Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Sandrea

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
Sandrea is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-14-02 , 06:23 PM

...unfortunately it's not my party... still waiting patiently!

But here's my question: what's expected/the norm to give a couple at their engagement party.

Now before people start responding with the expected "there is no norm..." or "a couple shouldn't expect anything..." let me explain:

The party is for my cousin. We're not overly close - and this will actually be my first time at their home. But having said that, no one wants to look like either a cheapo or an ignoramus!

What do I get them? Gift cert? Crystal? Gimme dollar ammounts people! I've got a little time - but I wanna get this one over with.

Suggestions? Come on, what did you give someone at their engagement party??

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 69
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3128, In=85
Referrals: 1

RE : PAR-TAY!! Engagement party question
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-15-02 , 12:30 AM

Perhaps something they can do together. In San Antonio there is a magnificent Sunday champagne brunch every week at one of the nice hotels. I sent my parents there for one of their anniversaries...check the big hotels where you are and see if someone has something like that and get them a gift certificate. Things like that are usually good for a year. If it is too much for you to pay for alone, perhaps one of your other relatives would go in on it with you.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old csanders

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 48
csanders is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-15-02 , 03:37 AM

I've defintely been to my fair share of engagement parties...

Here's some ideas of things I've seen given:

Crystal vase
bar set (cocktail stirrers, tongs etc.)
Nice picture frames
Crystal candlestick holders

Look at Bombayco.com - they always have great presents and everyone knows they're not a cheap co. and everything they sell that I've bought has been of great quality. They have all sorts of gifts you could give for a house.

If I had to put a $ amount on it, I usually spend from $30-$50 depending on how close I am to the couple. Where I'm from, the engagement party is usually for "a nice thought" present whereas the bridal shower is where you spend more $ on a present. But, it may be different where you're from?

A G.C. sounds like a good idea too..

Hope that helps?

csanders signature
~ Cherie ~
Old biochemgoddess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
biochemgoddess is on a distinguished road

RE : PAR-TAY!! Engagement party question
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-15-02 , 07:59 PM

For our engagement party, very few people brought gifts. It wasn't expected or asked for. Some did, and we thanked them kindly and put them away to open the next day, so nobody would be embarassed.

Maybe you should find out through the family grape vine if gifts are expected. Some couples register for their wedding well ahead so it includes the timing of the party. (I think it is really gauche to print registries on invitations, BTW, but that was all hashed out in the B&G forum). If gifts are not expected, and you don't want to give one, don't! Alternatively, pick up a "nice thought" gift like csanders said, or go in on something like GG suggested.

Don't stress about it. Any normal couple would be grateful for your presence, not your presents. Sorry to give you this answer, but it really is true.

Nat

P.S. Hoping for your engagement party to come soon...

Old Sandrea

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
Sandrea is on a distinguished road

thanks so much...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-16-02 , 09:24 PM

... for all your suggestions.

i really like the brunch idea. but it's just nice to know what the "norm" is (as if there is one!)

it's bad enough the bride-to-be got the engagment ring I had my eye on , and then they get engaged before me ... and my mom points out without a second of hesitation that I've been with my boyfriend longer then they've been together...

...what's with my MOM's biological clock, eh?

But I really like the idea of giving them something non-material. nice and original!

thanks again!

Read Messages in: Showers & Parties All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I had the most fun bachelorette party ever by emnightingale
Up a Topic Pon Shot diamond posted in DIAMONDS by marsmannix
Older:
Down a Topic Bridesmaids and Bridal Shower by empresseva
Down a Topic Diamondangel Whatever happened with your ring posted in DIAMONDS by CherylP