Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Re: A quick introduction
Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 06-03-06 , 12:06 PM

kleinKath what an amazing ring! I think you posted this while I was reading, but not yet registered, so I didn't have a chance to tell you. The Y-Z colored diamonds are my favorite, and yours looks amazing. I also think you picked a nice band to go along with it. I like the little gap you're sporting between the two.

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 06-03-06 , 12:14 PM

That band looks perfect with it! Just beautiful!~Ronda

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 06-03-06 , 01:14 PM

Ooooooo! More DBL eye candy to drool over! That's gorgeous! The diamond band looks lovely with it too.

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 153
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 06-04-06 , 02:58 AM

Thanks for all of your compliments! Especially becuase you all have so many beautiful things that I drool over all of the time.

Snooper: My band is a half eternity 0.5 total weight. I haven't noticed that the yellow gold is coming off onto the white. I am more worried that at some point the rubbing will cause the white to "wear off" if you know what I mean.

Shrinkage is a funny thing! When I first got the ring it felt soooo big. None of my firends at home have diamonds anywhere near the size of mine, and here in The Netherlands very few women wear diamonds at all. So, I told the husband that I didn't think that I would feel comfortable with something any bigger.

Well, that was Feb and now in June I am already thinking wouldn't it be nice if it was just a little bigger... I haven't broken that to the DH just yet. I thought that it would be better to wait.

Annie: I know that you are anxiously awaiting your ER. I am looking forward to seeing what you decide on!

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 06-04-06 , 05:27 AM

Hey Kleinkath! I didn't know you were in the Netherlands - me too! We're in South Limburg. I also own a DBL ring and am also suffering shrinkage - I'm furiously saving for an upgrade. Do you think you will convince your hubby you NEED something bigger? I have to admit I haven't broken the news to DH yet either. I figure I'll save the money first then tell him when it's no hit to his wallet! I'd be happy to be your ring buddy and provide moral support!

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 06-04-06 , 08:56 AM

Hi DJ. I am in Rotterdam now, but was in Maastricht for 4 1/2 years before that. In total I have been here 6 years. The DH is Dutch, so I moved over to be with him.

No...there is no way that I could tell him so soon that I will be needing something bigger. He would faint dead away at that one.

I think that your idea about waiting until you have some money saved up is a good one! And, thanks for the offer of support. As soon as either of our husbands find out what we are thinking we will need all the support that we can get!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 06-04-06 , 10:27 AM

Well I just had a funny experience: my DH with very little prompting from me told me that I could have whatever diamond I want as long as I save up 50% of the cost! So I showed him the 5+ct yellow radiant ring on DBL and said that was what I wanted ($51,350). He looks at me all matter of fact and says, "OK." I nearly fell off my chair! We won't be in a position to buy for a couple of years but the fact that he was so fine with it just blew me away! I've been a stay home mom for the last 6 years but as soon as the holidays are over I'm getting myself a job! In fact, I may clear the house of everything we own! Ebay, here I come!

We live about 20 minutes outside of Maastricht - what a small world! We've been here over 3 years and spent the 2.5 years before that in Heidelberg. Did you ever take a trip to Antwerp? We've been talking about going and I would love to talk to someone who has been already. Funny thing is though that I can't imagine buying anything - I'm so fixated with David's stuff!

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 06-04-06 , 10:45 AM

Wow, too exciting DJ!

I work and make as much as my DH, but he still goes crazy when I talk about a new addition to the jewelry family. He doesn't know that I am already talking with David about something new. (Not an upgrade...yet)

We did go to Antwerp when I was talking with David about this ring. It was too fun to try so many different things on. And, I would love to go back again just to see everything. But, it is like any where else. You have to be REALLY careful. I told David that I had one guy try to sell me a J as a yellow diamond

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 06-04-06 , 11:01 AM

Do you speak dutch then? I don't - I have picked up very little being here so my job prospects are limited to the US facilities here. Occasionally we here about local companies looking for English speakers but it is rare. Boy, if I could make as much as my DH, I'd have that ring in a few months! Somehow, I don't see that happening!

Ooooooo! What do you have plans for? Earrings? Pendant?

I had heard they could be full of themselves but a J as a yellow?!?! I guess they think most people don't know what they're talking about. Did you find it a 'hard sell' kind of place? I really hate feeling pushed.

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 06-04-06 , 11:23 AM

I speak Dutch, but I wouldn't say that I am fluent. I can read it and understand it much better than I speak it. But, when it is necessary I can get things done. Actually, the reason that I am in Rotterdam is that this is where I finally found a job. My work is totally in English. My DH still lives in Maastricht and comes here most weekends. Not ideal to say the least But, I struggled for most of the time that I was there to find a job with no luck at all in Maastricht.

As for Antwerp it was really funny that the guy tried to sell me the J because at the time I had on my pendant that is yellow, as well as the brown diamond that I had before this one. It was obvious that I knew at least a little about colored diamonds.

There were no hard sells that I remember. Most of the people there were really nice. What happens is that they would hear my US accent they would think that I was from the US which is a price without VAT. Then they would find out that I lived here and then make me a different offer for paying cash. The impression that I got is that you never really pay what is on the price tag. There was a pendant that I really wanted, but didn't push it since I was getting the ring from David.

As for my new project: When I got the cushion cut what I really wanted was a yellow EC. I am hoping that David can find me a few small ones to make a band out of, but we will have to see...

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 06-04-06 , 12:58 PM

Sounds like the salesman wasn't the most perceptive! I had heard that there's quite some wiggle room for the prices in Antwerp but I hate to haggle. I was in sales myself for a few years but I never got past that awkward feeling!

I will keep my ears close to the ground for English speaking jobs in this area. Obviously, I wouldn't mind finding something for myself so I'm sure I'll get to hear about opportunities. I'll keep you posted because I'm sure you would like to be back with DH. I know BMW were looking about a year ago but I don't know what field the posts were in. I wonder if the International School in Maastricht would have anything for you - I know the main language there is English.

An EC band sounds lovely! Didn't David have a bunch of smaller yellow ECs that he was looking into making into a bracelet? I might be remembering that all wrong! I bet it will be beautiful.

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 06-04-06 , 02:51 PM

How exciting DJ, and KK! You guys both speak Dutch! My husband is part Dutch, but he doesn't speak the language.

I think DBL was making, or consider making a yellow EC piece. Not sure what came of that...

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 06-04-06 , 04:29 PM

Snooper, I would say that I speak some Dutch and my DH would just say "What did you say?!?"

Yeah, David did have some little yellow ECs, but ended up deciding not to keep them. So, I am hopeful that others will show up at some point. I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#39 @ 06-04-06 , 04:36 PM

I never said I could speak Dutch!!!! I seriously CAN'T! I can say 'Bedankt' and 'alstublieft' and that's about it! Oh, and I know a few numbers! After that, forget it! Thank goodness virtually every Dutch person I have ever met speaks great English!

KK: fingers crossed with the EC band - keep us posted.

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Hi from a New Member by csf97
Up a Topic Are You Allergic To An I 1 Clarity Diamond posted in DIAMONDS by barry
Older:
Down a Topic Good to Meet Everyone by orchard1973
Down a Topic Buying sapphire from Palagems posted in GEMSTONES by faibos