Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ih8billg8ts

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ih8billg8ts is on a distinguished road

Need Help Diamond Turn Grey Color
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-11-07 , 05:30 AM

Hi

I am trying to find out every little thing that could possibly turn a diamond grey in color.

I have had my ring now for 4 years and have had the prongs fixed, cleaned, etc. You name it I have had it done at the jewelers to take good care of my ring. I have a GAL on the ring with pics and everything showing quality etc.

I took the ring this time to a jeweler that had the ring sent out. I really did not feel comfortable with this idea but I did it anyways. Went to pick up the ring today and the diamond looks like it was put under a hot flame and it turned grey and that there is new damadge to it as well.

Before I gave them the ring I knew my diamond becasue it had a small flaw on the inside and it made it very unique. Anyways this one just does not look like my diamond at all an I just dont get what could have happened. The ring is still at the jewelers becasue I refused to take it from them with it being the way it is.

I have two questions.

One can new damadge being done to the diamond cause it to get a smoke grey color?

Two with the high heat from fixing it could the guy this time burned the outside of the diamond somehow?

Again I have had work of all kinds done before and never a problem.
As of right now I am fighting this as the diamond is swapped because that is what it looks like was done.

Thanks Angie
ih8billg8ts@hotmail.com

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 474
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Need Help Diamond Turn Grey Color
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-11-07 , 09:01 AM

Angie, sorry to hear about this situation!

It sounds to me like it's a completely different diamond. I've never heard of a diamond turning gray due to a jeweler's torch, unless it was a gray diamond (they do exist) to begin with, or a poor clarity diamond filled with carbon flecks......but then it definitely would have been gray to begin with.

Do you have a picture or any lab paperwork (GIA, EGL, etc.) of your original diamond? If you do, I'd definitely take it to the jeweler & dispute that it's not the same diamond.

Sorry this may add insult to injury, but are you sure you're original diamond was real?? I do not think CZ's can withstand the heat from a torch, so maybe it was really a CZ.

Good luck.....and keep us updated.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old ih8billg8ts

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-11-07 , 02:06 PM

Hi Amy

I know what you mean about making sure that the diamonds are real and they are. I took my GAL today to the manager and he got copies of everything and they are getting another diamond to replace what happened. When I went up there I actually looked at the diamond closer and there were flaws and cracks that were never on mine and the color was horrible!! The manager could not believe the diamond and he is making the repair guy pay for the damadge so I will have to see how that all turns out. It is for sure a SWAP and not the original diamond. I do have to say that no matter the value of your ring it if it is a real diamond get a GAL to cover yourself becasue when they swap they do not care. It would just be nice for him to put back my original diamond. Thanks so much for your reply!!

Take Care

Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Angie, sorry to hear about this situation!

It sounds to me like it's a completely different diamond. I've never heard of a diamond turning gray due to a jeweler's torch, unless it was a gray diamond (they do exist) to begin with, or a poor clarity diamond filled with carbon flecks......but then it definitely would have been gray to begin with.

Do you have a picture or any lab paperwork (GIA, EGL, etc.) of your original diamond? If you do, I'd definitely take it to the jeweler & dispute that it's not the same diamond.

Sorry this may add insult to injury, but are you sure you're original diamond was real?? I do not think CZ's can withstand the heat from a torch, so maybe it was really a CZ.

Good luck.....and keep us updated.

Amy

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 474
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-12-07 , 01:09 PM

Angie, that's awful there are dishonest jewelers out there. I'm sure it wasn't just an "honest mistake" since the diamonds look so differently! But I'm glad the store manager is standing behind it.

Just curious, where did this happen??

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old ih8billg8ts

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-12-07 , 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Angie, that's awful there are dishonest jewelers out there. I'm sure it wasn't just an "honest mistake" since the diamonds look so differently! But I'm glad the store manager is standing behind it.

Just curious, where did this happen??

Amy

It happened at Reed's Jewelers at Springfield Mall in VA. From what I was told the person that does repairs is going to be getting replaced due to all the problems with him. When I went into the store yesterday they made a copy of my cert and the guy that switched the diamond is suppose to pay to replace it but we will see what happens. The store manager is a very nice man and he will do everything it takes to satisfy his customers from what I can tell. I will know something this week and will let you know the outcome. I already have the ring setup to get an appraial done and then I will also take it to two other people just to have them verify it. I will never go without a cert again on any of my jewelery.

Take Care Angie

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic New Member by Jaecharl
Up a Topic REDUCED AGAIN Eternity Bands one yellow one pink sapphire posted in FEEDBACK by mira
Older:
Down a Topic Hello Everyone by JNorbury
Down a Topic Hello Everyone posted in Greet New Members by JNorbury