Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Kamuelamom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Kamuelamom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-15-04 , 10:05 PM

Gilbert, check out all the threads with multi posts, yet "0" views? Is this feature down today for some reason? Just wondering.......

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7831, In=1682
Referrals: 18

for server load
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-16-04 , 04:47 PM

That's intentional actually. For the non-techies, the views and ad rotation updates happen when the server isn't too busy. Writing to the hard drive slowed down the machine so much over xmas that I had to make a change. More technical explanation below.

When our server load started going crazy xmas time and I inquired with the vbulletin developers on how we can upgrade the machine so that it will last for two years, I basically learned that it'll take two dual processors, loaded with RAM, one for the database and one for the html serving...and that's just to handle current traffic. I don't know how long it will be good for and how much higher vbulletin scales, but hopefully that will be enough for awhile... This change will take some work to migrate etc so in the meantime I analyzed the situation to find the most intensive processes and found out that updating the ads and views hit the server the hardest. So now I'm saving those views to a HEAP table (in RAM), using a modified version of an existing mod, so it doesn't have to hit the regular tables. Even a LOW Priority update to update the views locks the table until it's done. The day we can have the version of mysql that uses row locking will be a HUGE improvement on speed and scaling I have to imagine. When server load goes down to normal, every 50 times ANY page on DT is hit, the views are updated. When the server is real busy for an extended period of time, a lot of views will show up as 0. Which is preferable to not being able to see the page at all...

GilbertZ signature
Old Kamuelamom

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Kamuelamom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-16-04 , 05:32 PM

Thanks.

Geek.

Read Messages in: Getting the most out of this forum All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is there a sign out button by marriahlyn
Up a Topic Verifying a gem and it s value posted in DIAMONDS by czettler
Older:
Down a Topic How do you enable HTML by ancienthills
Down a Topic How do you enable HTML posted in Getting the most out of this forum by ancienthills