Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

But davidt, I Did No Such Thing!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#126 @ 08-08-01 , 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidt
"I'd *LOVE* to see you try to take *THAT* one to court!! " AGBF
-------------
i thank you for your support. but i'm not sure i want you to virtually DARE someone to sue me!

I didn't *dare* rockdoc to sue you. I merely shared a *fantasy* with this group! Surely you must know that there is a large leap between wishing to do something and doing it. For instance, I might *wish* (like Jimmy Carter) to have sex with someone other than my spouse. The wish is not the act, however. "If wishes were horses, then beggars should ride," and all that

I merely shared my *desire* to see such a scene enacted

AGBF, pedant

Edited to change a period into a comma.

[Edited by A Girl's Best Friend on 08-08-01 at 09:12 PM]

Old davidt

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
davidt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#127 @ 08-08-01 , 09:59 PM

if someone is acting as an agent in a sale, this person has an interest in the sale being completed.
it is reasonable to assume that a vendor may not send diamonds to an agent that causes sales to be lost. this might not occur, but it very well might. this might not influence the agent, but it very well might. it will not be evident WHY the sales are completed, but it will be reasonable to suspect that they may have been completed to keep business coming from the vendor.

Consumers: use your credit card to pay for the diamond pending an independent confirmation of the diamond's pertinent features. have this done by an appraiser who does not know which vendor the diamond comes from.

this is a safe, tried and true procedure, that has the least likely chance that the appraisal will be influenced by the vendor.

the appraiser having a relationship with the vendor, and knowing that the diamond comes from this vendor, obviously creates the greatest potential for the results being influenced by the vendor/appraiser relationship.

$100 or so being paid by the consumer will not even remotely compete with the value of the ongoing appraiser/vendor relationship.

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17694, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#128 @ 08-10-01 , 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by A Girl's Best Friend
I merely shared my *desire* to see such a scene enacted

AGBF, pedant

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#129 @ 08-10-01 , 10:39 PM

But davidt, I Did No Such Thing!!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by davidt
"I'd *LOVE* to see you try
-----------------------

even though you don't actually use the word dare, saying "i'd love to see you try" qualifies as a dare.

Old Marvin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
Marvin is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=976, In=1

DavidT,you could stand on your head
Quote this post and reply to it Post#130 @ 08-11-01 , 12:33 AM

Roc, doesn't know what you are talking about, he appears to be dense.

You have and I have ,"except you said it better",that he is not an independet appraisaer for the people on his list.

If he wants to sue someone ,sue me .I got penty of time and money.I will even give him my attorneys name.It's such a conflict of interest,this guy could probally get more business if he just played by the rules.He brags about all his equipment ,half of it is not necessary to do an apprasial.I'm sure Dave Atlas doesn;t have all the equipment and does a fine job.

You beat a dead horse ,as this mans brain is clogged.Why waste your time .

Most have read his answers ,many have agreed,I'd be ashamed if I developed his reputation,however he must know what he thinks he's doing is up and up.It's the rest of the industry ,I believe that know the difference.

I love when he wants to sue a consumer.Give me a break,that shows class.
Would you deal with someone that would sue you if you disagreed or questioned his motives.

marvin

Marvin signature
Selling to the trade only
Yo!,Got Diamond Studs and Mellee
Type to get Wholesale price list(Trade Only)

Looking to buy Native American Items.Baskets, rugs,Old pawn jewerly,Ivory,artifacts

Old pbnj2000

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
pbnj2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#131 @ 08-11-01 , 04:43 AM

catfish: was your initial attack on page 1 really necessary? It seems to me that Rockdoc was simply being helpful by answering a consumer's valid and important question and not hyping or shilling for his own services. It's disconcerting to see that your ill chosen remark, whatever the motive, has embroiled so many people that should be colleagues into an attack on someone based on opinion and things that *seem* unscrupulous. There is no factual evidence that anybody here did anything wrong. If a consumer chooses to get an extremely thorough examination of something they may have spent an immense amount of time and money on, then that is their choice. If appraisers choose to list companies with whom consumers will be able to get that thorough investigation without having to go through a great deal of trouble, then that is also his choice and certainly doesn't seem to be inherently unscrupulous. It is possible that it can be interpreted both as a service or possibly as suspicious. In my humble opinion, it's quite petty to make statements suggesting that it is the latter without any factual evidence. It seems like there is bias evident in the some of the remarks that are being made and not too many people are taking the time to see it both ways. I am sincerely hoping that consumers that visit this board for information and possibly to find people to work with are not turned off the remarks being made by some here. I hope that competition is not so tight that such attacks on each other is necessary.
Just to clarify, so that I am not also accused of bias;I never worked with Rockdoc. Admittedly, I knew little about him until this thread. Suffice it to say, that I did purchase a SuperbCert. But I was never given any suggestion or influence to use any specific appraiser by either the vendor(Jonathan) nor by SuperbCert when I wrote them to thank them for creating such a beautiful diamond. The setting was purchased locally through another vendor. In the end, I consulted the American Society of Appraisers web page to find an appraiser near me in South Denver, which happened coincidentally to be Julie Nash of AntonNash(Arthurman's partner in crime). I admit I received quite a thorough appraisal from Jonathan, but as a consumer I value having someone who was not involved in the sale giving an educated appraisal. It was invaluable to have all of my questions answered and to be able to get reassurance that my diamond and the setting matched all of my expectations. I also want reassurance that the insurance company will have enough information that, in the event of the horrible ever happening, they will not simply go by the 4 c's and one page of info. You stick with that. I'll choose to spend that tiny extra for my peace of mind. Which I can assure is worth every penny.

Old pbnj2000

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
pbnj2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#132 @ 08-11-01 , 04:46 AM

By the way, just to satiate my curiosity, are those of you that are in the industry more concerned about the rest of the industry rather than the consumer? I, as a consumer, am hoping that is not the case.

Old dogbert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 85
dogbert is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#133 @ 08-11-01 , 08:17 AM

Marvin wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure Dave Atlas doesn't have all the equipment and does a fine job.
I think Dave has most of the equipment except the bscope, and will provide additional details with an evaluation if requested, e.g. Sarin manufacturer's and OGI top-down reports, polariscope results, etc. And yes, he did a fine job for us.

Old Marvin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
Marvin is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=976, In=1

Independent appraiser
Quote this post and reply to it Post#134 @ 08-11-01 , 02:19 PM

You answered your question,

I consulted the American Society of Appraisers web page to find an appraiser near me in South Denver, which happened coincidentally to be Julie Nash of AntonNash(Arthurman's partner in crime). I admit I received quite a thorough appraisal from Jonathan, but as a consumer I value having someone who was not involved in the sale giving an educated appraisal. It was invaluable to have all of my questions answered and to be able to get reassurance that my diamond and the setting matched all of my expectations.

That was a true unbias approach.

Someone asked are we dealers interested in the consumer,YOU bet ,that's what this post is about.Protecting cunsumers from ,Bias, from having someone being referred to appraise your item ,that that has a hands, on conflict of interst,situation.

You should thank people like Davidt,for making the fuss he does.He's telling you what anyone that "I KNOW OF IN THE BUSINESS"would tell you .Call that Association and ask them about appraiser ethic's.

Marvin

Marvin signature
Selling to the trade only
Yo!,Got Diamond Studs and Mellee
Type to get Wholesale price list(Trade Only)

Looking to buy Native American Items.Baskets, rugs,Old pawn jewerly,Ivory,artifacts

Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#135 @ 08-11-01 , 04:26 PM

"By the way, just to satiate my curiosity, are those of you that are in the industry more concerned about the rest of the industry rather than the consumer? I, as a consumer, am hoping that is not the case. " pbnj
--------
i can only speak for myself.

simply put, my interests are the same as the consumers.

I AM a consumer, AND i make my living by providing what the consumer wants and by addressing their concerns.

yes, i am in the industry, but of course i am also as much of a consumer as people who are not in the industry.
so, as a consumer myself, i am concerned for consumers, and have the same understanding of consumer concerns.

and, as a business person, i depend on my ability to be concerned for the consumer.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16819, In=5945
Referrals: 24

For the Consumer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#136 @ 08-11-01 , 06:09 PM

We too are for the consumer. Free trade and fair business ultimately benifits the consumer. We recently canned a diamond supplier early this year who sent us a price fixing contract which we refused to sign.
Fixing prices is not in the consumers best interest.
On the other subject which is independent appraisers, I'm now being unfairly listed on a website for no reason other than refusing to be a part of the *good old boys network*. This method of operation clearly has no benefit to the consumer.

Jan

[Edited by Jan on 08-11-01 at 06:14 PM]

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#137 @ 08-11-01 , 06:24 PM

actually, i'd be proud to be red-listed on the site. and i expect it would make some consumers want to know why i was red-listed and would contact me about it.
then i could show my concern for the consumer by providing an eye-opening answer.

and the rotten tactic makes it obvious what the whole list is about.

all in all, the real damage is done to the operator of the site.

but of course i can understand how offensive it is to Jan. it really is a very low tactic

if it were me, and i wanted it removed, you can bet it would be removed very quickly!

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16819, In=5945
Referrals: 24

The Color Purple
Quote this post and reply to it Post#138 @ 08-12-01 , 05:35 AM

Yes, I know what you mean. It kind of reminds me of the movie The color purple.

"Everything you've done to me, already has been done to you"

Bad Karma!

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 262
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8837, In=2
Referrals: 2

Let my People go
Quote this post and reply to it Post#139 @ 08-14-01 , 11:32 PM

It kinda remeinds me of Moses and the Pharaoh. Pharaoh had a hardened heart and a hard head. LET MY PEOPLE GO.

Brad

[Edited by Brad on 08-14-01 at 11:35 PM]

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Archer4hire

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Archer4hire is on a distinguished road

Sorry for interrupting, but...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#140 @ 08-15-01 , 11:46 AM

Rockdoc, I was wondering if you got my e-mails of June 4 and of August 13? Can you please confirm whether or not they reached you? I'll be happy to re-send them, if not.

John

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

*This Is Coming Back Up Top!*
Quote this post and reply to it Post#141 @ 08-19-01 , 07:22 PM

I thought I told you guys I was going to be *AWAY*!!!! Don't you pay attention?
Juan and davidt are talking away as if I can hear them. Reminds me of my husband. I can walk out of a room and he keeps talking as if I'm still there. Expects me to hear what he says and answer him, too. Sheesh!

I'm still unpacking (contrary to appearances which *might* suggest I am using the computer), so wiseass answers will have to be forthcoming tomorrow or maybe very, very late tonight. Will Brad be alone, then? Is Jan still going to sleep early? <perk>

AGBF

Old JoanBruno

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
JoanBruno is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#142 @ 08-19-01 , 08:54 PM

AGBF: God how I missed you!!

Joan

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 262
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8837, In=2
Referrals: 2

The Maine squeeze
Quote this post and reply to it Post#143 @ 08-19-01 , 09:02 PM

Hi AGBF Hope you had a fabulous vacation .

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Thanks, Joan and Brad!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#144 @ 08-20-01 , 11:46 AM

Thank you so much for the welcome home, you two!! Makes me feel all warm and cozy!! The best part about my vacation was that at least I didn't gain any weight during it!! I did some walking and swimming and didn't have any desserts or use the sour cream or butter
on my baked potatoes! Yeah!

Nobody better tell me Diamond Talk is here to facilitate the discussion of diamonds and not to talk about weight and baked potatoes, either. I hate it when people tell me what I can talk about and what I can't. And I'm back in fighting shape again. Any takers? Only problem is, sometimes fighting turns me on. Not fighting with women. But with...well, Ice...how's your counter been holding up?

AGBF

PS-I actually have an on-topic posting to make a propos of my vacation. I'll start another thread on that, though

(Edited to change "he" to "the"...not something I want to do too often )

[Edited by A Girl's Best Friend on 08-20-01 at 11:48 AM]

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Correct term for this finish by VanGraff
Up a Topic Correct term for this finish posted in DIAMONDS by VanGraff
Older:
Down a Topic Is Ashford com Going To Survive by JamesAllen
Down a Topic Wholesale diamond at 280 per carat posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by sg001