Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old mdeleon

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
mdeleon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-07-02 , 10:27 PM

What would you say is the average per person price for a reception? Hors d'oeuvres, dinner and dessert table included.. I'm getting between $65-$80. I live in the Chicago area so things are a bit more here. Is this typical? BTW, being a bit new to this, why would a reception area have a bridal changing area? I always thought the bride and groom would stay in their attire the whole night until they left for their home/hotel whatever. I dunno..

Oh well.. back to researching!! This was more planning that I thought!!

Mike

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-07-02 , 10:40 PM

does that price include alcohol? acutally, i think $50 and up for dinner is the going rate... you don't need a dessert table if you are having cake but most places charges a cake cutting fee. changing room is good b/c you can wait in there until everyone gets seated before your grand entrance. actually, i changed during my reception so i needed a changing room. but if you're not gg to change, then you won't need it.

sopapia signature
Sopapia
Old biochemgoddess

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
biochemgoddess is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-07-02 , 11:13 PM

I think that is pretty average wherever I have looked.

I am having my wedding and reception (the first one) at the same place so a changing room is a must! I also think that if you need to get away to freshen up... or BREATHE... it is a great place. I am using that room as a room for myself and my lovely new husband to sit down and reflect and have the first few moments of married life to ourselves!

Last edited by biochemgoddess : 08-07-02 at 11:48 PM.
Old sweet7696

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
sweet7696 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-07-02 , 11:30 PM

Maybe the changing room is used for brides who want to change into a going away outfit or something more comfortable to dance in.....
Jess

Old misspiggy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
misspiggy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-08-02 , 06:16 PM

ugh ugh UGH, you wouldn't believe how much receptions cost in New York... we were thinking about having our wedding down there since the folks and lots of relatives live in NYC, but we were getting quotes of $100-150... and up to $225 (I kid you not) at one place! I nearly screamed.

I'm starting to think that maybe a Chinese banquet (tend to be much cheaper than American catering) is the way to go after all...

Old Bbbethie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
Bbbethie is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-08-02 , 07:58 PM

I'm in Chicago, while the prices aren't as high as they are in NYC, they are still high. I was able to cut costs by having it in a suburb and being flexible with the date. We found a place that had a cancellation, they offered us a great deal just to fill the room. We are paying $26.50 per person plus tax and tip. This includes 4.5 hours of open bar also.

If you go into the city you are paying a minimum of $80.

Old Domino

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
Domino is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-18-02 , 04:24 PM

We are in a suburb of Detroit and will be paying about $55 a person on a Friday (that's with the Friday discount).

Old ccuheartnurse

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
ccuheartnurse is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

I missed this thread.....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-18-02 , 11:45 PM

I recently posted under "Reception Menu" & I'm paying roughly $53 U.S a person. I think the deal my hall is giving me is a great one considering all the food, and the unlimited alcohol.
A lot of newer halls have bridal suites as a courtesy to the bridal party as a place to get away for some privacy if needed. Also, a lot of them have larger bathrooms & this I know is appreciated by the bride in particular. Need a bit more room with the dress & all. This is a place you can store your wedding gifts & put your gifts of money in the safe. One hall had a great leather sofa. Wonder how many new brides & grooms didnt wait to get to the hotel. I suppose there isnt any reason to wait to find out what "married" sex is like is there?

Judy

Old susans

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
susans is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-06-02 , 07:07 PM

NY is ridiculous with their reception prices. misspiggy's quotes were right on the money.
I was hearing $$175-$250 in Manhattan for a prime month Friday and Saturday night. Off peak the rates were still high at $125-$150
Mind you they also get you with minimum head count requirements (in our case 150), "service charges" (20% of the total reception which added on another $5000 in our case) and THEN to top it off $2 tip per person for the catering manager and your bridal attendant...OH, and don't forget 8.25% NYS tax!!

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 09-08-02 , 09:06 PM

Mike --

I'm from Chicago and the prices you've quoted are right on the money. If you go downtown you can expect to pay in excess of $80/head. The suburbs are cheaper, but if you go to some of the ritzier hotels like on the North Shore or in Oak Brook they too run pretty steep. Of course if you get married "off season" (basically from December to March) you get a bit of a break.

We had friends that got married downtown at a hotel on Rush Street (sorry I can't remember the name of it!) in January 2000. The place was so desperate for business that they got them down from $100 to $75/head.

Old gigilum

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
gigilum is on a distinguished road

RE : Average Per person $ for receptions and bridal changing room?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-30-02 , 01:13 AM

Hello,
We are from San Diego and are getting married at the Halekulani in Hawaii. With alcohol and hors d'oeuvres and a sit down dinner, we will be paying about $280/person. Weddings are expensive, I nearly fell over when I found out chivari chairs cost $12.75/each to rent and that flowers will cost over $10K.

Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
warmuster is on a distinguished road

RE : Average Per person $ for receptions and bridal changing room?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-30-02 , 04:52 PM

Hi,
I am getting married this Nov 9th and we are paying 200 per person plus tax. The wedding is in a fancy hotel on Long Island, New York, a NYC suburb. Its high but good considering the excellent food and service and decor we are getting. Prices here are usually 100 and up for a really nice place. My price includes champagne before the ceremnony, full bar and champagne throught the evening, a cocktail hour with carving station, Tuscan station, and 12 types of passed hors'doeuvres, salad, shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, chicken or sea bass, dessert and wedding cake. The toal price also includes valet parking for all the guest, a waiter for each table, security, a suite for us to spend the night in and one for my parents.
Its a huge amount of money but tis a dream event for us and our families. This area is crazy and I feel very fortunate we can do this. It is a shame how much weddings can be.

Old siloxane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
siloxane is on a distinguished road

Don't hate me....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 10-30-02 , 07:50 PM

But we are spending under $30 per person (maybe $40). The reason I have the maybe is because if we do not exceed $4500, we have to pay a $1700 room rental, so to aviod that, I will add guests or give them more food! If we go with the tent wedding, will be $15 per person for food and $10 per person for location.

If I go with the hotel, we get 4 hours of a room with:
coordinator
room for bridal party to rest
free hotel room for that night
free cake cutting
dance floor
extra room for cake and presents (the extra room is opened and used as a walkthrough)
free votive candles for every seat
free cake cutter and server
discounted rooms for all your guests
and a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

siloxane signature
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
-Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets
Old vtbio99

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
vtbio99 is on a distinguished road

VA Beach, VA Wedding Site
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-11-03 , 08:38 PM

Hi there,
I just recently got engaged on Nov 5 and am now spending my every free moment researching!

We have finally decided on a site in Va Beach. After comparing prices from here in Northern VA,DC area and down there in Va Beach we have realized that the prices are much more reasonable down there. Since we grew up there traveling won't be a problem with family members.

The fees come to a 3800 minimum food and beverage purchase with a 10% tax and 20% service charge. There are additional fees as well- dance floor set up, bartender set up and take down, and room fees. The champagne toast will be included in fees, as well as the cake cutting fee.
For F&B it looks like we are spending about 50 bucks per person for 75 people.

I think these are reasonable rates.
I'm wondering if it's possible to negotiate fees though...anyone know?

I can't imagine spending as much as the New Yorkers are spending....

Read Messages in: Reception Halls All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Help Halls in Chicagoland Area Please Help by medusa980
Up a Topic Welcome posted in JEWELRY by GilbertZ
Older:
Down a Topic Get Married at a Museum by Bella
Down a Topic Thin girdle 4 or 6 claws posted in DIAMONDS by Bluegnoo