Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 92
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3963, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-20-02 , 11:10 PM

Hi y'all! Just wanted to say hi, and that I am still here, and that, no, I have not been eaten by a bear or a moose or a king salmon, or anything else up here in the Alaskan wild. I am working hard and selling my little heart out. I feel like I get better every day - and I am still genuinely happy when I can match a customer up with a piece that they love. It happened the other day with an older lady who was on vacation - she motioned to me and asked about a ruby and diamond ring in the case. It fit her like a dream, we talked a little bit about the setting and pave style diamonds, etc. and then she decided she had to have it. She sweetly whispered to me that she had never bought herself that expensive of a present before (it was about 2k), as she held her hand out in front of her proudly. That was a few days ago, and it's going to be one of the ones I always remember. I remember the name of the lady I made my first sale to a few months ago. I don't remember what she bought, but her name was Louise.

I've just been a little disheartened by all the junk that's been going on recently. Add the DT junk to similar junk going on with some of my co-workers, and the outcome is I have not had it in me to participate here much recently. But I'm still around, in case a few of you were wondering. Anybody who's itching to get a post in, but hasn't been participating much recently, feel free to join me in a little love fest!

I am still experiencing the occupational hazard of jewelry purchasing that is part of this business. My purchases to date: diamond studs, ruby/diamond ring, 2-tone gold and diamond ring with matching earrings, white gold pave band, white gold/white pearl earrings, 2 gold chains, opal pendant for my sister, amethyst pendant and chain for Shyann's gymnastics coach, tanzanite studs for my best friend's birthday...AAAAAAAAAAAAUU UUUUUUGH! I'm gonna go home broke!

P.S. Gia - there's this guy... I'll keep ya posted!

[Edited by GemGoddess on 07-20-02 at 11:15 PM]

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Serlin2

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Serlin2 is on a distinguished road

Hi GemG
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-20-02 , 11:38 PM

Hi there,

I'm new to DT, but I'm glad to hear from someone who isn't mad at someone else here. I think we can use a few more people with an even temperment.

Whereabout's is Skagway? And what caused you to open a shop there (via San Antonio)?

Old Diamond in the Ruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Diamond in the Ruck is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-21-02 , 12:09 AM

Soon I will be able say the same thing. I doubt that I will be able to tell DT. My wife, and mom and dad will be coming with me to do a little sport fishing. I can't wait. I think Skagway is a ways off from where we are heading. We are going to the Kenai area. Peace from Utah soon Alaska.
Later

Diamond in the Ruck signature
Rucker
The older I get the better I was.
Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-21-02 , 12:49 AM

Hi Serlin, the story is, I'm up here for the summer - I don't own the shop, I work for a lady I met while I was attending school at the GIA this past fall/winter. I live in San Antonio, but I am here in Skagway for the cruise ship season. It's in Southeast Alaska.

Rucker, have a good time up here. It really is pretty.

GemGoddess signature
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-21-02 , 03:17 AM

Hi Stephanie,
Glad to hear you're doing well--your recent customer, that's what it's all about . When are you heading home?

How is Shyann doing these days?

Shelby

Old Arabesque

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Arabesque is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-21-02 , 08:46 AM

Hi Stephanie,

I'm pretty new to Diamond Talk too, but would love to join you in a happy thread/'lovefest." I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying Alaska- I'm originally from there (Anchorage) and think it's the most beautiful state! Have you had a chance to do any hiking, camping, or outdoorsy kinds of things? Keep on enjoying yourself- it really is an amazing place!

Arabesque

Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
emnightingale is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-21-02 , 11:27 AM

Rucker,

I grew up in Kenai! I lived there for 15 years and only left a couple years ago to go to school. Although I still go back for vacations. If you are in the town you will see people I know! In fact if you go to the grocery store you'll probably see my mom and my former co-workers. If you want any suggestions for places to go or anything, just ask!

Arabesque,

My fiance grew up in Anchorage - he went to Service High School. I've spent my last two summers living there.

Steph,

So glad to see you posted. I've missed you and your make-love-not-war presence.

Em

Old Arabesque

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-21-02 , 01:42 PM

Em,

I went to Service Highschool too- graduated in 1995. When did your fiance graduate? I love the Kenai River area, it's always been one of my favorite parts of the state.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-21-02 , 02:21 PM

Serlin - I just noticed you are from Ontario. We are about 20 miles from the Canadian border. We drive into Whitehorse (@ 2 1/2 hrs) every month or so for groceries.

Shelby - I head for San Antonio the 26th of September. Shyann is doing great. They are going to have her repeat the first six weeks of first grade to boost her skills, then move her to second if all looks good. It's mostly reading. I'm impressed that she handled first grade as well as she did, considering she didn't get to go to kindergarten. Thanks for asking!

Arabesque - New, old, doesn't matter. All are invited to participate in my 'make-love-not-war' fest, as Em put it. One of the first threads I ever participated in was a 'head count' thread started by our dear AGBF, and I poked a little fun and asked if Newbies were supposed to stand up and be counted, and Her Majesty told me we'd better, or suffer the consequences (or something to that effect). Yes, we go out hiking, etc. It is nice to be able to go for a walk at 10:30 at night!

Em, you sweetheart - I miss you too! So, that's it, I'm officially the DT flower child? I was going to make daisy chains for everyone, but I seem to be out of daisys at the moment. How 'bout a rose chain instead...:ro se::ros e:

GemGoddess signature
Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-21-02 , 06:47 PM

Wow Steph, thanks!!!

Arabesque, he graduated in 1998, so he would have been like a freshman when you were a senior. Small world.

Em

P.S. BTW Steph, next time you're in Whitehorse, go to the Boston Pizza! It's the best! My fiance and I stop there when we drive between AK & the lower 48.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-21-02 , 10:09 PM

Quote:
emnightingale :
...Boston Pizza...

We just went there the last time we were in W.H. It WAS good! We had pizza and the extra spicy hotwings. Yum!

GemGoddess signature
Old Arabesque

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-21-02 , 11:07 PM

Em- I'm sure because of the grade differences (and how huge that school is) we didn't know each other, but we probably passed each other in the hall from time to time- it is a small world!

GemGoddess- Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old KB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
KB is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-22-02 , 04:13 AM

GemGoddess---You have made my morning. I am so happy to read a thread that is positive...

I bet you are staying incredibly busy during the cruise season. It's nice that you are getting customers that are excited about their purchases and they are making it memorable for you.

Have Fun, Kara

Old Cal

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My Mark Morrell ring!

My Karma
Power: 80
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-22-02 , 07:01 AM

Steph...did I miss something? Your DT name is different, isn't it?

My mother and stepfather are going on their first Alaskan cruise just about a month from now, and I believe Skagway is one of their stops. Maybe I can hint that they need to bring me a proper souvenir from your store!

Cal signature
* Hoomanaoio ~ Manaolana ~ Paulele*
* Believe ~ Hope ~ Trust *
Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-22-02 , 01:19 PM

Steph, how wonderful to hear from you! I'm glad you're doing so well up in the wilds of Alaska. Hey, if you can't shake your buying habit, I'd be happy to accept any gift you want to buy for me.

Take care and try to pop in as often as you can!

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-22-02 , 10:58 PM

Arabesque -

Kara - it is SO busy much of the time (like today - I'm exhausted). Other times...

Cal - See here for name change thing. Absolutely send your folks in to see me! That is SO cool! When you know for sure, let me know when they will be here.

Hest - Well, I'm slowing down now finally, but I'll see what we can do. How 'bout a moose poop keychain?

[Edited by GemGoddess on 07-22-02 at 10:58 PM]

GemGoddess signature
Old KB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-22-02 , 11:00 PM

GG---

Could you possibly post a pic of the coveted moose poop keychain!!!! I think that could be given out around here for the "best" thread of the month or something!!!!

Kara

Old Cal

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My Mark Morrell ring!

My Karma
Power: 80
Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough Cal is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-22-02 , 11:13 PM

Thanks, Steph. I missed the name change announcement.

I'll tell my parents about your store. I know my mom loves jewelry, so maybe she'll convince my stepfather to buy her something for their anniversary.

Cal signature
* Hoomanaoio ~ Manaolana ~ Paulele*
* Believe ~ Hope ~ Trust *
Old emnightingale

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 07-22-02 , 11:14 PM

Steph,

What?? No moose poop earrings, pendants, and SWIZZLE STICKS? What are they TEACHING you south-easterners!?!?!?

Em

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 07-22-02 , 11:53 PM

Well Em, how 'bout some moose nugget candy, for that matter? That's it, moose poop keychains all around...

I saw a great T-shirt today. It reads: Skagway. A quaint little drinking town with a slight fishing problem. Bwaaahahahaha...

[Edited by GemGoddess on 07-22-02 at 11:54 PM]

GemGoddess signature
Old KB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-23-02 , 12:09 AM

I am apparantly too slappy for words because I am getting the biggest kick out of the idea of moose poop keychains!!!

But the grand prize should be:

http://www.poopmoose.com/

Read Messages in: AK All forums
Newer:
This is the first topic
Up a Topic PX I have a question for you posted in About Weddings by marriahlyn
Older:
Down a Topic Safe and Sound in Alaska by GemGoddess
Down a Topic CHUBB INSURANCE IN TEXAS posted in Appraisal & Insurance by stevopike