Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Lola888

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Lola888 is on a distinguished road

Calling all halo/micropave experts!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-28-08 , 09:34 AM

Calling all halo/micropave experts, I'm have my 2 ct round diamond set in a micropave/halo setting. I asked for prongs to hold the diamond because I did not want any of the diamond's edge to be covered up in a bezel setting. I want the stone to be slightly raised by the prongs above the halo. The jeweler I'm working with said that there will slight gap between the diamond's edge and the halo. He said the gap will not be visible when looking straight down at the ring or even from the side/profile shot. He said a small gap will be visible if you look at the diamond's edge from a 45 degree angle on the side.

Is this true? Is is possible to have a halo/micropave setting with prongs without any gap for a 2 ct stone?

Thanks for your help!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4500, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: Calling all halo/micropave experts!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-28-08 , 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola888

Is this true? Is is possible to have a halo/micropave setting with prongs without any gap for a 2 ct stone?

Hi & welcome.

Anything is possible when you are custom making a ring to fit a stone whether it is a .50 carat or a 2.00 carat. The design could have a slight gap if that it what you desire or no gap depending on what you want.

On the other hand, when trying to fit a stone into an existing design, there is a greater chance to have issues with gaps, or less than optimal aesthetics, etc.

To be fair to the jeweler, now is the time to be perfectly clear with them about what you are expecting.

If you are paying for a custom ring (which will be more $ than an 'off the rack' or 'catalog' design) your expectations should be to get exactly what you want or more accurately 'the design that you have specified and indicated to them'

If you are paying for an 'off the rack' design, you might have to lower the above expectations.

In either case I would recommend talking to them now.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old stevet47

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
stevet47 is on a distinguished road

Re: Calling all halo/micropave experts!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-17-08 , 10:09 PM

If I understand correctly, this is what he meant by the gap. You can see "daylight" in between the diamond and the halo.

Personally, I like a small gap.

Last edited by stevet47 : 03-17-08 at 10:11 PM.
Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Mary by marygales
Up a Topic Ruby Diamond Dress Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by thekita
Older:
Down a Topic Hi I m new by karna68
Down a Topic Please Help with Proposal in NYC posted in Your Proposal & Wedding Stories by excited