Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jlaw3

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jlaw3 is on a distinguished road

Color Change Sapphire?? Need Opinions
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-09-10 , 01:20 PM

Hello everyone. I have a very old ring (sorry no pics yet), I have been told it probably dates back at least to the early 1900's. The stone is round cut, 10mm, and approximatley 4.5 to 5 carats. Set in 14kt gold, ornately detailed mounting.

It has a fairly strong color change, however in the reverse of what the standard is for alexandrite. I am sure it cannot be alexandrite, due to its large size as well. But in sunlight it is a strong purple, amythest llike color. Inside though it has a green hue, but not as strong as the purple exhibits. It actually shows purple, sometimes a red tinge and then the green.

My mother was told by a jeweler that it "tested" as a gemstone, but couldn't say if it was natural or lab. Pretty vague, not to mention they also asked if she was interested in selling it.

I had it looked at by a local gemologist who spent a long while examining it. The results were more of a "educated guess". Probably sapphire, but yet ever so slightly outside of sapphire range, whatever that means. Yet if it is synthetic, it is the best he had ever seen. Could not find definite evidence that it was lab...but sheer size and color made him believe it almost had to be.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I live in the midwest and am willing to go where need be to have it appraised. Problem is I don't know who to trust and I will not go to anyone that I have to leave it with. Unfortunately my grandmother "lost" a couple of very valuable stones decades ago when she sent them in to a reputable jeweler for maintenance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Color Change Sapphire?? Need Opinions
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-09-10 , 10:33 PM

This question comes up once or twice a year and you are most likely correct in assuming that your stone is a synthetic sapphire. They started making these things in the early 1900's and in quite large sizes. If the stone is without inclusions it's most likely synthetic, (if it has inclusions, then they will be diagnostic for the stone type). If you are really concerned I would look up a gemmologist/appraiser and get their opinion. Synthetics like this are pretty easy to tell from natural if the back of the ring is open and light can be shown through the stone. Under a microscope there should be visible curved growth lines running through the stone. A good gemmologist should also have the ability to do a spectroscopic analysis and be able to show you how that matches other similar stones of this type and doesn't match natural sapphire.

Michael_E signature
Old jlaw3

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jlaw3 is on a distinguished road

Re: Color Change Sapphire?? Need Opinions
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-10-10 , 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
This question comes up once or twice a year and you are most likely correct in assuming that your stone is a synthetic sapphire. They started making these things in the early 1900's and in quite large sizes. If the stone is without inclusions it's most likely synthetic, (if it has inclusions, then they will be diagnostic for the stone type). If you are really concerned I would look up a gemmologist/appraiser and get their opinion. Synthetics like this are pretty easy to tell from natural if the back of the ring is open and light can be shown through the stone. Under a microscope there should be visible curved growth lines running through the stone. A good gemmologist should also have the ability to do a spectroscopic analysis and be able to show you how that matches other similar stones of this type and doesn't match natural sapphire.

Thank you, that info is very helpful.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Blue Topaz Radioactivity by LagunaMom
Up a Topic Carre Bagette style shoulders on a ring posted in Jewelry Design by rachelwalsh30
Older:
Down a Topic Apatite by capstone
Down a Topic What is a Carre cut in diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by Shridhar