was "so puny". I also have a pear but mine is only a mere 1.9ct.

This is a great example to show the difference of preference by buyers: Size vs. quality. I prefer quality. I enjoy the attention it gets because it is a beautiful stone not because it's SO HUGE you can't help but notice it!!!!

I shall be quiet now because this thread is about big stones, not "Having big stones". haha. another thread.

irish

Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dazzled is on a distinguished road

I hate to spoil the party...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 10-16-01 , 06:27 PM

But maybe many of these posts were sightings of fake diamonds....

after all, one can peruse DT a short while and realize not everyone is buying the real deal. who's to know?

dazzled signature
Astrologer, rock-hound, estate jewelry, connoisseur of beauty
Old peterverte

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
peterverte is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 10-16-01 , 06:42 PM

i had a 60.00ct cushion-cut in about
L/M-color/loop clean, come into my office one day...it was plopped into my hand for effect...so large you loose all appreciation for it as a diamond...

Old atalantah

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 84
atalantah is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 10-16-01 , 09:12 PM

I wasn't going to post because the largest diamond I had ever seen was the Hope Diamond that was already mentioned.

However, I did see an extremely large and icky cut marquise this weekend. It had to be around 4 carats and looked fake because it was cut so poorly. (I know it wasn't fake because the lady is extremely wealthy.)

Irish,

I didn't think 9 carats in one diamond would fit on one finger! I do love the pear shape and would love to see your ring if you have any pictures of it.

atalantah signature
AtAlantah
Old Fliz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Fliz is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 10-16-01 , 10:18 PM

Mine's pretty lame...my mom's diamond is the biggest one I've ever seen. It's a 2.5 carat round that my dad bought her when she went into remission after having breast cancer. It's ironic now because we call it her "cancer-free" diamond and it's completely riddled with carbon deposits.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Lanac com Appoints E commerce Visionary Eli Katz as New Chief Executive Officer by GilbertZ
Up a Topic redoing a wedding set posted in JEWELRY by kaylasmom
Older:
Down a Topic Cleaning rough diamonds by psychicredhead
Down a Topic Cleaning rough diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by psychicredhead