Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old acsanders

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
acsanders is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-22-02 , 09:47 PM

I'm curious, how much is too much to pay for photography? I live in Northern California and everything is expensive, but a photographer quoted me $4500.00 for two photographers (one doing color and another black & white) and I keep the proofs and negatives. They will also take an unlimited amount of pictures and there is no time limit. But, this price doesn't include any developing. I think the lady is nuts! I refuse to pay San Francisco prices in Sacramento (actually, I'm getting married in the foothills). What bothers me is that this lady lives where I am getting married, she just happens to do many weddings in San Francisco. Well, what do you all think?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old siloxane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
siloxane is on a distinguished road

RE : How much for Photography?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-22-02 , 10:18 PM

If your gut says no...then no. For me, photography is so important, but not that important. It pains me that I have absolutely no $$ for a photographer. So much to the point that if my father wants to pay for some of the wedding, I may ask him to give us a really nice photographer! Or, if he wants to pay for the reception, I may splurge on the photographer.

However, $4500 is a lot. When I meant splure, I mean $1500!! Okay, so I am thinking with my cost of living, but still that is a lot. What do other photographers go for and are they on the same level as her?

siloxane signature
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
-Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets
Old dbeth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
dbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-22-02 , 10:42 PM

I live in Southern california and the prices here are around what you were quoted.

But, how many years experience and have you seen this photographers style of work? Expensive does not always mean the best and there are some cheaper photographers that are just as good if not better.

I would ask to see a recent wedding's proofs. And if they say they don't have any, I would not believe them because there are many weddings in Sept. and Oct. I would not just judge a photographer by their albums---of course those pictures will be their best work.

Good luck.

Old misspiggy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
misspiggy is on a distinguished road

CA photography...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-22-02 , 11:46 PM

yup, it's horribly expensive in the Bay Area. I saw a *lot* of recommended photographers charging in the $5000 range.

Some photographers these days have great websites that you can browse through to get an idea of their style and artistry before making a trip to their studio.

I would totally recommend Kurt Ackerman (www.kurtackerman.com) based on his portfolio (and if you e-mail him, he gives you links to full weddings that he has done and put up on the web for couples), how super-friendly he was when I talked to him on the phone, and the fact that he was slightly less expensive (he quoted us $3800). I *think* he's up in Sacramento, too, which is what made me think of him. The other thing I really liked about him is that he sends about 200 4x6 photos to you (as "proofs," but you could completely use them for your own album or put them in frames), and all of your pictures go up on a website that you can give all your friends and family the password to.

Anyway, that's who sprung to mind when I read your post!
Good luck!!

Old biochemgoddess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 69
biochemgoddess is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-23-02 , 01:05 AM

AC,

I think that you have to go with your gut. I had a bad feeling about even paying $1000 CDN for a sitting, considering the poor quality of the portfolio, with the photograper who is the "only game in town". I have investigated other photographers and options (and have lots of family members with lots of digital cameras for the candids - work out better than most "impromptu" shots )

I was looking at having my wedding in Monterey and these people came highly recommended from a friend of mine who had her wedding done by them. You might want to check:
http://www.billstockwell.com/
There was also an older thread in this forum devoted to this question that you might find informative.

Best of luck,
Nat

Old 43facets

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
43facets is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-25-02 , 10:38 AM

Just a thought girls.....here we have many "Advertising" firms. Find out who they use for their photos. This is what I did. My photos included the traditional as well as quite a bit of "candids". I was charged a flat fee (can't remember what it was - I think around $300.00) and paid for each of the photos. My photos were far superiour in quality than friends who used "traditional" wedding photographers. I ended up buying more of the candids as they truley expressed the day.

If you go this route, ask to see examples of their work and be specific as to what photos they must take.

Sometimes thinking *outside* the box will save you money.

Old acsanders

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-27-02 , 06:43 PM

The lady used to be a photographer for Playboy. She has great credentials, but she does lives in the foothills and should not be charging SF prices. My sister and her husband used Peter Bruce Photography. He is a wonderful photographer with all of the elements that I want at a better price. The only problem is my brother-in-law says that my pictures would look like my sister, but in a different dress. There are many talented artists living in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area, but some tend to lack experience with photojournalistic wedding photography. I will be checking out the links you put here.

Old feydruss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
feydruss is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-27-02 , 08:11 PM

I understand the budget thing, I really do. Have you considered approaching one of the fine arts schools or someplace like that in town and talking to some of the photography students about the gig? They're always anxious to add stuff to their portfolios, get a professional credit, and they work for peanuts. If you cover the film and processing, they might even do it for free. You might even be able to get 2 or 3 students, so you can get more coverage in different styles.

feydruss signature
Fey Druss
Old jackieblue

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jackieblue is on a distinguished road

Joke of the day
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-29-02 , 09:41 AM

I had a photography studio begin our pricing discussion yesterday by showing me a $14,000 package. This is not a typo!!!!! 14k. Oh, and no proofs. I won't be hiring them for a whole bunch of reasons, but I just thought this was priceless. Their least expensive package was $3000 (extra 15% for table pictures!) and included one album. They tried to play on my emotions big time. Puh-lease.

Old feydruss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
feydruss is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-30-02 , 12:43 AM

$14,000???? Are they insane? Unless the package includes flying the bridal party to India to take pictures in front of the Taj Mahal...

I don't even think I'd pay $1400, actually.

feydruss signature
Fey Druss
Old acsanders

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-30-02 , 12:53 AM

Just proofs? What about the negatives? You can't do anything with the proofs. Just look at them. I have to get a photographer that provides the negatives for me to keep. That way, twenty years down the road, I can make reprints. Otherwise, I would have to try to track down my photographer, and good luck if they still have the negatives! I'm very disappointed that so many photographers don't let you keep the negatives. It should not even be a part of the packaged price. They don't provide the negatives so that you will spend outrageous prices getting prints made through them.

14K--They should be photographing the engagement party, the bridal shower, the engagement photos, the rehearsal dinner, the reception and the honeymoon!

Old Katt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Katt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-22-03 , 06:31 PM

This is probably a moot point already as this is an old thread, but, just in case...

It doesnt' really matter where she lives, if she does most of her work in SF, she should charge sf prices, she needs to be competitive and if she is good then she will find people to pay those prices.

I don't see anything wrong with using your sister's photographer. Your pics will not look the same, it is a different wedding, different things are happening etc... there are different things to take pictures of. As long as you like the photos, then that is all that matters.

Old HappyCouple2002

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
HappyCouple2002 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-03-04 , 08:33 AM

Wedding photography is big business here. In some instances it can cost more than the reception. A couple we know paid over USD$10k for their photos.

We paid abt US$4500 all up. We were quite lucky as both the leading photographer and the creative photographer tooks our pictures. They are both award winners in Australia.

We choose the 'Magazine album' which comprises of all digital shots i.e you can have one photo on one page or one landscaped photo over two pages or several photos on one page.

Good photos is important but if you are shopping around, also look for a photographer who can create stunning albums. A photo may not look good but when it's in the album it can look brilliant. Weird...

The reputable photographers here don't give negatives either! They charge $25 per photo!

Read Messages in: Music, Photography & Video All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Father daughter dance music by kailyn
Up a Topic Man s band what width preferred posted in JEWELRY by marriahlyn
Older:
Down a Topic Need music ideas by rollnrocker
Down a Topic Whiteflash com Diamond Channel Settings posted in JEWELRY by xdarque