Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 154
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Moderation in moderation
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-23-06 , 01:54 AM

Ok i've a little gripe with DT about the way the boards are moderated.

When a post is moderated, lets say for example, a trade member posts a link deemed inappropriate (as happened the other day), there is no indication that the post has been subsequently moderated. This is sooo disconcerting...I read something, then it disappears.

I have been on a couple of forums where they show that the post/thread has been moderated in some way. This is a great way of moderating but not totally confusing your members. Sure, it means the moderated one gets a very tiny slap on the wrist (hey, we all make mistakes) and perhaps this isn't great for some of your members who are listed as trade. But surely, in the interest of clarity, there is a better way than sneaking about 'fixing' things that break the DT rules.

I apologise in advance if there is a perfectly logical reason for this and i'd love to be corrected.

Ok, that's my little whinge for the day

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: Moderation in moderation
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-23-06 , 10:06 AM

Hi,

I think the moderators here do a fabulous job in a largely thankless task.

I am not sure about the post you reference, but here are my thoughts in general.

Without quick & decisive moderation this forum would quickly be taken over by the hoards of internet spammers and shills that have nothing better to do than to try to weasel some PR for themselves, forum rules and ethics be damned.

Just yesterday this happened with a quick succesion of item for sale posts.

Then there are the 'undercover' posters that come here with an agenda, these posters are sometimes hard to spot initially until their posts suddenly turn to bashing or trolling for trouble or argument.

It may be difficult for the ocassional poster to see thru these professional spammers and troublemakers working their mayhem on a daily basis, but the moderators here have developed a keen radar for their ilk.

I think the moderators here deserve much more appreciation than they seem to recieve.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 147
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-23-06 , 01:57 PM

RubyMu -

We moderators are loathe to respond to threads such as this one, but I'm going to break my own rule in the hopes that this will finally put questions such as this one to bed.

Much of what Brian and WebGal has said is correct, and I thank them.

I would also like to add this - All anyone has to do is read the very first sentence of the DT Guidelines to which every member has agreed before completing their registration with DiamondTalk:

"Rules of conduct for Diamond Talk:

We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation."

So, sometimes we exercise that right.

If you have any further comments on this procedure, you need to address them directly to the DT Forum Administrator.

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-23-06 , 06:10 PM

Sorry, I think you've all taken me the wrong way. I didn't suggest the forum should not be moderated - not at all - just the opposite in fact. I too saw the multiple ads the other day. The moderators do an excellent job, please don't get me wrong.

I wasn't even suggesting that an individual 'explanation' be given for each moved/removed post. It's just i've seen other forums where it simply indicates post moved or post edited - I gather this is an automatic thing.

Really, I didn't mean to irritate anyone/cause trouble/break the rules/insult the moderators. Only a suggestion to make the forum better.

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-23-06 , 06:49 PM

Thanks Webgal, I've been feeling quite guilty that I had upset people with my post.

I totally agree about the spammers - it wrecks the forum for everyone.

Old Turtlefeathers

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: pave white gold leaf ring

My Karma
Power: 0
Turtlefeathers is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-24-06 , 11:32 PM

Rubyhoney, if ya don't ask, ya don't know, right? That's what I figger...I'd rather look like a total moron and get the question answered than not ask.
Wave-wave, my dear!

Turtlefeathers signature
Turtlefeathers
Read Messages in: Getting the most out of this forum All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic diamond question by jeremyc
Up a Topic Wanted Trillion Diamond or Sapphire Center Stone White Gold Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by JessJohns
Older:
Down a Topic Selling a Superbcert diamond by twinkletwinkle
Down a Topic Setting Question posted in DIAMONDS by kna7a5