Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old emil

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
emil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-26-01 , 09:58 PM

I am looking everywhere online for smaller diamonds that are good performers on the brilliancescope, but not finding much out there. Mostly the good ones are .50 and up. I have seen a few possibilities in the .25 - .50 range, but the pickings are slim. My future fiancÚ and I are pretty broke at the moment, so I am trying to locate something in the .10-.25 range, but don't want to waste any money on dull little chips. It seems that no one bothers to cut smaller stones really well, and I can see that it is probably not worth their time to do so, but still I am hopeful of finding a tiny beauty that will sparkle with the best of them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17715, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-26-01 , 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emachell
I am looking everywhere online for smaller diamonds that are good performers on the brilliancescope, but not finding much out there. Mostly the good ones are .50 and up. I have seen a few possibilities in the .25 - .50 range, but the pickings are slim. My future fiancÚ and I are pretty broke at the moment, so I am trying to locate something in the .10-.25 range, but don't want to waste any money on dull little chips. It seems that no one bothers to cut smaller stones really well, and I can see that it is probably not worth their time to do so, but still I am hopeful of finding a tiny beauty that will sparkle with the best of them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Emachel,
I agree with you I rather a smaller diamond but a very fine one, I have seen unbranded H&A diamonds as small as 0.16ct and very good color.
Sibelius commented me that in Finland a 0.50ct diamond is a big diamond in an engagement ring and this is also true in Mexico and many other countries, you can have a beautiful diamond in a smaller size, the important is the qualilty and not the size as you can see some posted in Ebay that are big garbage diamonds.
I rather quality over size.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Adamas2 is on a distinguished road

Combination rules!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-26-01 , 11:53 PM

What's wrong with a combination of cut,color,clarity in a diamond. You don't have to have the perfect cut for the diamond to be beautiful. Mine is not considered perfect by the HCA test,yet it get's more attention than anything I've ever owned. Please don't get so hung up on the numbers. Look at the whole picture. I still believe it's a combination of all these qualities. This is just a consumers point of view.... :-)

Old Gemmar

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
Gemmar is on a distinguished road

AGS Statistics
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-27-01 , 12:10 AM

According to the American Gem Society, the national average for a center stone (primary stone) in an engagement ring in the U.S. Is (are you ready for this DT regulars)???????????????? ?? 0.18ct....Thanks largely in part to Walmart, and Service Merchandise, I'm not joking, AGS keeps really good statistics. Don't feel bad about seeking out a well cut, smaller stone, they are out there, they are available, and it is the emotion that the diamond represents, which is the most important thing.

Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

.18!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-27-01 , 12:38 AM

I don't think it would matter what the cut quality of that size would be. I don't understand how your eyes could even judge that size. Sorry,just my opinion.....

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Re: .18!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-27-01 , 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adamas2
I don't think it would matter what the cut quality of that size would be. I don't understand how your eyes could even judge that size. Sorry,just my opinion.....

And you are *entitled*!!!!

I have to tell you that a .18 stone is 18 times larger than each of the two stones in *my* engagement ring, though!

(They shrank over time.)

AGBF

Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

AGBF
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-27-01 , 12:59 AM

Believe me I'm not criticizing that size. My first engagement ring wasn't much larger. :-) I'm just saying I wouldn't be overly worried about having the perfect cut with that size. :-)

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Re: .18!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-27-01 , 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adamas2

Actually, I think it's possible. I have a few diamond rings from Tiffany and Co. that have small diamonds pave'd along the shoulders. I heard that Tiffany's diamonds, even the tiniest accent ones, are well-cut.

With my naked eye, I can tell this is true, as the accent diamonds sparkle and throw out color as much as the bigger center stone. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. It's quite amazing. The tiny accent diamonds hold their own. In spite of their relative small size, they don't take a back seat to the center stone. Because the accent diamonds are pave'd along the ring's shoulders, they make the shoulders shimmery and firey.

Even though I can't see the facets in the accent diamonds, I can see how sparkling and colorful they are, which leads me to believe they're well-cut.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 262
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8850, In=2
Referrals: 2

Knock and the door will be answered
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-27-01 , 01:23 AM

We have some smaller ideals available. 1/4`s-1/3rd`s Also have a B-Scope in house.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 09-27-01 , 01:39 AM

I think that it IS worth the effort to locate a quality cut in the smaller sizes. A good cut will make the diamond look bigger because it will return more light to the eye and not leak all over the place. I really like the look of small diamonds when they're well done. I know you can even get small Eightstars (although the brand name kind of prices you out of the small diamond category, likely ).

Picking a vendor and working with them to locate a nice diamond is probably your best bet. I would definitely see what kind of b-scope results Brad gets from his small diamonds. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Shelby

Old erical

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
erical is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-27-01 , 09:35 AM

I have to say, geography seems to have a lot to do with what one considers "average" in diamond size! Being from the midwest (Madison, WI), I'm not all that surprised that .18 ct. is the national average. Most of my friends, who are of similar age and financial status, wear diamonds that are between .25 and .50 or so. Granted, engagement diamond sizes seem to be going up, but I still rarely see diamonds larger than a carat around here. I guess many DT regulars are from the coasts, where the average size is much bigger.

-Erica

Old DiaGrrl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
DiaGrrl is on a distinguished road

Average here is 1-2 Carats
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-27-01 , 09:46 AM

From my observations here in DC, one carat seems to be the "average" and is considered the lower end of "acceptable" range by many. Most people I know who got engaged in the last few years had stones between 1-2 Ct. This is among young professionals who would be considered "middle class" for all practical purposes, not the "Internet Millionaire" group that we saw crop up here in the last few years. My cousin in NYC got a 2 Ct and commented that most of her friends had bigger diamonds. I think a lot of it is people trying to "keep up with the neighbors."

Old Adamas2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

My reason...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-27-01 , 10:13 AM

I wasn't trying to keep up with anyone. I never had the desire for a larger stone until I laid my eyes upon one.Then I was hooked for life. Even my husband that has no interest in diamonds was amazed at the beauty. I would never put a luxury item before family,friends or lifes essentials. My husband has worked very hard for 25yrs. Why not enjoy the benefit of that hard work....Just my opinion...:-)

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dd is on a distinguished road

regional preferences
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-27-01 , 11:01 AM

I too notice that average stone size varies a lot across the country. My "low to average" one carat in Boston gets much more attention when I travel to other places.

Old jillibean

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
jillibean is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-27-01 , 11:35 AM

I agree that a lot depends on where you live. I live in suburban Atlanta, and most of the upper-middle-class women I know (most of whom are in their thirties) have stones that look to me between .5 and 1.0 ct. Recently I have noticed a couple of older women (in their 50s) who have stones that look like 2 - 3 ct. Where I live is a relatively affluent area, and you still don't see a lot of younger women here with more than 1 ct, so the .18 national average doesn't surprise me.

I don't think anyone is insinuating that anyone on DT is trying to keep up with the Joneses! But if there are areas of the country where young men in their 20's are feeling pressure to buy 2 ct rocks that they really can't afford, just because that's what "everyone else has" -- I'm glad I don't live there (or maybe I should say I wish I did live there, hehehe!). Just kiddin'.

As for the cut question, I agree with those who say it makes a big difference even in a small stone. The .16 ct side stones on my 3-stone oval ring (.85 center) sparkle like mad. They are not huge stones, but you can definitely see them -- they are much bigger than something that you would find in a typical channel-set anniversary ring, for example. I would take a well-cut .18 over a dull, poorly cut .33 (for example), any day.

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 09-27-01 , 11:37 AM

The smaller size doesn't surprise me, though *that* small of a size does a bit. I guess those of us in metropolitan areas not only expect larger sizes, but those in my circle get married later so they can afford those bigger rocks.

I've seen some ugly smaller diamonds, especially in eternity rings, so I don't underestimate how important a nice quality is in any size!

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

... in search of small but well cut
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 09-27-01 , 11:39 AM

Thank you all for your comments.

I was hoping someone could tell me of a jeweler online who has diamonds under .25 that score high marks on the brilliancescope. I am still wondering if such a thing exists.

I checked out the Van Graff imitation diamonds, and they seem like a possible alternative. I never thought I would want to wear anything fake, but from what I've read these are good performers. I may have to buy one just to amuse myself.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 09-27-01 , 11:59 AM

http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.co m

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 09-27-01 , 12:03 PM

Emachell: Have you considered getting a gemstone such as a sapphire or a ruby for an engagement ring? If you are concerned about getting a stone that is a nice size, in general a sapphire will cost you less than a diamond of equal size. That is what one of my friends did -- her and her fiance are both grad students, so she got a beautiful oval sapphire center stone and 2 trillion diamonds on the side for a fraction of the cost of what it would cost if a diamond were the center stone.

Don't worry, not everyone here sports a "huge" rock. My diamond is 3/8ct and is pretty well cut although not ideal. It does sparkle a lot and most people think it is bigger than it is.

Check out Jan and Brad at http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.co m. They are regulars on this board (I see Brad posted a response earlier) and get rave reviews from others here.

Good luck!

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 09-27-01 , 12:05 PM

I`ll give Garry H. five bucks if he can guess the proportions of this stone

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 09-27-01 , 12:28 PM

Brad -- That pup is definitely the kind of performer I'm looking for -- very impressive! I'd love to see what the inclusions look like, and get a price from you. Please email me. Thanks for posting the brilliancescope image. I was just checking out your site, and didn't see that one listed. This is my fault because I confess I am a bit of a snob. I do a lot of searches but generally only look in the D-E, IF-VVS2 range. I only recently convinced myself to come down to include F and VS2. (I'll bet Gary CAN guess the proportions, and probably doesn't need your fiver. : )

T-Rex -- I am not concerned with getting a large stone, I am concerned with getting a really sparkly stone! Thanks for your suggestion, but color is out of the question for me. I don't even wear clothes with color! And besides I am completely obsessed with diamonds.

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 09-27-01 , 12:37 PM

Emachell: I think all of us here are obsessed with "something sparkly" I am like you -- I want my engagement ring to be just diamonds, even though I really like sapphires. I am going to have my stone reset in a pendant and have a sapphire put in the mounting. My husband saw a larger stone that was "in his price range" but had a poor cut and clarity. I turned it down. Some of my friends said I was nuts (they are just interested in size, and my husband was surprised as well) but I would MUCH rather have a smaller awesome cut stone than a big one that looked crappy.

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 09-27-01 , 12:46 PM

"I would MUCH rather have a smaller awesome cut stone than a big one that looked crappy."

Cheers to you for your good judgment and taste!!! I second that!

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 202
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 09-27-01 , 12:47 PM

I 100% agree that a large poorly performing diamond is inferior to a smaller one with top quality cut and thus light return. If the cut is proper, the diamond will look larger because of the superior light performance edge to edge. Also, color is less of an issue since a properly cut stone will "face up" better than its color (which is judged by looking through it from the side). Small inclusions that are not eye visible seldom detract from the light performance. I've seen some large "brown junk" in stores and I for one am not impressed.

The Rodentman

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 96
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 09-27-01 , 02:13 PM

I'm very surprised by the national average size of the center stone. I lived in Los Angeles most of my life. Most people I know in the middle class have good-size solitaires, or they have no solitaire at all, and wear some sort of band.

It seems to me the solitaires are getting bigger. Most girls I know are receiving 1.5 carat solitaires minimum. The princess cut is very popular.

My 1 carat diamond is considered on the small side.

One girl I know received a solitaire that was under a 1 carat. It was probably about 0.5 carat, or so. She was very insecure about it, and made excuses about it's size. I wish she didn't do that. I wish she was happy with what she had.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic GIA CERT VS INDEPEN APPRAISER by Help_Wanted
Up a Topic GIA CERT VS INDEPEN APPRAISER posted in DIAMONDS by Help_Wanted
Older:
Down a Topic is there a recommended appraiser within a few hours of me by Llkdfe
Down a Topic is there a recommended appraiser within a few hours of me posted in DIAMONDS by Llkdfe