Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old myvideotalk

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
myvideotalk is on a distinguished road

Prices cuprian elbaite?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-05-06 , 02:49 AM

Hello all, I have a 3.87 Trillion cut Purple cuprian elbaite. I paid 400.00per ct. They say this stuff is selling for 16,000.00-36,000.00 per ct. What is everyones perspective on this?

Chris Carpenter

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=241, In=1

Re: prices cuprian elbaite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-05-06 , 02:44 PM

myvideotalk,
paraiba tourmaline is pretty distinct in it's color and as far as I know purple isn't it. But I'm no expert, so I'm really curious. Does your stone have a grading report?

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old myvideotalk

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-05-06 , 02:53 PM

Yes the stone comes with a cert. I have not recieved it yet i just bought it. Purple is the rarest of the cuprian elbaite family. I bought it on DSN TV. They purchased 90% of all the available matierial.

Chris

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2529, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-05-06 , 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvideotalk
They say this stuff is selling for 16,000.00-36,000.00 per ct. What is everyones perspective on this?

Chris,
My perspective is that it's worth about $400 per carat. When anyone says that a gem is worth something they're either buying, selling or gabbing. Who says it's worth $16,000 per carat ? Probably the folks who sold it to you I'd guess. If it's worth so much, then why on earth would they sell it for so little ? Nah, I think that they made out pretty well to get $400 per carat for it. Maybe if they talk it up enough it'll eventually get to $16K, but it'll be a while. The stones that are so valuable are the ones that are copper bearing and look like frozen Windex. I also think that the only ones that have sold for those huge prices are the very best of the best, in both size, color and clarity.

Those purple tourmalines do look attractive though. Maybe you could post a picture when you receive it ?

Michael_E signature
Old myvideotalk

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-05-06 , 08:52 PM

I will post a picture when it comes in. The GIA has said that all cuprian elbaite is now considered POD. I talked to a friend of my dads who is a wholeseller of fine gems. He said that the stone I purchased wholesellers are buying for 20,000.00 per ct. So not sure what is true or not guess time will tell.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2529, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-05-06 , 09:13 PM

My view is that money is nothing but talk until you have it in your hand. If your Dad's friend thinks that it's worth that, make him a real deal at $16K per carat and see what he does then. If he buy's it....then he's right, if not, well then it's worth less than that...at least to him.

Buying and selling gems can be a very tough business and sometimes you get lucky, but usually there's been at least a hundred other people that have passed over what you are considering, so luck is not nearly as important as skill at knowing your market or creativity at changing what you've got into something more desirable. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing pictures of your treasure !

Michael_E signature
Old myvideotalk

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-05-06 , 11:11 PM

boy Did I say Pod. I Have POD on the Brain. I meant Paraíba Tourmaline.

Yah I know IT s all talk till you sell it i know.

Old Precisiongem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
Precisiongem is on a distinguished road

value
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-12-06 , 12:26 PM

I always chuckle when watching the gem shopping channels, and they tell you some stone is worth $10,000 but they will sell it to you for $500. And then go what a great deal...and that you could sell it to your jeweler for a huge profit. Well if the stone is really worth $10,000 then why don't they sell it for that?
One thing I have learned in this business is that NO ONE is in the business to give anything away.

Old dallasgem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dallasgem is on a distinguished road

Re: Prices cuprian elbaite?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-28-07 , 08:06 PM

Quote:
Hello all, I have a 3.87 Trillion cut Purple cuprian elbaite. I paid 400.00per ct. They say this stuff is selling for 16,000.00-36,000.00 per ct. What is everyones perspective on this?

Chris Carpenter

Chris: Check out this.True Paraíba copper-bearing tourmaline is extremely rare, and as such, is very expensive ($15,000 to $40,000+ per carat) when compared to other varieties. The intense blue color, referred to as "neon," "windex," or "swimming-pool blue," is the result of significant amounts of copper which is not normally present in tourmaline. Secondary coloring agents found in Cuprian elbaite are ferrous iron ( Fe2+), manganese (Mn), gallium (Ga), bismuth (Bi), calcium (Ca), and zinc (Zn). There was also a purplish variety of Paraiba that is now virtually non-existant. Send to GIA for that info and ask for a replacement price. Good Luck, Gemgirl

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Re: Prices cuprian elbaite?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-28-07 , 10:09 PM

You got (may-be copper bearing) purple tourmaline probably from Mozambique, which when heated sometimes goes neon blue/green.

It sells for 400 all right if clean and well colored.

Now, here is the bad-karma plan:
You heat it (with only 25% chance that it goes well), then you tell nobody and smuggle it into Brazil. There you sell it as Paraiba with 1000% profit.

If that buyer finds out it is heated Mozambique stuff and he is a real Brazilian gemtrader, you are probably executed before you can leave the country.

There are quite a few Brazilians playing that game, flying back and forth between Bangkok and Rio. But as a gringo it is a bad idea.

Old Iceprincess754

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Iceprincess754 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-15-10 , 01:18 PM

Quote:
Yes the stone comes with a cert. I have not recieved it yet i just bought it. Purple is the rarest of the cuprian elbaite family. I bought it on DSN TV. They purchased 90% of all the available matierial.

Chris

Before I bought anything from DSN, I'd read their reviews. I got ripped off by them...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Buyer Beware.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Gemstones for engagement ring by GilbertZ
Up a Topic 4 or 6 prong for a 1 88 carat European cut diamond posted in JEWELRY by shandowa
Older:
Down a Topic Diamantine by looker2008
Down a Topic Help Anyone ever heard of Damiani jewelry posted in JEWELRY by LVlove