Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old missyricker

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
missyricker is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 03-21-03 , 06:51 AM

I feel so bad for you two. Gas is horrible for babies.
Here are some home remedies from my doctor (who just retired at the age of 72). These worked wonders for my baby!!!

Mylacon drops work great, but first warm it up (please test the temp first) and add a little sugar to it (loosens up the stool). And a warm water bottle with a 1/4tsp. sugar. It really sooths the baby's stomach and helps them "poop" easier.

Also try laying your baby between your knees, belly down, and gently rock side to side.

I tried this every day. Within in a week, WOW what a difference. She slept better, and she "farted" alot, but with ease...

Good luck with your baby, I know it isn't easy and can be stressful for you. Remember to take a little time out for yourself (relaxing bath..make the hubby cook..ect.) Then when she is having another gas attack it won't be so hard on you.

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 104
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 03-21-03 , 09:39 PM

Yes, the soapbox it is!
Nursing is so wonderful and so natural. It is doctors who mess it up for moms.
(Even tho I am married to one, they do not know anything about it.)
The less you supplement the more milk you will produce.
It is definitely supply and demand. I never supplemented until they got solid food. No pacifiers. I nursed my son till he was 2 and have no bad feelings about it- it even helped on airplane trips to soothe him.
Lactation consultant is a great idea.
La Leche League is free and listed in the phone book. If not ask your pediatrician or check your hospital BulletinBoard.
A more supportive bunch of people you will never meet.

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Oh, and one more thing...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 03-21-03 , 09:43 PM

You can try with Julia on her back hold her feet and press towards her stomach like artificial respiration moves after someone is recovered from water.
It kind of helps easing the gas out.
HTH

Old Cassandra

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Cassandra is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 03-21-03 , 09:44 PM

<-- did breastfeeding for the first four months for Sabrina. Then she started biting me and I said that's it. I noticed that I produced a ton of milk on one side, and hardly any on the other. BUT, I had to get a lot of stimulation going with the pump to really produce milk, so I pumped several times a day to keep production up, and then bottled some in the fridge so that if I wanted to nap and someone else was watching the baby, they could bottle feed... Also, I just thought about it. What kind of bottles do you use? The regular solid hollow plastic ones? We use Playtex Nursers that have inserts and drop-ins (It's an open bottle with no "bottom"). These are a lot easier to clean than regular bottles, AND another benefit is that the baby does not swallow all that air that they normally do with the regular bottles. Maybe it's worth looking into if you haven't already?

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 147
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 03-21-03 , 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pookarina

Nursed babies don't get constipation, don't get gas, don't get colic, don't get ear infections- the list of benefits goes on and on.

With the utmost respect to Pook:

I know the pro-LeLeche leaguers are very fervent about their cause; but I still maintain that they can swing the pendulum of the mother's self-esteem in the completely opposite direction with their fervor.

I do not advocate the use of broad statements such as the ones I have quoted above. My SIL nursed my niece EXCLUSIVELY. An artificial nipple never touched the lips of my niece in the first 10 months of her life, nor did she ever ingest a nano-ounce of formula. EVER. (My niece was the one I was refering to in another thread to T-Rex re: simethicone)....and even with the degree to which and passion with which she was breastfed, she was *STILL* on the simethicone drops for *months*, for the worst gas and digestion/constipation problems we had ever seen. That baby, fully and exclusively breastfed, suffered as much as T-Rex's baby is suffering. At age 7 months, she developed an ear infection.

It is for this reason that I kind of bristle at this kind of gross generalization, however well-intended, made by those who appear to be very zealous in their endorsements. (The scientist/researcher in me cringes at never/always statements....) It is simply my opinion that posts such as those can have a backlash-effect (not on T-Rex per se, but in general) of creating MORE anxiety, MORE feelings of first-time-parent inadequacy, than it actually helps.

As I said, and it's worth repeating...this is said with all due respect to Pook's point of view. I KNOW she means well.

T-Rex: you are doing *fine*, and this too will pass. You are a fine mother, and a wonderful advocate for your daughter.

You have gotten quite a trove of advice here, from us, your concerned and involved cyber-friends. We will continue to be here for you for as long as you want us.

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 03-21-03 , 10:52 PM

I didn't mention breastfeeding to start anything. I just wanted T-Rex to know that it is still an option. I know many women who had problems and didn't think they could do it but with the proper help it worked for them. I'm not saying this is the case with you T-Rex. You seem to at a point were you don't know what else to do for your little angel and that is the only thing I know so I gave you my suggestion.

I agree with you Yogi on the fact that nursing babies can still have problems but I think Pook was maybe saying in general they do not have these problems. With me my daughter still needed to be burped and got gas once in a while if I ate something that didn't agree with her system, she is 18 months old and has never been sick except for the usual temp. when she is teething. I'm very lucky for this. Is it because I nursed her, I have no idea.

T-Rex you are doing everything you can for your little one. I hope everything works out for the both of you.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 03-22-03 , 03:04 AM

I think it is worse for a woman's self esteem to be told that she cannot breastfeed than that she can do it.

Breastfed babies do find their own rhythms, not necessarily ours.
My totally breastfed daughter pooped once every nine days but was never constipated.
This is a hard concept to grasp, espeically for non-believers.

In many countries people still believe that formula is better for babies than mothers' milk. That is fine. Feed your babies however you like to.

I still say that mothers, not doctors, are a better source of info and support.
I still feel that nursing was far more convenient too, but then again, I am lazy.

And, what the heck, with a good lactation consultant you can even get your husband to nurse the baby so you can get back to sleep or work.

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
TRex is on a distinguished road

breastfeeding
Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 03-22-03 , 11:49 AM

trust me -- i have really tried breastfeeding. i still feel terrible that i cannot do it. not to be too personal here, but after trying for the first few days after she was born to exclusively breastfeeding it was very obvious she wasn't getting enough. the lc's told me to stick with it as it will be much better when my milk comes in. you know what -- i don't think it ever did! i never engorged, never had any leakage, and all this time i was still putting her to the breast. i rented the hospital pump, took fenugreek; did all the things the lc's told me to do. i would pump for at least 20 minutes only to get about 1/2 oz -- total! in fact, my bra size did not increase at all during my pregnancy. and julia doesn't even like the pacifier, she prefers her own fingers. la leche told me that it just mind over matter and if i really wanted to i could. you can imagine how i felt when i got off the phone with them. the lc at the hospital even admitted that for some reason a lot of first time moms have trouble breastfeeding (usuaaly due to low milk production) but have much better success with the second child.

pook and musthave-- i know you mean well, but reading your posts made me feel worse about not being able to.

btw -- bf babies do get colic -- my neighbor exclusively bf her 3 daughters and the first one had horrible colic, so did my friend's son.

it's interesting that she still turns her head toward the breast. i still will sometimes offer it to her. she takes it for about 2 seconds then instantly pulls away. it really hurts-- i have used quite a bit of ibuprofen (which btw is not excreted in breast milk).

oh, as far as bottles, we tried the playtex ones with the disposible liners but she had trouble with the nipple. one of my husband's friends suggested dr. brown's. they have this straw in the middle that vents the air. those have helped a bit.

i know it will pass; i just feel so bad for her right now.

Last edited by T-Rex : 03-22-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old msmithmomx2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
msmithmomx2 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=59, In=4

Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 03-22-03 , 12:12 PM

Oh T-Rex, please don't beat yourself up over this. It is so obvious that you are a very loving mother. The fact that you have run yourself ragged buying different formulas and looking for solutions shows just how much you care. Chin up, your a good mommy! You are doing the best that you can and you can do no more. Many children are not breastfed and they turn out just fine. I have to admit that originally I did not intend to breast feed my kids, I ended up trying it because we just could not afford formula at the time. Luckily it worked out or we would have been in trouble financially. (My babies were not planned but I did the best we could, since my ex was unreliable and mainly just a jerk). The point is, yes, I bf, but it wasn't because I wanted to and you know what? I'm still a good mommy and so are you. I know several mommies who are just awesome with their kids but could not stand the thought of breast feeding. You tried your best and it didn't work. It's nothing you did. It sounds like there is a medical explanation since your milk never came in. Many women cannot breastfeed and many more don't even try. At least you tried! Give yourself credit where it is due. This will all work out and eventually, your baby will grow out of these problems. Hold your head up T-Rex, you love your baby and in the end, that is all that matters!

msmithmomx2 signature
Melissa

"There are two ways of spreading light -- to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

"Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
and
sit softly on your shoulder."

-- Henry David Thoreau

"Itís hard to beat a person that never gives up."

-- Babe Ruth
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16802, In=5944
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 03-22-03 , 01:52 PM

I don't know about that Pooky about babies not getting colic if they nurse. My oldest I nursed and he was terrible for 6 months with colic. He did grow fast though and they told me that was why he was colicky. He did get better once I stopped though. after that experience, I was afraid to nurse the other two and they were as happy as little larks.
I think every baby is different. The best advice I can give is to listen to your pediatrician. What works for some might not work for you and visa versa.
And good luck T Rex. This is a hard time right now for you. Keep your chin up. Your a great Moma!

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 03-22-03 at 01:57 PM.
Old CnSpotts

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CnSpotts is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 03-22-03 , 02:04 PM

Just my .o2 here...if all else fails have the baby checked for a problem at her esophagus and stomach attachment. My SIL went through a horrible time with her daughter for several months beyond colic. It turned out she needed surgery to repair a tiny hole there. She was fine right afterwards, no more colic.

Old Musthave

My Profile
Sapphire : offline
Years:

My Karma
Musthave is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 03-22-03 , 05:54 PM

I apologize if what I said made you feel bad. I hope you know that was not my intention. I just stated the some facts. Some people donít know them and it has helped many women who think they canít do it begin nursing. I know you are very upset about it. Not being able to nurse is not the end of the world. I was formula feed and turned out alright (some might disagree)

With how sensitive Julia is breastmilk probably would do the same. I really feel horrible for you. I bet your heart just aches when this is all going on.

I do want people to know that sometimes it takes 3-5 days for the milk to come in, sometimes longer and sometimes it is because the mother is so stressed over it that the milk doesnít come in. I know I had no problems but if I had a really stressful day my milk would take forever to let down. I know there is nothing you can do when youíre worried about it. The more you try Iím sure the worse it is. My cousin cried for a week because her baby wouldnít nurse, at the end of 7 days she finally decided to use formula and low and behold the baby finally attached and started.

And again I didnít know if this was even an option for you I just wanted you to know.

It will get better I promise.

You are a very loving mother and this too shall pass.

I do hope you find something that works for her. Again I apologize if I made you feel bad.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 90
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3879, In=85
Referrals: 1

Re: breastfeeding
Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 03-22-03 , 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Rex
i still feel terrible that i cannot do it.

Sweetie, stop that right now! You are the only one that knows what is best for you and your baby. Be confident that you have made the decision that is right for you, and let it go. You aren't 'causing' all her problems. You already know I am a breastfeeding and La Leche advocate. I already know you have tried and tried and learned and tried yet again. There comes a point where your frustration and anxiety over the whole thing can actually outweight some of the benefits of nursing.

SO, please don't feel like people are telling you that you have done it 'wrong'. You are the only one that knows what goes on in your relationship with your baby. Take a deep breath, and trust your instincts. Give yourself permission to make your choices as a mother. STOP feeling bad about them. That is an order!

By the way, are you and the baby getting 'breaks' from each other? Are you feeling guilty about leaving her with someone else because she is fussy? If you aren't taking some time for yourself, you might consider that too. It might help you both calm down a little.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#39 @ 03-23-03 , 01:29 AM

I think you misunderstood my intention.
I was trying to give you ENCOURAGEMENT not discouragement.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.
I was trying to present something that I thought you wanted to be an *achievable* goal.
I was not trying to make you feel bad or inadequate in any way.

Read Messages in: Baby Room All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Cheap baby stuff by memphisluvr
Up a Topic high quality rubies and emeralds posted in GEMSTONES by Emeralds2Love
Older:
Down a Topic Hand that almost rocked my cradle help by CarmenTN
Down a Topic Question for Royal Crown owners posted in DIAMONDS by elizabeth17