Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old herb

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
herb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-31-02 , 11:36 PM

Hey everybody!!!
My fiancee and I are now trying to find a good place to get married and have a reception in the Chicago area. Since all you DT'ers helped me so much finding the diamond, I thought I'd run this by you guys too.

Any suggestions?

BTW...Nice changes to the website Gilbert!

Thanks everyone,
herb

herb signature
How to become immortal: Read my signature tomorrow and follow its advice.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old marriahlyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
marriahlyn is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-01-02 , 12:45 AM

I can't be of much help but I'm 2 1/2 hours from Chicago. Cost is a big factor in having a reception. Do you want something elaborate or simple. I went to a wedding last summer at the Wyndham Drake in Oakbrook and boy was it nice. There are 2 rooms to have a reception and both are wonderful, one is fancier than the other. We had valet service, a cocktail room down by the pool with appetizers before the actual reception, then a 5 course Filet meal. I'm sure it was very very expensive but absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.wyndham.com/Drake/default.cfm

Old Jaxie

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 60
Jaxie is on a distinguished road

We're getting married here
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-01-02 , 02:20 AM

http://www.silverlakecc.com

It's in Orland Park, IL not tooooo far from Chicago. It's gorgeous!

Jaxie signature
I AM MARRIED :O !!!
Old FrankBooth

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
FrankBooth is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=161, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-01-02 , 01:08 PM

My sister had her reception at the Windum Hotel right off route 355 west of Chicago. I've also been to a reception held at university of chicago's campus. Both were beautiful and fun receptions.

Old herb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-01-02 , 05:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I really appreciate it.
My fiancee and I are going to look for a location in just a couple weeks and I'm definately going to go look at the places you guys recommended.
Anybody else got a good idea?

-herb

herb signature
Old guyneedsaring

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
guyneedsaring is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=212, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-01-02 , 06:28 PM

My Sister is Getting married in chicago in July of next year, she is getting married and having the reception at some kind of botanical garden museum. I will try to find the name of it for you.

guyneedsaring signature
Old Bbbethie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
Bbbethie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-01-02 , 09:18 PM

What is your budget? How many people? I'm just putting the finishing touches on my wedding for September. I'd be glad to make some recommendations!

Old dudlbug

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dudlbug is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-02-02 , 10:59 PM

I live in Woodstock, Illinois...about 65 miles NW of chicago, and my hubby and I were married on the historic Woodstock Square, in the gazebo. It was a beautiful fall wedding. It is almost our 3rd, anniversary.

If you saw the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray back in the early 90's, that was filmed on the square...My office was over the movie theater, and I was able to watch much of the filming of it. The Woodstock Opera House is also on the square. This is also an historic site. Orson Welles got his start there. It is a very quaint and romantic place to be married.

Just another suggestion for you to ponder...Jan

Old herb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-03-02 , 11:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bbbethie,
We haven't been able to set a budget yet...we're still trying to see what's out there and available. We are expecting about 100 people to attend. It's great to hear everyone's ideas!!! Can't wait to hear yours Bbbethie!

Thanks,
herb

herb signature
Old Alana

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Alana is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-05-02 , 02:22 PM

My hubby and I got married In Orland Park and had our reception at DiNolfo's in Mokena, IL. Giorgios in Orland Park is also excellent.

We got married July 15, 2000. We absolutely loved it!

I don't know if they have a websites.

Old Bbbethie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-05-02 , 04:03 PM

There are so many places in Chicago, it all depends on what you are looking for. I have an extremely small budget for Chicago so I am having mine at the Terrace in Lombard.

There are a lot of great mansions, arboretums, and gardens if you want something a little different.

The Seville was just redone and looks amazing. They also have especially great prices if you want to have it on a Sunday or Friday.

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-05-02 , 07:06 PM

Herb --

Are you looking for something "in" the city, or the suburbs? There are many beautiful hotels downtown, but they cost a small fortune. You get a lot more for your money in the suburbs (in my opinion).

We got married at Hickory Hills Country Club in Hickory Hills, a southwest suburb. I have also been to Georgios and Silver Lakes CC in Orland -- both of which were beautiful. I have also been to The Odessey in Tinley Park -- another great place.

I've been to a lot of weddings in the Chicago area. Send me a PM and I'll give you more suggestions once I know the area you're looking at.

Old herb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 08-05-02 , 08:14 PM

Well, we would like to get married in downtown Chicago but I'm not sure we'll be able to afford it. Something close to Downer's Grove/Oak Brook would be nice. I'm not that familiar with Chicago...by fiancee is more familiar but I'm still trying research as much as possible. I like the ideas of the "mansions, arboretums, and gardens." Especially something close to Downer's Grove. A country club would be nice too. Also, anything really nice in southern Wisconsin would work (Kenosha, Lake Geneva).
I'm doing research on all these places you guys are naming, and I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
herb

herb signature
Old jackieblue

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
jackieblue is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 08-05-02 , 08:36 PM

I don't live in the greater Chicagoland area, but I grew up there so I know a bit.

If money is an issue, you could probably get a lot of bang for your buck by sticking with southern Wisconsin, and it can be really beautiful there. Perhaps one of the gazillion B&B-type places in the Lake Geneva area you mentioned.

Oakbrook is expensive... maybe look into nearby suburbs (like Westmont, perhaps?)

Hmmm...there's Indian Lakes Country Club...I think it's in Bloomingdale, but not a terribly long drive from Downer's Grove by Chicago standards. From what I remember, it was pretty affordable as far as country clubs go. Bbethie's place in Lombard is probably doable too. She also mentioned the Seville...that's all the way in Streamwood (if it's the same one I know) which is a bit far to the north and west of Downers, yet closer than southern WI. Their prices *are* good, and I can attest to the staff doing well as I had my 1st (practice?) wedding & reception there. If you are open to earlier in the day, you can save big bucks with them. I'd definitely talk to Bbethie more if I were you, as it seems like she is closer to your target suburbs. Have you tried Naperville? I hear that that area is unbelievably populated now, so I bet there are tons of places.

I'm not sure if the Art Institute in Chicago does weddings, but that would be a really cool place to get married.

I'm sorry if this isn't as helpful as I intended when I started writing it...it appears that I know a lot of expensive places in the Chicago area! (I went to a very nice wedding at the Ritz downtown last year...they had about 50 guests and I am sure they spent way, way more than we will on our 200 or so!)

Old Bbbethie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 08-05-02 , 08:47 PM

When were you planning on getting married?

BTW, my ceremony is in Downers Grove.

If you are looking in 2004 you should check out the Morton Arboretum, they will be closed for events in 2003 for construction. There are a couple mansions in Oak Park, some cool Frank Lloyd Wright homes. There is Garfield Park Conservatory, the Brookfield Zoo, the options are endless!

There are a couple mansions in Joliet, don't bother going to the Patrick Henry Mansions, I wouldn't recommend it. Actually, I wouldn't recommend anything in Joliet (I looked at several places).

You might also want to contact Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oakbrook. They are going through some construction but should be open next year. I've heard its supposed to be beautiful, they even have a chapel on the grounds.

Keep us posted on what you are thinking and I'll keep throwing out ideas!

Old herb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 08-05-02 , 08:57 PM

Bbbethie and jackieblue,
Thanks for the help.
We're trying to find something for summer 2003.
What kind of prices can we get per plate? Everywhere we've looked so far (in the city) is around $100+/plate.
$75 or less would be more like it.

Thanks,
herbie

herb signature
Old Bbbethie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 08-05-02 , 09:05 PM

Not to scare you or anything but if you want to do something for the summer of 2003 you need to book right away! Things fill up at least a year in advance in the Chicagoland area. There are people who are booking for 2004 and 2005.

You should be able to do an event for under $75 per person at any of the places I mentioned earlier. You might also want to check out the Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Arts in Elmhurst. If you are looking for something non-traditional you might like that place. There is also another Art Museum in Elmhurst, I can't remember the name though.

If you want to email me I would be glad to help in other ways, I've done a ton of research and would be more than glad to share!

Old Lizzy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
Lizzy is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=292, In=0

Water Wedding?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 08-05-02 , 09:14 PM

My next-door-neighbors got married at the drake and they highly recommend it. Oh, but you have a budget.

Have you thought about doing a wedding cruise? There are commercial boats that can host your wedding and reception of any size. And some are quite reasonable (well within your budget, less than $50 pp including an open bar). I've been on several boat cruises and they are always fun - although I have never done a wedding reception.

Lizzy

Old dudlbug

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dudlbug is on a distinguished road

Chicagoland Weddings
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 08-05-02 , 09:55 PM

If you are looking in the Downers' Grove area, have you thought about Col. McCormick's Estate in Wheaton? The name of it is "Cantigny" They have the most beautiful grounds, and flowers. It is a privately endowed mansion. I believe the that they charge a nominal fee to use the grounds for the wedding. They have a wonderful website too! You should take a minute and peruse the website. Just one more suggestion.

I live very near Lake Geneva. That is going to be really pricey, especially if you decide to book a late spring/summer wedding. And I am not sure you would want to do a winter wedding in Lake Geneva! It gets mighty cold and windy...Something more for you to consider

Jan

Old riddler

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
riddler is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 08-06-02 , 11:17 PM

The McDonalds corporation headquarters on Jorie Blvd. in Oakbrook is fabulous, but you have to know someone to get in. The food is the best that I have ever had at a wedding, and the facility is beautiful and classy. They provide a guy who is like your own personal concierge to help out with anything that you need. You can have a $150 a plate wedding for $60.

Old abbykatesmom

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Ring

My Karma
Power: 59
abbykatesmom is on a distinguished road

Take a look
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 08-06-02 , 11:37 PM

at the country squire in the Northern Suburbs. I think that it is in Grayslake. It was originally a home owned by the Sears family and it is stunning. Great outdoor setting. Very woodsy. The food is super yummy

Here is a link.

www.cquire.com

abbykatesmom signature
Shannon my friend I will never forget you! Rest in Peace
Last edited by abbykatesmom : 08-06-02 at 11:38 PM.
Old jackieblue

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
jackieblue is on a distinguished road

Chicago Wedding Pages
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 08-27-02 , 04:40 PM

Herb-
I just got back from an unbelievably long trip (at least it *seemed* long...personal and business) from Chicago. I picked up a Chicago Wedding Pages for you there if you want it. It seems to have quite a few reception places listed. Let me know and I will get it out to you.
take care,
-jackieblue

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 09-13-02 , 06:18 PM

My sister just booked The Abbington in Glen Ellyn for her November wedding (how she is planning a wedding in 2 months is beyond me). Their price is around $60/person but that includes the wedding cake and flowers for the tables. Not just a carnation-in-a-bud-vase flowers, but real flowers that she picks from their florist. That place is not too far from Downers Grove. Their website is www.abbingtonbanquets.com .

She almost went with Seven Bridges Country Club, but they only had a Friday night open. That place is beautiful! It is in Woodridge which is really close to DG. And it is a country club so there's windows and a lot more scenery. Their prices were pretty reasonable too.

Last summer one of my girlfriend's had her reception at the Holiday Inn Willowbrook/Hinsdale. That too is really close to DG. They have a really cute atrium right outside the main ball room. The nice thing about that place is if you have a lot of people coming in from out of town they don't have to travel far to the hotel. I believe they also have some nice grounds for photos outside. They were around the same price as the two places above; some menu items were less expensive than that.

If you're looking to have a smaller wedding, Maggiano's in Oak Brook is really nice too.

Old gowebbaby

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
gowebbaby is on a distinguished road

Re: Wedding location in Chicago?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 01-01-13 , 04:06 AM

I would recommended Martinique Banquets perfect venue for wedding in Chicago.

Read Messages in: Reception Halls All forums
Newer:
This is the first topic
Up a Topic Markings on a ring unknown posted in JEWELRY by jcolbert
Older:
Down a Topic Chinese Banquet Reception by derekinla
Down a Topic Assistance needed with Ring posted in Appraisal & Insurance by nolan4