Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old velimir

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
velimir is on a distinguished road

rhinogold vs matrix vs others
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-04-09 , 11:54 AM

hi! i'm new!!

i dont know exactly where should i post this, but anyway, i will do it here.

i want to purchase a software to design jewelry. i have read something about rhinogold, jewelcad, matrix..., but i actually dont know about that at all.

matrix seems nice but sooooooo expensive.
people suggested me rhinogold, they said its an amazing software! what do you think??

thanks so much!!!!

veli

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: rhinogold vs matrix vs others
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-04-09 , 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimir
matrix seems nice but sooooooo expensive.
people suggested me rhinogold, they said its an amazing software! what do you think??

I think that it all depends on what you're going to be doing with the designs you make and how much experience you have with actually making jewelry. All of the plugins to Rhino are designed to make doing particular tasks faster and easier. Things such as modeling pave and doing specific prong types is really fast. If you're doing anything outside of those specific tasks you'll need to use the base Rhino tools to do them and so you'd need to know how to use Rhino first anyway. I'd get Rhino and Flamingo first, mess around with them and then decide if you want any added plugins.

If you want to make, (or have made for you), the pieces that you're designing, and don't have any experience in actually making jewelry, then you'll need to do that for a while in order to understand the relationship between the computer model and the actual piece. I use an independent model maker/caster to make my rough castings and even though they do a great job, the castings are never the same size as the computer model, due to shrinkage of molds and then the wax in the molds. Their surface finishes are also rather rough which is due to the way that the wax model is "grown". If you don't take these things into account you could end up with a piece that was unwearable once it was finished, (due to everything being too thin).

If you're not going to make the designs, but just want to make fine rendered images, then I would suggest getting a better rendering package than Flamingo. I would suggest getting Maxwell Render or V-Ray. Doing great images is actually tougher than it sounds, since all of the part geometries need to be exactly as they will be when the piece is finished...corners filleted and rounded as well as sizes being thinner that the model used for casting. To be honest, if you're doing custom work it's just not possible to make an artistic rendering AND a castable model rendering, since it would take longer to make both models than it would to make the actual part. I usually just make a rendering of the castable model and tell people to use their imagination to see the piece being more highly finished. The attached picture is designed close to being done as a castable design. When it's finished it'll be a bit thinner and have all of the edges rounded. This was rendered in Maxwell and it took 6 hours of computer time to get to this stage in the rendering. The gems sure do come out nicely though.

You've also got the problem of getting decent stone models to use. If you've got the money, then TechGems is pretty good. If you're on a budget you can design any flat facet gem type using GemCad and export it to Rhino using .dxf format. This is neat since it only costs $95 and many designs are available for free at various sites on-line.

All of these things have pretty steep learning curves and you need to know a lot of "stuff" in order to make decent, workable models...BUT a lot of people are using these things and making some really neat pieces, so it's well within the range of anyone who has the desire to learn. Let me know if you need any help or gem models, as I have a huge number to choose from.

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 02-04-09 at 01:17 PM.
Attached Images
Ron Final Render.jpg

Old velimir

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
velimir is on a distinguished road

Re: rhinogold vs matrix vs others
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-05-09 , 10:15 AM

thanks Michael
so nice information!!
I actually want so start designing and then model (getting a machine) my designs.
I guess most of the softwares can work with the Modeling machine (as Roland), right?
thanks so much michael!
keep in touch!

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic mr Matthew Hunt by matthunt1973
Up a Topic What kind of setting is this posted in JEWELRY by civiapt
Older:
Down a Topic Hi I m new here by magicre
Down a Topic Appraisal Accuracy Early Round Brilliant posted in DIAMONDS by alwayswondering